Flying Legends 2019

Re: Flying Legends 2019

Postby Ryan. on Mon 13 May 2019, 8:49 am

County1884 wrote:On a side note has anyone got and idea when the CR42 is due to fly? It looks like it's been pretty much finished for ages now.

My guess would be quite some time. For an aircraft as rare as the CR-42 the paperwork for permission to fly isn't going to be easy to obtain. Only need look at the HAC's Fury and currently their DH-9 for other rare aircraft that have had rather long periods of time between near completion and flying, indeed the DH-9 is still yet to fly.

The fact it hasn't had an engine run at Duxford may mean there's internal work to complete first as well.

I'd like to be wrong but I dont see it flying for a while yet.
Ryan.

Postby phreakf4 on Mon 13 May 2019, 2:42 pm

Ryan. wrote:
County1884 wrote:On a side note has anyone got and idea when the CR42 is due to fly? It looks like it's been pretty much finished for ages now.

My guess would be quite some time. For an aircraft as rare as the CR-42 the paperwork for permission to fly isn't going to be easy to obtain. Only need look at the HAC's Fury and currently their DH-9 for other rare aircraft that have had rather long periods of time between near completion and flying, indeed the DH-9 is still yet to fly.

The fact it hasn't had an engine run at Duxford may mean there's internal work to complete first as well.

I'd like to be wrong but I dont see it flying for a while yet.

When a friend and I visited Duxford late last year we were told by a TFC engineer that it was awaiting the fabrication/installation of a fuel tank and that as a result (as with almost all TFC projects) "It will be ready when it is ready".
nothing is confirmed at a show until it's u/c hits the tarmac or it's running in for it's display.....
phreakf4

Postby st24 on Mon 13 May 2019, 2:58 pm

Ryan. wrote:

I'd like to be wrong but I dont see it for flying for a while yet.

Apparently the DH 9 was airborne this afternoon! My source isn't the best at aircraft recognition so it could have been a Spitfire.. :wink: :grin:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby Ryan. on Mon 13 May 2019, 3:59 pm

st24 wrote:
Ryan. wrote:

I'd like to be wrong but I dont see it for flying for a while yet.

Apparently the DH 9 was airborne this afternoon! My source isn't the best at aircraft recognition so it could have been a Spitfire.. :wink: :grin:

Indeed. Was just about to change my post. :grin:
Ryan.

Postby Tom105 on Tue 14 May 2019, 12:49 pm

T-20 sea fury G-INVN added
Thomas
Tom105

Postby Mike on Tue 14 May 2019, 5:25 pm

I've not looked at the entire list, but it seems to me as though all of the announcements so far have been for Duxford residents.
Mike

Postby classicaviation on Tue 14 May 2019, 7:23 pm

Mike wrote:I've not looked at the entire list, but it seems to me as though all of the announcements so far have been for Duxford residents.

More or less yeah. Nothing continental announced as yet.
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm
classicaviation

Postby Airshowhammer on Wed 15 May 2019, 5:07 pm

A pipe dream but one of my favourite wartime aircraft the C-46 Commando if she is still out and about in America.

Would love to see some more bombers added, B-25's please. and are there any A26 Invaders about?

Sorry, tad over enthusiastic first legends since I was about 7.
Airshowhammer

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Wed 15 May 2019, 7:20 pm

I wonder what the chances are of the Russian IL-2 that was rumoured to be coming last year?

Let's just hope it's third time lucky for Berlin Express this year.
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby classicaviation on Mon 20 May 2019, 3:24 pm

Jakub.Zurek wrote:I wonder what the chances are of the Russian IL-2 that was rumoured to be coming last year?

Every so often they rumour about themselves coming on Facebook posts, and they have done it again this time around. Whether it happens or not is another thing....
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm
classicaviation

Postby Bluepig70 on Fri 24 May 2019, 9:27 am

Flying Legends 2019 is July 13/14. Tickets on sale now!
Red Arrows fly on Saturday.

https://www.flyinglegends.com/aircraft.html
Bluepig70

Postby Bluepig70 on Fri 24 May 2019, 9:34 am

The lineup https://www.flyinglegends.com/aircraft.html is very familiar (perhaps too much if you go year-on-year). Hope to see more additions but would want more variations of type and some larger aircraft. Doesn't seem like the BBMF are going to be well represented this year (no Lanc).

Weighing up whether to go or not.
Bluepig70

Postby Chris G on Tue 28 May 2019, 9:21 am

Display debut of the Ultimate Fighters team at Flying Legends just added on their FB page.
Chris G

Postby jalfrezi on Tue 28 May 2019, 9:42 am

With a little over six weeks to go, I'm quite surprised that there are no overseas participants announced yet! :sad:
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Postby Jakesplanes on Tue 28 May 2019, 11:08 am

Normally I’d dash up for Duxford after the Saturday at Yeovilton but I might stay in the west country this year and dedicate my Sunday to cider.
IG profile "jakesplanes"
Jakesplanes

Postby cma on Tue 28 May 2019, 9:31 pm

No Hurricanes confirmed so far...

What about the Bf109E based at Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar?

Do you think some american DC-3/C-47 will stay in Europe until Flying Legends 2019? Oshkosh will be 1 - 2 weeks after FL, so they have enought time to return to USA.

I hope we have some interesting news on the occasion of the 75th anniversary of D-Day and don't stay on the usual planes...

Regards from Spain,
Conrad
cma

Postby Mike on Tue 28 May 2019, 9:34 pm

So far we have the debut of the Ultimate Fighters formation display plus The Horseman to look forward to, as well as a repeat of last year's quartet of Buchons.
Mike

Postby timuss on Wed 29 May 2019, 9:49 am

What has happened to the Fury that came over a few years ago in Australian markings that had the smoke winders on havent seen that out and about for a long time.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby Abbo46 on Wed 29 May 2019, 9:50 am

Still operated by Christophe Jaquard, AFAIK.
Abbo46

Postby Elliott Marsh on Wed 29 May 2019, 11:04 am

cma wrote:Do you think some american DC-3/C-47 will stay in Europe until Flying Legends 2019? Oshkosh will be 1 - 2 weeks after FL, so they have enought time to return to USA.

FWIW, Flying Legends is listed on the Historic Flight Foundation's events calendar at http://historicflight.org/hf/news-events/. Would be good to get another run at seeing the Pan Am machine.

The smokewinding Fury is indeed still owned by CJ, albeit it is currently listed for sale. It's been active on the European circuit, displaying at some of the big shows on the continent (including La Ferté in June and Melun in September). A couple of years ago it flew in formation with the Hunter and Rafale at La Ferté, and flew a formation aerobatic display with said Hunter. Impressive stuff!
Elliott Marsh

Postby timuss on Wed 29 May 2019, 7:32 pm

Abbo46 wrote:Still operated by Christophe Jaquard, AFAIK.

Good to hear would be nice to see that again.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Wed 29 May 2019, 9:22 pm

cma wrote:What about the Bf109E based at Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar?

It flew early in the year - there’s a nice video on BGHH’s Facebook. But I haven’t seen or heard anything since? Would absolutely love to see it.
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby sdad on Thu 30 May 2019, 11:53 am

Did the Ultimate Fighters not do any formation work at the Duxford show last weekend? From the manner of their arrival on the Friday and their practice the previous day at Sywell, I thought it would be their first show.
sdad

Postby Abbo46 on Thu 30 May 2019, 11:55 am

Mustang & P-47 displayed, yes.
Abbo46

Postby sdad on Thu 30 May 2019, 12:07 pm

I couldn't believe the four in formation doing loops - all different aircraft but so close.
sdad

PreviousNext

Return to IWM Duxford Events