Duxford Airshows 2021

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
southyorkshireman

Re: Duxford Airshows 2021

Post by southyorkshireman »

Definitely an excellent day's flying. Nice to see the Mustang and P47 doing a display of the energy the September show had implied!

Either I'm going deaf or the typhoon is quieter than it used to be!

We had no issues getting in but were in the disabled parking as we took my Mum along. The only gripe here was the number of people that seemed to be just parking in the main car park anyway without blue badges that weren't being told to head to the north side. We arrived at 11 so were parked on the grass by the A505 fence.

We were told that we could drive round and drop my Mum at the entrance but there dodn't seem to be any indication that the space would be kept whilst more vehicles were still coming in, so we just parked and managed. Exiting was quick but the opposite problem, we were forced to go down the A505 when we needed the M11! Did a circuit around the airfield and via Duxford village to get back to the roundabout. (good job the road had reopened)

October can be great for a show as we saw, but equally it must be a bigger gamble, as Shuttleworth showed the week before.

st24

Post by st24 »

phreakf4 wrote:
Mon 11 Oct 2021, 10:02 am
Once again we have several attendees complaining about the time taken to exit the car park after the show and once again much of the delay was due to the same factors, which also apply at most other shows.

Firstly the old syndrome of people arriving over a considerable period and then all wanting to leave at the same time.

Secondly the usual selfish behaviour of some who, seeing that a queue has formed, decided to try to circumvent it thereby forming several more queues all trying to leave via one exit.

Finally, if traffic had been permitted to turn right out of the northside car park it would have stopped traffic in both directions on the A505 (a surprisingly busy road at the best of times) which would have not only prevented traffic leaving the visitor car park but would have caused tailbacks all the way to the M11 roundabout (and possibly past it). If you do not believe that then you did not attend some of the big shows at Duxford in the past when cars were queueing both ways on the M11 to get in, that being one of the reasons I always use the A1(M)/A505 route to Duxford on show days.

I did not rush to the car (in the northside car park) as soon as the flying display ended but chose to take it easy and photograph/video some of the departures (and the return of the P-40) then took a leisurely walk back to the car, packed away the cameras, chairs etc., had a cup of tea and then joined the (by now much-reduced) queue and was back on the A505 within about 5 minutes of starting the engine. True, I had to drive up to the M11 roundabout to re-join the A505 to the West, but that was no hardship and then the only delays Westbound were the two sets of traffic lights which are always there anyway.
Phreak,. I've been going to Duxford shows for a loooong time, I think 1980 may have been my first one, with the ATC. Even through the halcyon pre ticket only days with a capacity crowd - (remember 2008 when every unwashed Tom Dick and Harry, their dog, cat and tortoise rocked up following RIATs cancellation?) Im sure I've never waited that long to exit. The traffic "control" was a shambles and proves the use of the admin area is not suitable for a big event. Land warfare museum field is the best option, never, ever had an issue getting out of that one , or indeed the one opposite (noted that that one has an alternative escape route through the farm units) And why couldn't 2 exit lanes be formed and timed release made of (say) 10 cars to turn right every few minutes? Busy it may be but the M11 it ain't.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

phreakf4 wrote:
Mon 11 Oct 2021, 10:02 am
Once again we have several attendees complaining about the time taken to exit the car park after the show and once again much of the delay was due to the same factors, which also apply at most other shows.

Firstly the old syndrome of people arriving over a considerable period and then all wanting to leave at the same time.

Secondly the usual selfish behaviour of some who, seeing that a queue has formed, decided to try to circumvent it thereby forming several more queues all trying to leave via one exit.

Finally, if traffic had been permitted to turn right out of the northside car park it would have stopped traffic in both directions on the A505 (a surprisingly busy road at the best of times) which would have not only prevented traffic leaving the visitor car park but would have caused tailbacks all the way to the M11 roundabout (and possibly past it). If you do not believe that then you did not attend some of the big shows at Duxford in the past when cars were queueing both ways on the M11 to get in, that being one of the reasons I always use the A1(M)/A505 route to Duxford on show days.

I did not rush to the car (in the northside car park) as soon as the flying display ended but chose to take it easy and photograph/video some of the departures (and the return of the P-40) then took a leisurely walk back to the car, packed away the cameras, chairs etc., had a cup of tea and then joined the (by now much-reduced) queue and was back on the A505 within about 5 minutes of starting the engine. True, I had to drive up to the M11 roundabout to re-join the A505 to the West, but that was no hardship and then the only delays Westbound were the two sets of traffic lights which are always there anyway.
the issue i saw was that whilst there were attendants at the exit points on the hard roads, there was no one within the car park directing people out to these hard roads, so it turned into a "Well, there's no need for that" of people guessing.

ultimately, on the north side there is only one exit from it, but when i was sat there waiting for the cars to leave, there was no visible presence of any attendants in the car park itself, nor was there any real signage of which way to go.

this is not an isolated incident, this happens almost every time they have an event on. if the people the hire to manage the car parks can't manage the car parks then IWM need to get in people who can.

timuss

Post by timuss »

This was my first air day event was suprised they didn't use the Landwarfare end to park people?
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

timuss wrote:
Mon 11 Oct 2021, 5:03 pm
This was my first air day event was suprised they didn't use the Landwarfare end to park people?
This was a very strange decision.

Personally I would have gladly paid an extra tenner to park on the airfield side.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Mon 11 Oct 2021, 8:31 pm
timuss wrote:
Mon 11 Oct 2021, 5:03 pm
This was a very strange decision.

Personally I would have gladly paid an extra tenner to park on the airfield side.
Can't understand the logic in not opening it to be honest, when i drove past around 10.20 the gate was open which made me think they were going to use it. Obviously they didn't...

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

What a great end to the season. It was nice to see the Kestrel flying again along with the Lancaster's only appearance this year and I really liked the Mustang and Thunderbolt display. The weather certainly helped (unless you're a photographer) and all in all it was a very relaxed and enjoyable day. Well done Duxford, more of the same next year please.

BluffPilot

Post by BluffPilot »

Was a fantastic day, topped by a flight in classic wings whilst the sun set. Not sure what the complaints about parking are, had no trouble getting in or out, and I'm sure if you were made to stand for hours in a car park getting paid barely anything whilst getting abuse hurled at you, you'd lack some enthusiasm as well.

Getting thousands of cars out of 2 exits onto a main road is never going to be fast.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

BluffPilot wrote:
Tue 12 Oct 2021, 11:02 am
Getting thousands of cars out of 2 exits onto a main road is never going to be fast.
no, but IWM have the option of parking cars so they can come out of multiple exits, for whatever reason they decided to stick everyone over on the north side where there is only one exit and it is notoriously difficult to get out of.

we of course don't know how much the car park attendant's were getting paid, but people were getting heated because nothing was moving. regardless of pay, the core business of a parking management team is unsurprisingly to manage a car park.

realistically, none of us expect to get out of the car park immediately after the show, but from my vantage point at the bottom end of the car park, there was no one guiding traffic to the exit points and that was the problem. i was sat in the same spot for 30 minutes and there was no evidence that traffic was even leaving the car park. maybe they used a different car park team for this as it was a smaller event, but it was certainly the worst organisation ive seen for a while.

its a stark contrast to other events this year where the car parking organization has been spot on and smooth. Like others, i can't understand why they didn't open up the area around land warfare for parking because it is a much easier to get out of in my experience, and with a much reduced crowd it seemed like a no brainer. ultimately, IWM they knew it was a sell out, they know how people at airshows act and i think it is fair to say they dropped the ball on this one.

BluffPilot

Post by BluffPilot »

rockfordstone wrote:
Tue 12 Oct 2021, 12:40 pm
BluffPilot wrote:
Tue 12 Oct 2021, 11:02 am
no, but IWM have the option of parking cars so they can come out of multiple exits, for whatever reason they decided to stick everyone over on the north side where there is only one exit and it is notoriously difficult to get out of.

we of course don't know how much the car park attendant's were getting paid, but people were getting heated because nothing was moving. regardless of pay, the core business of a parking management team is unsurprisingly to manage a car park.
I'm not sure what good putting people in multiple car parks would have done when you're all exiting onto the same road anyway. You're just moving the traffic jam to the road instead of the car park.

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

I think what people are getting at is that by using the LW car park, people exiting there would travel in the opposite direction (i.e. turn left towards Royston) to the North car park where we turned left to the M11. Therefore both lines of traffic would not interfere with each other, thereby effectively halving the problem.

BluffPilot

Post by BluffPilot »

Aquarious wrote:
Tue 12 Oct 2021, 3:08 pm
I think what people are getting at is that by using the LW car park, people exiting there would travel in the opposite direction (i.e. turn left towards Royston) to the North car park where we turned left to the M11. Therefore both lines of traffic would not interfere with each other, thereby effectively halving the problem.
Presuming everyone wants to go left coming out of that car park.

I've rarely seen a well managed car park at any event, aviation enthusiasts just seem quite impatient with it all.

Mike

Post by Mike »

BluffPilot wrote:
Tue 12 Oct 2021, 7:25 pm
Presuming everyone wants to go left coming out of that car park.

I've rarely seen a well managed car park at any event, aviation enthusiasts just seem quite impatient with it all.
You’re completely missing the point. In the past, traffic approaching from the Royston end is directed to turn right into the airfield at the Land Warfare end. When leaving they turn left, back the way they came. Traffic approaching from the M11 is directed to turn right onto the north side. On leaving they also turn left, back towards the M11. It has generally worked well. For some reason IWM decided to abandon this tried-and-tested method this time.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Traffic coming from the Royston direction has been prevented from turning right into the Land Warfare Hall end of the airfield for some time (at least two or three years). I used to do that every time but now that option is "coned off" and anyone coming from that direction has to continue either to turn left into North side parking or up to the M11 roundabout and then come back whilst staying in the left-hand lane and ignoring signs for North side parking and then turning left into the airfield. Not only is that my preferred end to view the show but traffic leaving that car park is then directed to turn left i.e the way I want to go anyway.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Alpha Delta 210

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

One of the IWM staff told me that 6500 tickets were issued for the Flying Day, which was only 1000 less than the Sunday BoB show in September. She said that they were surprised at the car park decision when they were told on Friday.

There must have been a reason for it, instead of using the usual Members' parking in front of AirSpace on sell-out Flying Days or the western end as used at air shows.