Duxford September Show 2011

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
duxfordhawk

Re: Duxford September Show 2011

Post by duxfordhawk »

I remember the Jaguar was based there for the autumn show in 2003, I also seem to remember the Tornado Gr4 on the ground one year , But even going back to the 1990s I can't remember the Red Arrows landing on. I assumed that was because of space required on flightline for them.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

New list up on the IWM website

The Red Arrows RAF Scampton (Sunday only)
USAF F-15E Strike Eagle 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB
Alpha Jet French Air Force (Saturday only)
Army Apache Wattisham Airfield
RAF Sea King Wattisham Airfield
RAF King Air 45R Squadron, RAF Cranwell
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight
Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane RAF Coningsby
Royal Navy Historic Flight Swordfish Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton
C-27J 46 Air Brigade, Italian Air Force (static)
AN-28 Polish Air Force (static)
SWIP Twister Duo
Aerostars Yak x 6 Aerostars (Saturday only)
B-17 Flying Fortress Sally B B-17 Preservation
Curtiss P40-F The Fighter Collection
Curtiss P40-B The Fighter Collection
Curtiss 75 Hawk The Fighter Collection
T-28 Trojan Radial Revelations
T-28 Trojan Fennec Group
Hawker Hurricane Historic Aircraft Collection
Bouchon 109 Aircraft Restoration Company/Historic Flying
Limited
Spitfire IXT Air Leasing
Spitfire IXT Boultbee Aviation
Spitfire IXT M Bayliss
Spitfire IXT Aircraft Restoration Company/ Historic Flying
Limited
Spitfire V Historic Aircraft Collection
Spitfire V The Fighter Collection
Spitfire XIV The Fighter Collection
Spitfire XVI Spitfire Limited
Spitfire IA Spitfire the One via The Fighter Collection (static)

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Oh good the Aerostars are down for saturday not seen them for a while :rock: looks like MH434 will not be taking part then.

Cheers
James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

wv383

Post by wv383 »

JBartlett wrote:Oh good the Aerostars are down for saturday not seen them for a while :rock: looks like MH434 will not be taking part then.

Cheers
James

The Duxford show clashes with the Victory Show at Crosby. OFMC always support that, in fact I think they actually organise the flying, hence no 'Frankie' or MH434 at Duxford.
Simon

Duxfordian

Post by Duxfordian »

Great list

Should be a brilliant show :hypno:

ROB MkIX

Post by ROB MkIX »

I am really looking forward to what should be a great show. Does anyone think there is a chance that Spitfire Mk1 P9374/G-MKIA will be on display as this looks like an amazing restoration and it would be wonderful to see her.

Many Thanks

Rob

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

All depends on the owner if he wants it on display or not.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

The Dudster

Post by The Dudster »

duxfordhawk wrote:I remember the Jaguar was based there for the autumn show in 2003, I also seem to remember the Tornado Gr4 on the ground one year , But even going back to the 1990s I can't remember the Red Arrows landing on. I assumed that was because of space required on flightline for them.

Ok thanks for all the comments. I have studied the photo i have which is really to distorted to post and spoken to the family members who took me and we have come to the conclusion that its probably Red jets but not the Red's

cheers Chris

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

wv383 wrote:
JBartlett wrote:Oh good the Aerostars are down for saturday not seen them for a while :rock: looks like MH434 will not be taking part then.

Cheers
James

The Duxford show clashes with the Victory Show at Crosby. OFMC always support that, in fact I think they actually organise the flying, hence no 'Frankie' or MH434 at Duxford.

That explains it then.

cheers
James

CH2

Post by CH2 »

st24 wrote:
The Dudster wrote:well as you all seem to be going on about what you would or would not like how about a blast from the past and have this lot.

Jaguar Zlin, Ultimate Pitts, Tiger Moth girl on the wing, Fokker Triplane, Concorde, Catalina , Wallis Autogyro, Marlborough Stampe, Fockle Wulf 190, Spitfire, Buffer, Kitty hawk, RN Historic Flight, Aces High T33, Gazelle, F 15 (fly past) Lancaster, Corsair, Unipart Duo,Toyota Pitts, F16 (fly past) Red Arrows

British Air Ferries Viscount, British Air Ferries Herald, Monarch 757, Britannia 767. Orion 737-300, KLM-ATL-42, RAF Falcons, Ultimate Pitts G-SPIN, Grumman Widgeon N444N

anyone know were they all displayed ?

Most 1980s airshows..

The Dudster wrote:Please can someone answer a question about DX shows. :question:

Over the weekend i dug out some pics from years gone by and had images of Tornadoes, Hawks and other fast jets on the hard stand including the Reds.
My question is why don't they land any more ???

Chris

Tonkas (F3s) have certainly operated from Duxford before. Possibly the only reheated jets to do so??.. :question:

With regards to use of the runway; last time I saw a Jet with reheat at DX was the October 2003 Airshow (as duxfordhawk rightly points out), when the 16(R) Jaguar did I believe its final display of the year. The last time I saw a Tonka was a 56(R) F3 at the September 2003 Airshow.
Cheers,

Chris

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Anychance of the belgian f 16 then :tongue:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Today's press release...

United States Air Force F-15E Strike Eagle Demonstration makes only UK appearance at The Duxford Air Show

Imperial War Museum Duxford is delighted to announce that the United States Air Force (USAF) F-15E Strike Eagle demonstration will display at The Duxford Air Show (Saturday 3 and Sunday 4 September) in its only UK appearance in 2011.

The F-15E Strike Eagle is a dual-role fighter aircraft with two crew members, a pilot and a weapons systems officer, performing air-to-air and air-to-ground missions. An array of avionics and electronics systems gives the F-15E the capability to fly at low altitude, day or night, and in all weather. It also gives the aircraft the ability to destroy enemy ground positions and fight its way out of combat situations.

The F-15E Strike Eagle is a thrilling aircraft to watch in flight and its presentation at The Duxford Air Show will provide an exciting highlight to an amazing programme of aerial activity.

The F-15E Strike Eagle Demonstration will be performed by Major Mike “Cash” Maeder, the Air Combat Command’s Strike Eagle Demonstration Team Pilot and Commander.

As the Demonstration pilot, Mike showcases America’s F-15E Strike Eagle to more than seven million people at approximately 65 shows around the world every year. He is currently assigned as an F-15 Eagle instructor pilot.

The F-15E Strike Eagle Demonstration Team operates from Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in North Carolina and is part of the United States Air Force 4th Fighter Wing. It has the distinction of being the only Air Force unit that can trace its history back to Great Britain.

The lineage of the 4th Fighter Wing can be traced back directly to RAF Duxford during the 1940s. Prior to the United States officially entering the Second World War, American volunteers were already serving in combat with the Royal Air Force Eagle Squadrons.

There were three Eagle Squadrons – Nos. 71, 121 and 133. No.133 Squadron, reformed as the 3rd RAF Eagle Squadron on 31 July 1941, was based at Duxford from August to October 1941. On both occasions, it operated from Fowlmere, Duxford’s satellite fighter station.

When the United States entered the Second World War, the Eagle Squadron units, and their American pilots, were transferred to the United States Army Air Forces 8th Air Force, forming the 4th Fighter Group on 12 September 1942. The 4th Fighter Group was redesignated as the 4th Tactical Fighter Wing in July 1958.

Today, the 4th Fighter Wing is one of two on-call rapid response aerospace expeditionary wings. The 4th Fighter Wing was the first to assume this mission on 1 October 1999.

The historic link between Duxford and the United States Air Force continues to the present day.

The only UK appearance by the F-15E Strike Eagle Demonstration forms a key highlight of a superb flying programme at The Duxford Air Show. Celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Spitfire, Duxford marks the technological development of this iconic aircraft with static and aerial displays by a range of Spitfires, from the original Mark I Spitfire through to the Mark XVI.

Aerobatic excitement is provided by the Aerostars on Saturday 3 September and the Red Arrows on Sunday 4 September.

Additional highlights include the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane, French Air Force Alpha Jet (Saturday only), RAF Sea King, Army Apache, RAF King Air, Royal Navy Historic Flight Swordfish, SWIP Twister Duo, B-17 Flying Fortress Sally B, T-28 Trojan (x2), Curtiss 75 Hawk, Hawker Hurricane, Bouchon 109, Curtiss P-40F, Curtiss P-40B and, on static display, the Italian Air Force C-27J and the Polish Air Force M-28.

With such a spectacular air display, The Duxford Air Show, celebrating the legendary Spitfire, is not to be missed!

"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

howard500 fan

Post by howard500 fan »

is the fury going to be on display ?? :tongue:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

It's on display every day at Duxford in Hangar 3. :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Boghopper Mk 11a

Post by Boghopper Mk 11a »

The RAF solo Phantom FGR.2 operated from duxford during it heyday.

howard500 fan

Post by howard500 fan »

oh ok thanks will be flying though ? :smile:

Boghopper Mk 11a

Post by Boghopper Mk 11a »

If the IWM book and pay for the item, then it may fly, but that is after the machine is granted its CAA permit to fly.

howard500 fan

Post by howard500 fan »

i heard it already flown in secret but it wuld be great to see a nimrod fury flypast :yahoo:

BigBlackCat

Post by BigBlackCat »

Military fast jets (such as F-16, Typhoon etc) don't operate from Duxford as the runway is too short for them. Duxford lost a big slice of its runway at the Eastern end of the field when the M11 was built (c1977, but I stand to be corrected).

Some jets like the Duxford based F-86A, the Hawk and the Hunter can operate from Duxford, but all of the front line fast jet stuff either operate from their home bases, Cambridge or somewhere like Mildenhall.

yannyfoxx

Post by yannyfoxx »

Is it just me or is the lineup still a bit disappointing. I've been expecting to see it improve since the initial release a couple of months ago but this has failed to materialise. Last year was one of the best Duxford events ever, so maybe I'm being unkind, but we were treated to such variety and spectacle last year. In a show dedicated to the magnificent Spitfire this year, and with only nine in the air, the show will surely not eclipse 2010 (and not a single P51!).

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

BigBlackCat wrote:Military fast jets (such as F-16, Typhoon etc) don't operate from Duxford as the runway is too short for them.

As mentioned, Tornadoes used to be fairly regular performers from Duxford's runway. The issue in recent years has been the resurfacing job done on the runway was done with some left-over driveway mix by some blokes selling pegs so any jet with a decent bit of poke tends to rip great lumps out of it. Hence nothing meaty on the runway since then.

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

yannyfoxx wrote:Is it just me or is the lineup still a bit disappointing. I've been expecting to see it improve since the initial release a couple of months ago but this has failed to materialise. Last year was one of the best Duxford events ever, so maybe I'm being unkind, but we were treated to such variety and spectacle last year. In a show dedicated to the magnificent Spitfire this year, and with only nine in the air, the show will surely not eclipse 2010 (and not a single P51!).

At least we getting the F15 Demo :yahoo: Im hoping the Sea Vixen gets added to the line up but guess thats wishful thinking but hopefully we get some more updates soon and so far I can only count 8 spitfires that are going when there posters said 10.

James

stevie90

Post by stevie90 »

8 spits is great so far, great to see all the curtiss hawks again although i hope the hawk75 displays a bit closer to the crowd this time :smile:
Last edited by stevie90 on Tue 23 Aug 2011, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Still got 2 weeks guys. You know the IWM leave things late! :tongue:

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

XH668

Post by XH668 »

Theres plenty they could pull in......north weald lot, sea vixen, a hunter or two.

And no one will be sure on the reds now...........
Ground crew of WZ507

Nikon D5000
Sigma 10-20mm
Nikon 18-55mm
Tamron 70-300mm
Sigma 150-500mm