Why doesn't Duxford support the armed forces?

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Jonesy

Why doesn't Duxford support the armed forces?

Post by Jonesy »

I'm basically going to have a rant at Duxford. I've just been studying the ticket prices for the forthcoming Autumn show and I see students and the unemployed get pretty much a 50% discount. However, the armed forces do not get a single penny off the ticket price. Now I know most on here are civvies so you really don't care but without the armed forces past and present how could the IWM Duxford actually have a museum?

Numerous companies support the armed forces by offering discount schemes so you'd think the IWM would support us too but no. I imagine that Duxford will ask the local ATC to provide manpower to staff the show and who provides the funding for the ATC? Non other than the MOD.

Its shocking to see a military museum not supporting the military. Shame on you Duxford!
Why so serious?

Pen Pusher

Re: Why doesn't Duxford support the armed forces?

Post by Pen Pusher »

Maybe Duxford should just close althogther and that would solve a lot of problems for a lot of people.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

It would certainly solve the problem for a handful of whingers on here, but disappoint several thousand of us who take great pleasure supporting the Museum, throughout the year.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

I have done 2 Duxford shows this year and chucked a few quid at them so I'll say my piece without any Freeloading guilt.
Personally, I can't be doing with the "whinging" that some aim at Duxford but I think Jonesy does have a point. :question: So why not support our boys and girls in the forces Duxford?

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Out of interest does the IWM at any of its locations subsidise the tickets of military personnel? If not the OP's rant deserves to be cast rather wider than Duxford alone.

Dragon Rapide

TLM

Post by TLM »

Well said Jonesy,

In 2009, myself and some colleagues went to a Duxford show and noticed the discounts available to students and the unemployed. When we politely asked at the ticket booth if we were also entitled to a reduction, the response was the rudest I have ever encountered at a show. We turned our backs and ended up in the opposite field where the experience and photographs were far better. They have never returned to the IWM and when I rarely do, its always outside.

Having discussed this with colleagues and friends, it seems there are a lot more people in the armed forces than I first thought who avoid going to Duxford and other venues where asked to pay full wack to see aircraft they work on perform. Good point about the cadets too. I prefer families days or going abroad.

TLM

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

TLM wrote: pay full wack to see aircraft they work on perform.

What Warbirds?.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

Pen Pusher and Dragon Rapide have a point. Maybe I should start a petition asking for the closure of the museum because I couldn't save a few pennies. Thanks for your support. Maybe you don't get it but why does a military museum support the unemployed and students whilst overlooking the armed forces? TLM can see where I'm coming from. Without an armed forces past and present, there wouldn't be a museum so why can't the museum see this and acknowledge the hard work we do.

I've had a look at the other IWM sights and appart from the two museums which have free admission to everybody the others do not have armed forces discount. I even e-mailed the IWM some months ago to ask why wasn't there a discount and they weren't even courteous enough to give me a reply.

The museum is a great place and long may it continue but a nod of appreciation would be nice.
Why so serious?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

I was going to ask if you had contacted the museum about this. A letter aimed at the director would be a more direct route to take.

I can also remember in the dim and distant past, long before I joined FOD, that Duxford did do discounts for Service Personnel as I got a discount with my Civilian RAF ID card for entry to the museum. Not for air shows though.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Jonesy - I don't know you but you are clearly a serving or ex-serving member of our armed forces. To extend your logic, do transport museums subsidise working or bus drivers or ex- bus drivers? Do museums of old tools and farm equipment subsidise the tickets of farmers and samallholders and craftsmen?

Probably not, but it is likely that all these museums offer cheaper or free tickets to those who are on no income or small fixed incomes.

Dragon Rapide

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

Good point and well presented. Maybe they should have a whinge on the bus and farmers forum.

Like I said, I'm having a rant and knew that most won't get it.
Why so serious?

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

We get it, but don't necessarily agree with it, that's all.

Dragon Rapide

mais01

Post by mais01 »

An interestign one this.
I guess my default stance has to be there should be a discount for Armed Forces personnel, if for no other reason than a mark of respect and acknowledgement for the service they provide ours and other countries.
The extended arguement regarding bus drivers, farmers etc is perhaps to be expected and whilst acknowledging the sterling contribution to the well being and good order of the country thye dont perhaps fit inot the same category as those serving on the frontline.

I remember very distinctly as a very young soldier beign on leave turnign up at RAF Finningly for an open day, on openign my wallet to pay at the gate the chap saw my ID card and waved me through.
There has been a fair bit of debate recently about the forces and veterans, as a country i do firmly beleive we coudl and should do far more and that should include direct families too.
Especially serving members, the families get little or no recognition at all, it is they whp perhaps face losing the most and at the same time carry on as normal.
Other countries can do it why cant we?

st24

Post by st24 »

Jonesy wrote:Maybe you don't get it but why does a military museum support the unemployed and students whilst overlooking the armed forces? TLM can see where I'm coming from. .

Maybe because members of the Armed Forces earn good wages, enjoy many subsidised services, and leave with a generous pension. If for any reason they are injured or disabled whilst serving a whole raft of charities are available to supprt them and their families. I reckon they can afford to pay full whack but the unemployed and students can't.... :confused:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

mais01 wrote: I remember very distinctly as a very young soldier beign on leave turnign up at RAF Finningly for an open day, on openign my wallet to pay at the gate the chap saw my ID card and waved me through.

Finningley was an operational military base, Duxford isn't.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

mais01 - in which case you would agree that nurses, policemen, teachers, doctors, firemen etc etc should also be shown the same respect!!

st24 has it about right. None of these people are forced to do what they do. It is their job and they are rewarded for it. Sadly there are many in society who, not by their own fault, do not have the resources to pay for their entertainment.

Dragon Rapide

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Ok, here's one. I'm ex-Forces, and I'm currently unemployed. I have a notice of termination from my last contract but is that enough? I have savings so I don't sign on, will I still get a discounted entry. No.. I tried last time, showing paper work and they said it wasn't enough. Even though it was dated correctly? So what do I need to show. I'm going this Sunday and will try again..
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

TLM

Post by TLM »

Pen Pusher wrote:
TLM wrote: pay full wack to see aircraft they work on perform.

What Warbirds?.

Brian

I knew you would have a comment to make about that, but I have clearly written "Duxford and other venues". Besides, last time I checked, there were aircraft from all three branches performing at Duxford this year and last.

Perhaps some staff training in manners could have prevented us having a bitter taste towards your shows. That was the main reason we walked away from buying our tickets, not the price.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

In don't know how the system works, Maisie, but you have my respect for not signing on. But perhaps by not doing so you have shot yourself in the foot. Perhaps you have to show your P something or other to prove your are drawing benefits. I don't know but guess that might be the reason.

Dragon Rapide

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

I haven't signed on for years now, I done 7 ½ years in the RAF, then when I came out I struggled to get work which was the last time I went on the dole. Now I'm in a well paid job, which allows me to save for when i'm off work like now. If I have to pay the £27 I will, Was just going to try my luck!
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Oh, then I misunderstood you. You do not deserve any discount at all!!!

Dragon Rapide

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

Jonesy wrote: However, the armed forces do not get a single penny off the ticket price. Now I know most on here are civvies so you really don't care but without the armed forces past and present how could the IWM Duxford actually have a museum?

I think it's very harsh to tar every "civvie" with the same brush. Charities like "Help for Heroes" shows that people do care.

It's another mountain out of a mole hill regarding Duxford, in my opinion.

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

SuffolkBlue wrote:
Jonesy wrote: However, the armed forces do not get a single penny off the ticket price. Now I know most on here are civvies so you really don't care but without the armed forces past and present how could the IWM Duxford actually have a museum?

I think it's very harsh to tar every "civvie" with the same brush. Charities like "Help for Heroes" shows that people do care.quote]

You're right, the generosity of the public has been huge which I do admire.

It's not only Duxford that I'm slating. RIAT is even worse. A huge amount of serving personnel are forced to work on the showground during the airshow week (mainly Cosford students) plus what seems hundreds of ATC. Yet RIAT won't give discounted tickets to the armed forces.
Why so serious?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

If you want to get in for FREE you can always visit on the 13th November

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

Well done Duxford. Unfortunately I am being sent to foreign climes that weekend.
Why so serious?