The Jubilee Airshow 2012

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
timuss

Re: The Jubilee Airshow 2012

Post by timuss »

To many highlights a cracking show thought the F-16 was superb :cool: First time i've seen the T7 what a beauty great display. I thought the French team were a bit lost they could have really done with some smoke IMO The F-16 totally outperformed the Typhoon. Great start to the season, now for Flying Legends!!!
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Vulcan1010

Post by Vulcan1010 »

Highlights for me were the Meteor, Typhoon, F-16, Tucano, Hawk and Lynx

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

My first time in FOD enclosure - everyone was very polite and considerate, a nice change from the tank bank I usually head to! However there seemed to be a few people showing a lack of basic aircraft knowledge - I was quite surprised as I expected people there to be enthusiasts I guess but clearly many were not!
In no way having a go btw :0) Just surprised me....
Not keen on 'Cartouche Bore', like watching several long repositions over Stansted with a couple of flypasts thrown in. F-16 majestic - why can't RAF use flares? Would add a bit of va va voom to tiffie. Liked the little jungmeister and the matadors a lot.
Wondered why FOD have to still pay 2 quid to tour the DAS collection? Great show in great weather, roll on Legends...

cw318is

Post by cw318is »

All in all a pretty good show. I was a bit worried the heat would give a fair bit of distortion but to be honest it seemed alright. The Matadors display was absolutely stunning, and the Tucano looked fantastic against the blue sky.

I thought the Tutor display was dull and slightly pointless so I took a couple of shots of something more interest and went for a cigerette. Judging by the amount of giant running hare photos I've seen I wasn't alone! Far too distant and why did everything involve a flick roll? The BBMF, aside from the open bomb bay pass why does every pass only show off the underside? I can see the advantages of the naughty field for their routine.

Bit of a strange crowd today, obviously the normal showgoers and local(ish) families but a lot more from further afield. I can honestly say that even with such a massive crowd it was a great day, minimal queing anywhere and nobody being a tool. Even getting out the car park was easy, although by the time Anna Walker arrived with her banner it was getting a bit empty on the tank bank.
DamienB wrote:Airshows aren't just about sunlit topsides chaps.

st24

Post by st24 »

What a thoroughly enjoyable to start a very promising 2012 season - I haven't been so upbeat about an airshow year for absolutely ages! :yahoo:

Dan Griffiths and the T7 - pure poetry in motion, simply wonderful stuff. :worship: ]
Matadors were superb but these modern things still can't helicopter like the Sukhois.. :joystick:
All the rest was great - and yes I include the Epsilons, Chipmunks, Tutor and all.. t'was a great day. :biggrin:
And the sight and sound of Spitfires in numbers growling around a gin clear blue sky... need I say more?
:clap: Great stuff IWM...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Cracking day out with H. Got a ticking off on the Tank Bank from 2 ladies for standing up, Hilarious. Otherwise very well humoured. Top show. Highlights for me: Belgian F16 (Stunning), Typhoon (Good but why is it not pressing all the buttons? See thread in Av Waffle), Matadors, Bucker Jungmeister, Henlow Chipmunk was lit up like a Christmas Tree against the Blue sky. Star of the day though, has to be the Meteor, just stunningly gorgeous. :rock:
Bad Point? The increasingly distant and photographically disappointing BBMF. The only people enjoying their display (purely from a photographic point of view I add) were in the Naughty field or on the Mound that will surely soon give way from the increasing number of non paying background clutter that occupies said position. (climbs off soapbox :smile: ) I love watching the Lanc and the fighters and I will never tire of that sound but why do they have to display in the next county and what is to stop a gradual topside pass of the Lanc. A minor moan though after a cracking day.

the concerned

Post by the concerned »

Why can't duxford make the spring show a 2 day event and just charge adults to get in and let under 16's go free like they do at other shows,i'm sure they would make just as much money. I used to go in alot but now i find myself going to the field on the other side and that is getting more populated by the show . What i would like to see is stuff like a wwii role demo with say fighters /recon bombers plus ground displays together they got to create a unique selling point .

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

What a great day out. I thought pretty much all the displays were excellent, including Cartouche Dore - tight flying and some nice manouevres I haven't seen before (pac man!)... although I do think they should use smoke to enhance the movement in their display. I never tire of seeing Spitfires and Mustangs in the air. The "slide" manouevre by the Matadors was eye popping. The F16 was impressive as ever. Really liked the Tucano display. Cracking displays from everything else too.

I would agree that the displays often seem a bit distant, and we seem to see undersides more often than topsides. You can understand the attraction of the naughty field for the keen photographers - they are much closer to both the displays and the take-offs/landings, they seem to get more topsides instead of undersides, and the sun is more behind them. Can't say I'm tempted to go over there myself though - I'm not that keen on photography - I'm there to goggle at the displays first, and photograph them second. I also prefer the atmosphere and facilities of the airfield, and frankly I doubt I could ever be a*rsed with trekking over there anyway.

I was in the FoD enclosure. As others have mentioned, it is generally very friendly and civilised in there, a handful of unrestrained children notwithstanding :-D I really think they should invest in some bigger seats though, or unlink them and space them out a bit. Because there are so many people who are of the... err... "large" persuasion. They would be more comfortable, they wouldn't put the "squeeze" on thinner people next to them (many of whom are of advanced years), and the photographers wouldn't risk clobbering their neighbours with monster lenses. At least they allow plenty of leg room.

Those are minor quibbles though. All in all, a really enjoyable day and amazing weather.

Vodka

Post by Vodka »

In a Jeremy Clarkson voice over style. . . Naughty field!!! The most I've seen there. . . .EVER!!

Best display? Meteor, closely followed by the F16. Great start to the display season.

Pro's and cons. £25 a fair price for the show. £4 per pint, a fair price for a cold beer on a hot day.

Food catering in this country is still 99% crap. How do they pass health and safety standards? Are the standards that low that a 'Gourmet Burger' has been granted the privilege to change the meaning of 'gourmet' in the oxford dictionary. Who can not be tempted by a burger (burger how much actual meat% rather than cow substrate) that's been over cooked, burnt to buggery and then wrapped in foil to sit and fester, sweating away ready for some unsuspecting hungry fool to purchase in the hope of something filling and edible!

How good would it be if Duxford asked if the USAFE would like to bring some American hospitality to the show. 78th FG burger anyone?

Roll on RIAT P&V Friday!

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

Hatstand wrote:What a great day out. I thought pretty much all the displays were excellent, including Cartouche Dore - tight flying and some nice manouevres I haven't seen before (pac man!)... although I do think they should use smoke to enhance the movement in their display. I never tire of seeing Spitfires and Mustangs in the air. The "slide" manouevre by the Matadors was eye popping. The F16 was impressive as ever. Really liked the Tucano display. Cracking displays from everything else too.

I agree that the Cartouche Dore could do with smoke systems as they did blend into the backgroud a bit during their display, have to say as close formations go they flew fantastically.
The star of the show I went for the Meteor T7 was just stunning in Dan Griffith's hands, and totally gleamed in the sun, The F-16 with flares was great to see again. The new look Matador team were as great as ever. The Hawker flypast was a sight to behold and the static line up was really nice. The Bestmann must be having a ID crisis by now as nearly everyone thought it was a Me108.
I waited around a bit to catch the statics departing which was well worth it too. A great show all round I think, well done to all involved.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Just to add my bit...

Outstanding day yesterday! :clap: Marvellous how much a hot, sunny day adds to an airshow. The only gripe I had with the show was perhaps having another classic jet in the proceedings (Vampire, Hunter)

Typhoon wasn't good IMO. Spent too much time repositioning and was just generally too high. Did like the aileron roll to two sprial rolls though- think they copied that from our Italian friends.

F-16, Hawker Trio, Meteor and Spitfires were simply class!

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Hatstand wrote:What a great day out. I thought pretty much all the displays were excellent, including Cartouche Dore - tight flying and some nice manouevres I haven't seen before (pac man!)... although I do think they should use smoke to enhance the movement in their display.
r.

You know what this is what I was thinking when they were flying that they would look better with smoke.

Was a great day yesterday though think me arms & legs would not agree with me forgot the sun cream :sweat: Though the highlight for me was the F16 :drool: glad that even after Michel ‘Mitch’ Buelen they still put on a fantastic displays was nice seeing the typhoon again but its just not as good the Tucano T1 was also a great display I got a nice F16 T-shirt from the Demo stand.

Bring on Legends and the same weather.
James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

baseleg

Post by baseleg »

UKTopgun wrote:My first time in FOD enclosure - everyone was very polite and considerate, a nice change from the tank bank I usually head to! However there seemed to be a few people showing a lack of basic aircraft knowledge - I was quite surprised as I expected people there to be enthusiasts I guess but clearly many were not!
In no way having a go btw :0) Just surprised me....
Not keen on 'Cartouche Bore', like watching several long repositions over Stansted with a couple of flypasts thrown in. F-16 majestic - why can't RAF use flares? Would add a bit of va va voom to tiffie. Liked the little jungmeister and the matadors a lot.
Wondered why FOD have to still pay 2 quid to tour the DAS collection? Great show in great weather, roll on Legends...

I've been a FOD for a while, but I also tried the FOD enclosure for the first time. I agree that people we polite and considerate, even though the place was packed.

I'd also like to add a big thank you to the FOD volunteers, especially the ladies and gentlemen who kept a constant stream of hot and (more importantly) cold drinks going the whole time.They seem to go unnoticed, but I appreciated them.

The fantastic weather helped, but what a great start to the 2012 season.

Regards,
Ashley

snakeman

Post by snakeman »

Great show....one question was TFC 'Snafu' P-47 on view....if so I missed her !
Phantoms Phorever !!!!
www.thephantomshrine.co.uk

yannyfoxx

Post by yannyfoxx »

She was inTFC hangar.

snakeman

Post by snakeman »

Thanks Yannyfox

what where the Hellcat, Corsair etc are stored....
Phantoms Phorever !!!!

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

snakeman wrote:Thanks Yannyfox

what where the Hellcat, Corsair etc are stored....

The Corsair is now flying not sure about the hellcat think thats next to get flying, though whats happened to TFC razorback P47?? :confused:

Cheers
James

Boghopper Mk 11a

Post by Boghopper Mk 11a »

Nothing has happend to the 47 as it is still working through the test flying, we flew it twice on Monday, see post No. 982 on this page http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthre ... 38&page=33.

During Monday afternoon I even had the pleasure to an invitation to fly up to 7000ft in a photo-ship with an open door and a certain 47 flying on our side ( camera in hand )

For official news check here. http://www.fighter-collection.com/diary.php

Mart

snakeman

Post by snakeman »

ummm I have checked my photos and I can't see the P-47 any where....and I am sure I went in all open hangers !
Phantoms Phorever !!!!

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Can confirm she was there... On the far side of Hangar 2 tucked behind the Corsair!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

snakeman wrote:ummm I have checked my photos and I can't see the P-47 any where....and I am sure I went in all open hangers !

The three Curtiss built aircraft, 2x P-40 + P-47, were grouped together.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

snakeman

Post by snakeman »

ok thanks for the replies....I think I need new specs...plus my camera was playing up...kept getting Err99...thanks again
Phantoms Phorever !!!!

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Boghopper Mk 11a wrote:Nothing has happend to the 47 as it is still working through the test flying, we flew it twice on Monday, see post No. 982 on this page http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthre ... 38&page=33.

During Monday afternoon I even had the pleasure to an invitation to fly up to 7000ft in a photo-ship with an open door and a certain 47 flying on our side ( camera in hand )

For official news check here. http://www.fighter-collection.com/diary.php

Mart

Oh thats it for some reason I thought you had two P47s :grin: Liking the new TFC website much better then the old one :clap: Also thinking of joining friends of TFC just wondering is it any good?

Cheers
James