2015 Airshow Dates Announced

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Pen Pusher

Re: 2015 Airshow Dates Announced

Post by Pen Pusher »

Why do you need to be right at the front when the aeroplanes are displaying in the sky above you. Stand back and there is plenty of prime viewing space.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

rdchawk wrote:
Private Custard wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:Where have Duxford shot themselves in the foot. They have a formula that can fill an air show to crowd capacity. If it's not broken don't fix it.

I'd call reducing the size of one of the best viewing spots, shooting themselves in the foot. The fact that not only do you not see it as a problem, but also find the problem it could cause amusing, reflects badly on yourself to be honest.

It's just another small thing in a pile of many small things, that makes a large pile to dislike.

Well there's plenty of prime viewing space......oh wait no there isn't as it usually has chairs, windbreaks and brolleys attached to the fence so no-one can get near the front or a good viewing spot.

You'll have to get there earlier then and try harder for that precious front spot! :biggrin:
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

iGol66

Post by iGol66 »

I love how some people 'expect' to get a place right at the front near the fence.
This goes for every air show, if you want to be right at the front, then get there early.

Personally, for me, the amount of windbreaks and other stuff at Duxford has been the same as other shows this year. But Duxford is a lot more packed, which is maybe why there's so many complains about windbreaks and gazebo's and chairs.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

iGol66 wrote:I love how some people 'expect' to get a place right at the front near the fence.
This goes for every air show, if you want to be right at the front, then get there early.

Personally, for me, the amount of windbreaks and other stuff at Duxford has been the same as other shows this year. But Duxford is a lot more packed, which is maybe why there's so many complains about windbreaks and gazebo's and chairs.

Don't expect to get to the front but its not great when you just metres and metres of "open" space you cant get too because of all the windbreaks etc and no-one being there! At least shows like RIAT and I think Waddo have the decency to set up an exclusion zone for them.

Legends is getting boring as its pretty much the same line up with the odd couple of exceptions and will always be the case until they start allowing jets to be in the line up
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

rdchawk wrote:
iGol66 wrote:I love how some people 'expect' to get a place right at the front near the fence.

Don't expect to get to the front but its not great when you just metres and metres of "open" space you cant get too because of all the windbreaks etc and no-one being there! At least shows like RIAT and I think Waddo have the decency to set up an exclusion zone for them.

Legends is getting boring as its pretty much the same line up with the odd couple of exceptions and will always be the case until they start allowing jets to be in the line up

Same line up with the odd couple of exceptions you say?.. So like every show in the UK...

:sleepy:

Next.

Private Custard

Post by Private Custard »

I've decided that next year, if I see a windbreak at the front at any venue, and there's space inside it, I'm going in!! What are they going to do? They don't own that empty space!

As for the possible shrinking of the grassy area at the M11 end, I find it ridiculous. People at that end don't all expect to get to the front. But, at a venue where the flightline appears to be shrinking into the distance, it's a great place to get those lovely topsides, as the aircraft bank in from the back, around airspace.

Also, I can completely understand why people want to get to the front. Aircraft aren't always in the air, and the taxi shots can be quite lovely. I feel that shrinking the spectator area at that end is an utterly barmy decision, and one that makes me question the organisers sanity!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

rdchawk wrote:Legends is getting boring as its pretty much the same line up with the odd couple of exceptions and will always be the case until they start allowing jets to be in the line up

So an air show isn't worth going to unless it has a jet in it.

That really is scraping the bottom of the barrel of excuses now.

Of course the year after year repetitive line up at RIAT of F-16s/Typhoon's/Torando's/Hercules ad nauseum isn't boring.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Pen Pusher wrote:
rdchawk wrote:Legends is getting boring as its pretty much the same line up with the odd couple of exceptions and will always be the case until they start allowing jets to be in the line up

So an air show isn't worth going to unless it has a jet in it.

That really is scraping the bottom of the barrel of excuses now.

Of course the year after year repetitive line up at RIAT of F-16s/Typhoon's/Torando's/Hercules ad nauseum isn't boring.

Brian

Err, no thats not what I said at all, blimey anything to twist so Duxford does no wrong, My point is the line up is the same and as time moves on the show has got to change to survive,

And the line up of F16's and other fighters, international display teams and UK debuts is great to see when it is as cheap as Duxford!!
Whisky Connoisseur

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

rdchawk wrote:as time moves on the show has got to change to survive

I don't think it does. New types each year are a pleasure and a bonus but, certainly in the UK, Legends sits within its own niche and thousands return year-on-year because there's no other show of its calibre.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Pablo wrote:

I don't think it does. New types each year are a pleasure and a bonus but, certainly in the UK, Legends sits within its own niche and thousands return year-on-year because there's no other show of its calibre.

Planes of Fame and Chino in the US??
Whisky Connoisseur

Mattster256

Post by Mattster256 »

Planes of Fame is no Flying Legends. Both family and friends who have been to Chino ALL say that Legends is better, hands down. You just don't get the quality of flying in large numbers that you do here. At Chino you will very rarely see warbird aerobatics other than The Horsemen and possibly one or two other solo acts. At Legends, you get almost every aircraft flying high speed, full aerobatic routines that are punchy and exciting. And while yes, Flying Legends only lasts a few hours, it's a few hours of intense excitement and incredible flying from some of the best pilots the world has to offer. You will not get that at Planes of Fame. Mind you, if you just want your topsides, maybe it's best to head out to the states as that's all you're gonna...mind you, you'd only complain that they don't fly enough aeros (y)
Live life to the full and never look back.

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

rdchawk wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Planes of Fame and Chino in the US??

st24

Post by st24 »

Private Custard wrote:I've decided that next year, if I see a windbreak at the front at any venue, and there's space inside it, I'm going in!! What are they going to do? They don't own that empty space!

As for the possible shrinking of the grassy area at the M11 end, I find it ridiculous. People at that end don't all expect to get to the front. But, at a venue where the flightline appears to be shrinking into the distance, it's a great place to get those lovely topsides, as the aircraft bank in from the back, around airspace.

Also, I can completely understand why people want to get to the front. Aircraft aren't always in the air, and the taxi shots can be quite lovely. I feel that shrinking the spectator area at that end is an utterly barmy decision, and one that makes me question the organisers sanity!

Sorry, have I missed something- what's happening down the M11 end??.. :question:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Private Custard

Post by Private Custard »

st24 wrote:
Sorry, have I missed something- what's happening down the M11 end??.. :question:

A little news from Duxfords #1 fan :roll:

Pen Pusher wrote:I'm looking forward to the bun fight when the people who frequent that little grassed area down the M11 end find out that the fence line has been moved back and is about half the size it used to be. :biggrin:

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

I'm sure he'll be honoured being called Duxford's #1 fan.

Many congratulations Brian. :biggrin: :clap: :wink:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

I thank you jimbob :biggrin:

Moving the fenceline line back from the Alpha hold has been on the cards for some time. Nothing to do with health & safety of course :whistle:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

DanO1978

Post by DanO1978 »

Good to see Brian has moved on from photographing "No Access To These Fields" signs, to shooting pictures of metal fences.

He uses a Sony too, apparently. Never likes to talk about it.

:biggrin:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Well actually Sony are........... :biggrin:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

DanO1978

Post by DanO1978 »

Pen Pusher wrote:Well actually Sony are........... :biggrin:

Brian

:wink:

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Brian is just giving everyone the heads up so when you arrive for Legends at the crack of dawn you know how far the fence has been moved back. Then you can park your chairs, gazebos and wind breaks at the front and then have a wander around the museum for a good few hours before flying starts!

Sounds good doesn't it?

:wink:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Don't forget the Press compound has to go in the new area as well. You can see the outline of the old one in the far corner.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

DanO1978

Post by DanO1978 »

Pen Pusher wrote:Don't forget the Press compound has to go in the new area as well. You can see the outline of the old one in the far corner.

Brian

Don't start me off on that one! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

benji1867

Post by benji1867 »

i love watching the Duxford threads on here, conflict after conflict, think ill avoid all that and head south.

much love

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Looking at Brian's photo, seems some Fencers have recently visited DX. Never thought I would ever be saying that... :lol:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Would love to see the French Rafale at Duxford one day :love: