Duxford sucked - Sunday Airshow

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
funkygib

Duxford sucked - Sunday Airshow

Post by funkygib »

On Sunday I got the wife and kids out of bed at 0550 and straight into the car for the 2 1/2 hour drive to Duxford.
We were on station trouble free and within 1mile of the show at 0810, not too shabby given the road works we endured on the A14 and 20mins ahead of my perceived arrival target. :heyhey:
From the 1mile exit sign post on the M11 we then sat on the hard shoulder in the queue to exit at J10.
Forgive me if I am wrong but did gates not plan to be open at 8am due to unprecedented interest for the Sunday show?
Why then did we not arrive in the car park until 1040?? :dunno:
A huge part of this will be down to the morons who refuse to queue like the rest of us on the hard shoulder (whom probably all got up early to do so) and subsequently barged their way into the traffic ensuring we went even further down the queue :mad:
It beggars belief as to why it took so damned long to get in and it doesn't set the family up for a great day out sitting on the hard shoulder, enduring road rage and related aggravation due to poor planning on the organisation's part.
The Traffic officers and the like eventually made good on blocking the exit lane preventing Johnny come lately from taking the mickey but as soon as the mobile police moved on in regular rotation, more idiots barged their way in putting us further back in the queue.
The site was crammed full upon finally reaching the show and having trekked from the furthest point in the car park most folding seats had already been situated the entire length of the crowd line preventing any decent view of the airfield or ground taxiing aircraft.
We were three rows back and with no room to swing a cat.
I took to climbing on our cool box for some elevation for photos but it was the kids who suffered by not being able to experience the show in a normal manner as one would expect.
I should add that I felt extremely embarrassed that I was myself blocking the view of those behind by climbing on my lunchbox for a view, but if you can't beat them.....
As with previous visits to Dux especially, people are still setting up windbreaks and the like which really needs to be stopped or organised in a dedicated area in my humble opinion.
I could not reasonably expect the family to endure the exit traffic having gone through the entry process so we departed after the Lancs having seen only the Warbirds, JPs and Lanc display.
We didn't feel the need to walk the flightline at additional expense nor did we really have time having been so delayed and we all agreed this was our last trip to Duxford. :down: :down: :down:
Poor show !
I can see why the naughty field attracts a growing number of people :ninja:
Nikon D5100, 18-55mm VR, 55-300mm VR
These are my photos, there are many like them but these are mine.

frank

Re: Duxford sucked - Sunday Airshow

Post by frank »

Sorry to hear about that experience
I didnt have a ticket and common sense prevailed when i decided to go to Goodwood for my dose of Vera
So glad I didnt go with my original plan of queuing up for a ticket
Havent been to Duxford all year and dont miss it one little bit

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

While I sympathise, I don't think there's any need to boycott future shows.

I've been to most Duxford shows for the last few years, and this was a very unusual day.
I wouldn't expect a repeat anytime soon, if ever.

funkygib wrote:I can see why the naughty field attracts a growing number of people

It's far from "a growing number of people" - there are remarkably few people in the naughty field these days... seems to be only the most brazen die hards, breaking through the fences.
Last edited by Hatstand on Tue 16 Sep 2014, 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

J.Smith photography

Post by J.Smith photography »

Just use the fields in future, you get a much better view, its free, you don't have to wake up early, the aircraft actually seem to display for you, its better for photography, its closer to the action
Duxford take the piss having to pay to walk around the statics after paying to enter the event, I don't see anywhere like RIAT doing that (imagine the outrage if they did :whistle: )
Duxford have a thing or two to learn from other events, and until they do so I refuse to pay to go watch an airshow there

On the plus side at least you did manage to see the two Lancs

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

funkygib wrote:On Sunday I got the wife and kids out of bed at 0550 and straight into the car for the 2 1/2 hour drive to Duxford.
We were on station trouble free and within 1mile of the show at 0810, not too shabby given the road works we endured on the A14 and 20mins ahead of my perceived arrival target. :heyhey:
From the 1mile exit sign post on the M11 we then sat on the hard shoulder in the queue to exit at J10.
Forgive me if I am wrong but did gates not plan to be open at 8am due to unprecedented interest for the Sunday show?
Why then did we not arrive in the car park until 1040?? :dunno:
A huge part of this will be down to the morons who refuse to queue like the rest of us on the hard shoulder (whom probably all got up early to do so) and subsequently barged their way into the traffic ensuring we went even further down the queue :mad:
It beggars belief as to why it took so damned long to get in and it doesn't set the family up for a great day out sitting on the hard shoulder, enduring road rage and related aggravation due to poor planning on the organisation's part.
The Traffic officers and the like eventually made good on blocking the exit lane preventing Johnny come lately from taking the mickey but as soon as the mobile police moved on in regular rotation, more idiots barged their way in putting us further back in the queue.
The site was crammed full upon finally reaching the show and having trekked from the furthest point in the car park most folding seats had already been situated the entire length of the crowd line preventing any decent view of the airfield or ground taxiing aircraft.
We were three rows back and with no room to swing a cat.
I took to climbing on our cool box for some elevation for photos but it was the kids who suffered by not being able to experience the show in a normal manner as one would expect.
I should add that I felt extremely embarrassed that I was myself blocking the view of those behind by climbing on my lunchbox for a view, but if you can't beat them.....
As with previous visits to Dux especially, people are still setting up windbreaks and the like which really needs to be stopped or organised in a dedicated area in my humble opinion.
I could not reasonably expect the family to endure the exit traffic having gone through the entry process so we departed after the Lancs having seen only the Warbirds, JPs and Lanc display.
We didn't feel the need to walk the flightline at additional expense nor did we really have time having been so delayed and we all agreed this was our last trip to Duxford. :down: :down: :down:
Poor show !
I can see why the naughty field attracts a growing number of people :ninja:

The really sad thing here is that I could have written an almost identical account. However I would have been referring to a show I attended with my late father around twenty-five years ago!!!!!

Probably they only thing that has changed (apart from the ticket price) is the chaining of folding chairs to the fence.

It seems to me that the sensible capacity of the venue is well below the number admitted on both of these occasions which were nearly a generation apart. Most of the Duxford shows cope reasonable well without causing the sort of chaos many people experienced last Sunday. I don't know what the actually numbers are but I suspect it is something like 20,000 being manageable and 25,000 being unpleasant inside and causing gridlock on the roads.

Realistically some sort of limit will have to be imposed on the organisers which would mean making it advanced tickets only like many other big events.

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

J.Smith photography wrote:Just use the fields in future, you get a much better view, its free, you don't have to wake up early, the aircraft actually seem to display for you, its better for photography, its closer to the action
Duxford take the piss having to pay to walk around the statics after paying to enter the event, I don't see anywhere like RIAT doing that (imagine the outrage if they did :whistle: )
Duxford have a thing or two to learn from other events, and until they do so I refuse to pay to go watch an airshow there

On the plus side at least you did manage to see the two Lancs

Funniest thing I've read for a while. :clap:
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

helired3

Post by helired3 »

Hatstand wrote:While I sympathise, I don't think there's any need to boycott future shows.

I've been to most Duxford shows for the last few years, and this was a very unusual day.
I wouldn't expect a repeat anytime soon, if ever.

funkygib wrote:I can see why the naughty field attracts a growing number of people

It's far from "a growing number of people" - there are remarkably few people in the naughty field these days... seems to be only the most brazen die hards, breaking through the fences.

there was no breaking of fences !!
Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_harrisuk/

Nikon D750
Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm pf
Nikon 300mm pf

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

jayne_morris

Post by jayne_morris »

Traffic at the show was not helped by people ignoring the traffic signs and heading for junction 10 of the M11, the people that thought it was big to drive all the way to the slip road and then try and push in just brought the whole motorway to a halt

On the M11 junction 10 you had the 505 traffic coming in from the A11 at Abingdon, the trafic from the M11 north bound, and a massive queue on the M11 southbound that drove past signs saying all air show traffic exit at junction 11 and use park and ride or take the A10 and the A505 to duxford

I know the A505 coming in from Royston was snarled up as were every other road heading for duxford but had people followed the road signs rather than doing their own thing then it might have been a bit easier

As for leaving the show early that was your choice and not the fault of Duxford, the museum was kept open late so after the show we wandered around had some food and drove straight at around 7.20 pm

neilos

Post by neilos »

J.Smith photography wrote:Duxford take the piss having to pay to walk around the statics after paying to enter the event, I don't see anywhere like RIAT doing that (imagine the outrage if they did :whistle: )

Incase you hadn't realised, but then you wouldn't, as you refuse to pay to enter Duxford, instead you freeload from a field, then moan like a :pinkwafer: when it all goes tits up... :whistle:

Duxford is a museum, they have to make money in any which way they can to keep the place running.

jayne_morris

Post by jayne_morris »

It really annoys me when people say stuff the show I am watching from outside, as I have said many times before you can bet your life the free loaders would be among the first to moan when the show is dropped due to low visitor numbers

Yes we all know it happens but it is just arrogant to come on here saying stuff the show I am watching from outside and then come on here moaning about the content and quality of the show

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

davidjones533 wrote:
J.Smith photography wrote:Just use the fields in future, you get a much better view, its free, you don't have to wake up early, the aircraft actually seem to display for you, its better for photography, its closer to the action

I bet you'll be downloading a pirate copy of the DVD as well. :ninja:

Well that a funny one really, my Legends 2013 Blu Ray copy was really naff, stopping when played in the player and when played in the PC it would pixalate when it reached the parts where it stopped in the Blu Ray player. On phoning Planes TV about it apparently it's my naff PS3 that's the problem, but that doesn't offer a reason why it pixalate's in the PC's blu Ray player. Will never buy anything again from PlanesTV while they produce naff products or wont replace faulty blu rays they would rather blame your equipment.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

What is cheeky of DX is to have the show end at 5.30 then announce the museum is closed at 6 so pi#@ off basically. No suggestion of plenty still to see or staggering your departure from DX's tannoy... Hence they bring the car park mayhem on themselves. All credit to Dunsfold for staying open til 9 this year, that is a better way to approach it although I doubt they'll do that next year as not many took advantage from what I saw...

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

UKTopgun wrote:What is cheeky of DX is to have the show end at 5.30 then announce the museum is closed at 6 so pi#@ off basically. No suggestion of plenty still to see or staggering your departure from DX's tannoy... Hence they bring the car park mayhem on themselves. All credit to Dunsfold for staying open til 9 this year, that is a better way to approach it although I doubt they'll do that next year as not many took advantage from what I saw...

Flying doesn't start until 2pm? So you have plenty of museum time before hand... Even states on their website the museum shuts at 6pm (15th March-24th October) http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford/directions
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

neilos wrote:
J.Smith photography wrote:Duxford take the piss having to pay to walk around the statics after paying to enter the event, I don't see anywhere like RIAT doing that (imagine the outrage if they did :whistle: )

Incase you hadn't realised, but then you wouldn't, as you refuse to pay to enter Duxford, instead you freeload from a field, then moan like a :pinkwafer: when it all goes tits up... :whistle:

Duxford is a museum, they have to make money in any which way they can to keep the place running.

Hear, hear! :clap:
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

jayne_morris

Post by jayne_morris »

UKTopgun wrote:What is cheeky of DX is to have the show end at 5.30 then announce the museum is closed at 6 so pi#@ off basically. No suggestion of plenty still to see or staggering your departure from DX's tannoy... Hence they bring the car park mayhem on themselves. All credit to Dunsfold for staying open til 9 this year, that is a better way to approach it although I doubt they'll do that next year as not many took advantage from what I saw...

What time did the museum close on sunday then?

I know that we were still in the american air museum at 7.00 pm so still open well after 6.00pm closing time that you mention

funkygib

Post by funkygib »

jayne_morris wrote:Traffic at the show was not helped by people ignoring the traffic signs and heading for junction 10 of the M11, the people that thought it was big to drive all the way to the slip road and then try and push in just brought the whole motorway to a halt

On the M11 junction 10 you had the 505 traffic coming in from the A11 at Abingdon, the trafic from the M11 north bound, and a massive queue on the M11 southbound that drove past signs saying all air show traffic exit at junction 11 and use park and ride or take the A10 and the A505 to duxford

I know the A505 coming in from Royston was snarled up as were every other road heading for duxford but had people followed the road signs rather than doing their own thing then it might have been a bit easier

As for leaving the show early that was your choice and not the fault of Duxford, the museum was kept open late so after the show we wandered around had some food and drove straight at around 7.20 pm

It was my choice to leave early you are correct, however this decision was prompted by the lack of faith now instilled by the show organisers having not moved in our car for over an hour within a small radius of the site.
Park and riders were also delayed having read other reviews, so no benefit there.
If they had marshalled the junctions, policed or otherwise, then traffic would have filtered much more frequently that is all.
I don't think the minority of "freeloaders" will jeopardise future events based on the body count at Sundays show, besides all those iPhone cameras wouldn't reach from the naughty field :lmao:

Incidentally I had tickets for Cosford this year but bottled out on the day having suffered similar chaos up there too the previous year. Another waste of money.
I watched the show on planes TV tho :butt:

jayne_morris

Post by jayne_morris »

funkygib wrote:
jayne_morris wrote:It was my choice to leave early you are correct, however this decision was prompted by the lack of faith now instilled by the show organisers having not moved in our car for over an hour within a small radius of the site.
Park and riders were also delayed having read other reviews, so no benefit there.
If they had marshalled the junctions, policed or otherwise, then traffic would have filtered much more frequently that is all.
I don't think the minority of "freeloaders" will jeopardise future events based on the body count at Sundays show, besides all those iPhone cameras wouldn't reach from the naughty field :lmao:

Incidentally I had tickets for Cosford this year but bottled out on the day having suffered similar chaos up there too the previous year. Another waste of money.
I watched the show on planes TV though :butt:

yes they were delayed by idiots that chose to ignore the directions to exit the M11 at junction 11 and by doing this they brought junction 10 to a complete standstill

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Sorry to hear of your bad experiences. Just as an aside, I attended Payerne weekend 2 and Kleine Brogel, getting out in a combined time of around half an hour. It seems that in the UK at least the paying public are in the main left to fend for themselves especially upon exiting an event. I've not had a problem exiting DX but maybe in the future our traffic management "experts" at all shows could take a leaf out of our continental cousins?
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

Is your surname, by any chance, Mancus? :whistle:

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Ive not been to Duxford in a long while,and a lot of that is due to the excessive amount of money they charge for everything! They make money 7 days a week from Museum admissions and very expensive food. Yet over the years they have had Lottery money,imagine they are paid rent by such companies as ARCO ,The fighter Collection and countless others of based organisations.

Very expensive admission to Airshows , and the audacity to charge even more for The Flightline walk.No other Airshow i visit makes an extra charge to let you view static/Flying Display participants.

Hendon is free ,and is a stunning Museum, as are others around the country.

Maybe i should apply to Dragons Den to invest in Naughty Field enterprises. Burger Van, Toilets and a Grandstand behind the Hedgerow. :biggrin:
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

frank

Post by frank »

The Baron wrote:Sorry to hear of your bad experiences. Just as an aside, I attended Payerne weekend 2 and Kleine Brogel, getting out in a combined time of around half an hour. It seems that in the UK at least the paying public are in the main left to fend for themselves especially upon exiting an event. I've not had a problem exiting DX but maybe in the future our traffic management "experts" at all shows could take a leaf out of our continental cousins?

Just a post script on Payerne - we got stuck for over an hour on exiting week one. From where we were it was more shambolic than anything experienced in a long time. Don't draw any conclusions on a single experience

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

jayne_morris wrote:
yes they were delayed by idiots that chose to ignore the directions to exit the M11 at junction 11 and by doing this they brought junction 10 to a complete standstill

What, these would be the "idiots" who didn't fancy driving four times as far? I wonder what the A505 would have been like between Royston and Duxford if they had?

The real problem is the failure to accept that the venue and surrounding infrastructure has a finite capacity. As I said earlier it copes, just, with an average airshow attendance. From time to time there is an extra attraction that tips the balance into chaos as happened on Sunday.

jayne_morris

Post by jayne_morris »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
jayne_morris wrote:

What, these would be the "idiots" who didn't fancy driving four times as far? I wonder what the A505 would have been like between Royston and Duxford if they had?

The real problem is the failure to accept that the venue and surrounding infrastructure has a finite capacity. As I said earlier it copes, just, with an average airshow attendance. From time to time there is an extra attraction that tips the balance into chaos as happened on Sunday.

yes they are the ones

leave the M 11 at junction 11 take the A 10 towards royston make a left onto the B 1368 down to the A 505 and into duxford at the land warfare end friends of ours did that at 8.00am and hardly saw a car until they hit the A505 adds about two miles over using the M 11

the A505 was gridlock from near royston as well as the M11

funkygib

Post by funkygib »

Good for them, what if they had hit traffic tho' and would they have been so righteous then?
If you bail at 11 and it goes bad then what? It's a gamble, plain and simple, your pals got lucky.
As I said, until 1mile away it was going great then something went terribly wrong and really should have been avoided in this day and age.
Fail to plan, plan to fail.....
The main route is and always has been J10 from the north with no need previously to exit at 11.
There was no warning and no provision for the extreme queues which were badly managed.
I wonder after the two hours how far back the queue actually was?
It must have backed up past J11 eventually, hence the morons trying their luck at 10.
It won't matter to me anymore in any case, I've been thinking it was too expensive for some time so no great loss.
I also agree that the crowd line walk is a liberty at £6