Daks Over Normandy - June 2019

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
JJC

Re: Daks Over Normandy - June 2019

Post by JJC »

Anyone seen any footage of the jumps made over the drop zones today?

Plenty on YouTube showing the drops made by the modern stuff, but I’ve yet to see any footage of the Daks doing their thing.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

what a cracking couple of days. real shame the weather stopped the drops yesterday but seeing that amount of daks in one place made standing in the rain worth it.

not something i will forget in a hurry. took way too many pictures for my liking but its a once in a lifetime event.

thought it was well organised and hats off to everyone involved.

F-BSHM

Post by F-BSHM »

A big thank you to all involved in this fantastic day ! We woke up really early this morning to come to Duxford from Nice (France) but it was definitely worth it !
For me, it was well organised, a bit of trafic to go out but this is the game.
All volunteers from IWM museum we talked to were incredibly kind and you really felt that this event (and this museum) is held by passionated people !
The final departure was very nice and even whith more than 20 DC3/C47.

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

Another decent day today. Spitfire pairs display was probably the best Spitfire display I've ever seen and the USAF flypast was truly spectacular. I felt the display was quite poorly put together today though, with long (sometimes several hour) gaps between flying items. The lack of a Dakota demo or 3-ship was also disappointing.

A few general comments on the two days....
As predicted, the schedule was completely different on both days compared to what was advertised on IWM and DoN websites and obviously the number of Dakotas were severely less than the ‘Over 30, 35, 37 or 39’ advertised, which does again raise questions about false advertising from the organisers.
What happened to the ‘apron walk’?
I was there both days and never got an opportunity to go airside or get onboard one of the Daks.
Getting in on both days I used the A505 eastbound and was stuck in traffic for maybe 15 minutes max each day. I used both west and north car parks and traffic management at both was adequate (parked straight away, took 10 minutes to leave at around 1630 both days). I did notice they didn’t even check the parking passes though, so what’s stopping you from just putting a random piece of A4 paper in your window...

Also, did anyone talk to the Norwegian crew and find out what the issues were? If it really was a double engine failure then they are a very lucky bunch!

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

mark_aviation wrote:Another decent day today. Spitfire pairs display was probably the best Spitfire display I've ever seen and the USAF flypast was truly spectacular. I felt the display was quite poorly put together today though, with long (sometimes several hour) gaps between flying items. The lack of a Dakota demo or 3-ship was also disappointing.

As predicted, the schedule was completely different on both days compared to what was advertised on IWM and DoN websites and obviously the number of Dakotas were severely less than the ‘Over 30, 35, 37 or 39’ advertised, which does again raise questions about false advertising from the organisers.
I was there both days and never got an opportunity to go airside or get onboard one of the Daks.
Getting in on both days I used the A505 eastbound and was stuck in traffic for maybe 15 minutes max each day. I used both west and north car parks and traffic management at both was adequate (parked straight away, took 10 minutes to leave at around 1630 both days). I did notice they didn’t even check the parking passes though, so what’s stopping you from just putting a random piece of A4 paper in your window...

I guess there were large gaps in the display because it wasn't really an Airshow as we known it.

As for the apron walk, I did it yesterday and there were plenty of people queued up to go on Miss Montana and the Li-2. But it would have been nice if they had given a time for it or even put a sign up, so I guess most people only new about it when they saw other people around the aircraft.

ianf

Post by ianf »

Just back from a very long day.But worth every minute getting to and from the event. We got in early, was on the car park by 8.15, the main gates opening at 9.15 The apron walk did take place just after the 6 ship had landed mid morning and was on till about 1. it was only the 4 aircraft at the Li2 end. The actual launch was one of those moments you will never forget. The USAF formation was special, as mention the spitfire duo was superb in a close formation display in 75 year old aircraft :clap: First time I have photographed Nellie B in the air, and in digital format so a plus for me. Took a while getting a way from the field but I cannot really complain a fantastic sight and sound I will long remember.

Ian
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

pb643

Post by pb643 »

JJC wrote:Anyone seen any footage of the jumps made over the drop zones today?

Plenty on YouTube showing the drops made by the modern stuff, but I’ve yet to see any footage of the Daks doing their thing.

It was here:Live stream here: https://m.twitch.tv/dasvaldez. Unfortunately, the BBC seemed to completely miss it :roll:

I don't know if it is possible to watch it again?

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Thanks for the link. There is a rerun button, watching it now.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Can somebody please clarify?
Did the C130's and Ospreys only go to Duxford, no other public appearances?

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

pb643 wrote:Can somebody please clarify?

I thought they we going on to Caen but maybe I misunderstood/wasn't listening carefully?

Andy

Jez_H

Post by Jez_H »

mark_aviation wrote:Another decent day today. Spitfire pairs display was probably the best Spitfire display I've ever seen and the USAF flypast was truly spectacular. I felt the display was quite poorly put together today though, with long (sometimes several hour) gaps between flying items. The lack of a Dakota demo or 3-ship was also disappointing.

Also, did anyone talk to the Norwegian crew and find out what the issues were? If it really was a double engine failure then they are a very lucky bunch!

The Norwegian pilot was interviewed on BBC Look East last night. There was quite a bit from Duxford on their 6.30pm show. I think it's still available on iPlayer until 7pm today.

Andover

Post by Andover »

Appears to be live stream now of para drops. Can someone clarify: Did they jump yesterday AND today?

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Yep they defiantly jumped yesterday
Thomas

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

Jez_H wrote:The Norwegian pilot was interviewed on BBC Look East last night. There was quite a bit from Duxford on their 6.30pm show. I think it's still available on iPlayer until 7pm today.

Thank you. So they saw a drop in oil pressure on Number 1 and had to shut it down, then upon landing saw all the oil coming out of Number 2 and had to shut it down as well. What’s the chances of that? Great airmanship (and a bit of luck I suspect).

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Flabob Express has flown this evening from Duxford however i believe she has landed back at duxford
Thomas

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Blackbird wrote:

I thought they we going on to Caen but maybe I misunderstood/wasn't listening carefully?

Andy

Having now seen photographs, that was indeed a very impressive sight, particularly impressive if it was only done for Duxford.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Does anybody know a programme/timetable/routing for the US Dakotas to return to the USA? I have asked a few people at Duxford and trawled the 'net but haven't found anything.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

pb643 wrote:
Blackbird wrote:

Andy

Having now seen photographs, that was indeed a very impressive sight, particularly impressive if it was only done for Duxford.

They did fly over Carentan as well, albeit only 4 Hercs and 4 Ospreys.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

jalfrezi wrote:
pb643 wrote:
Blackbird wrote:

Andy

They did fly over Carentan as well, albeit only 4 Hercs and 4 Ospreys.

:up:

pb643

Post by pb643 »

iainpeden wrote:Does anybody know a programme/timetable/routing for the US Dakotas to return to the USA? I have asked a few people at Duxford and trawled the 'net but haven't found anything.

I am aware that some are going on to Berlin, to mark the anniversary of the Berlin Airlift. I don't know which or how many.

There were some commemorative packs of Jelly beans complete with parachute being given away at Old Warden, presumably produced in commemoration of the candy bombers.

There is a 'D Day squadron at the Berlin airlift' facebook page and a Berlin airlift 70 website, though this seems to trigger some issues with my PC and phone as a security risk. it appears to rune from the 10-18th June.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Thanks PB - watch this space then because they, or at least some, will almost certainly return by the UK.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

N103NA Flabob Express is en-route to France. Just passing Margate.

Landed at Le Touquet, due to weather in Caen. Should continue into Caen tomorrow.
Last edited by mark_aviation on Fri 07 Jun 2019, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andover

Post by Andover »

A couple of queries regarding the Daks gathering: I know the C-53 had a different engine - or version of engine, but at least one other sounded different to me. How many had differing engines, and what were the differences, please?

Also, how many of those actually took part in D-Day?

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Andover wrote:A couple of queries regarding the Daks gathering: I know the C-53 had a different engine - or version of engine, but at least one other sounded different to me. How many had differing engines, and what were the differences, please?

Also, how many of those actually took part in D-Day?

The LI-2 has different engines and I think(not entirely sure) D-Day Doll has different engines

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Tom105 wrote:Yep they defiantly jumped yesterday

A question,how do you jump defiantly,is that without a parachute? :smile: :smile: