Flying Legends 2018

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
8674planes

Re: Flying Legends 2018

Post by 8674planes »

Ive used the shuttle bus from Cambridge station a couple of times now. The early ones aren't too busy, they're double deckers so plenty of seats! After the show they get quite busy. The last one is at 7:30pm so no rush.
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

8674planes wrote:I've used the shuttle bus from Cambridge station a couple of times now. The early ones aren't too busy, they're double deckers so plenty of seats! After the show they get quite busy. The last one is at 7:30pm so no rush.

Thanks for the info, nice to have a couple of options
rgds

Wbirdnut

Post by Wbirdnut »

Coming from down under and hoping someone in the know may had an idea if the
Gladiator is repaired and my appear during the show? If not is it possible to view her,
special as she was once flown by a New Zealand ace Cobber Kain the first ace of WW II.

Thank you.....

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Wbirdnut wrote:Coming from down under and hoping someone in the know may had an idea if the
Gladiator is repaired and my appear during the show? If not is it possible to view her,
special as she was once flown by a New Zealand ace Cobber Kain the first ace of WW II.

Thank you.....

My guess would be the Gladiator is unlikely to be ready to fly for this show, as it arrived in a container from France some time ago due to some tech. issues.

However, I often see people during the show that ask The Fighter Collection staff in their hangar if they can have a closer look so I'm sure you'd be able to do that.

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

It was in the TFC hangar last week with the wings and cowl off, and it didnt look to be flying any time soon

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Berlin Express has dropped off the list. Doesn't seem to have much luck that aeroplane.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Ryan. wrote:Berlin Express has dropped off the list. Doesn't seem to have much luck that aeroplane.

It flew at Duxford though, so I assume it's developed some other issue that will keep it grounded for the next month.

timuss

Post by timuss »

Had an air test yesterday first flight since Legends last year.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Bomber Command

Post by Bomber Command »

God damn it!

My first duxford experience was last year, got tickets for the Sunday. Could not wait to see this P51, i followed its journey over. Then it had its accident so i missed it.

Now it seems again that it won't fly. Bad luck eh. Maybe one day i shall see it fly.

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

If it won't be a flyer, static on the flightline would be a very nice second best?

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Spitfire T9 PT462 added

Bomber Command

Post by Bomber Command »

No word on the IL-2 as of yet! That would be something different to see, so i hope he does indeed make it.

Wbirdnut

Post by Wbirdnut »

Would be unbelivable if the Sturmovik, I see a Bücker Jungmann (G-BSAJ) has been added along with a few others on the list something we don't see downunder, according to reports her display was great last show.

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Il2 wont be appearing at the show due to a technical problem encountered after the Berlin ILA show.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

8674planes wrote:Il2 wont be appearing at the show due to a technical problem encountered after the Berlin ILA show.

Any source on that? Their latest post on their Facebook, (through Google translate) roughly says their IL-2 flew somewhere to commemorate the Russian "Day of Memory and Grief" so it seems the IL-2 is serviceable.

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

It was posted as a reply to a comment on one of their facebook posts
Last edited by 8674planes on Wed 27 Jun 2018, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yannyfoxx

Post by yannyfoxx »

Curtiss-Wright P-36C gone tech now. Are we any the wiser on the mystery P51 yet?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

yannyfoxx wrote:Curtiss-Wright P-36C gone tech now. Are we any the wiser on the mystery P-51 yet?

I would think there's a good chance it'll be Miss Velma in her new clothes? Apparently arrived back at Sywell last week for reassembly and repainting.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

If the patched-up and repainted Miss Velma is this year's "big" draw, it'll be another Legends I'll be happy to skip. There are so many new and exciting warbirds on the European circuit, it would be rank laziness not to push for something a bit different.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Spot on Dan, Tis like a reply now year on year, lost my interest some year back.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:If the patched-up and repainted Miss Velma is this year's "big" draw, it'll be another Legends I'll be happy to skip. There are so many new and exciting warbirds on the European circuit, it would be rank laziness not to push for something a bit different.

Flying Legends always booked a number of European warbirds, most of which haven't displayed anywhere else in the UK. I doubt it's laziness that has played it's more and more the regulations fixed to oversea civilian aircraft. The Boomerang at Abingdon and the Avenger at Shuttleworth more recently show it's not only Flying Legends that has had this problem.

It's sad. But I can't see anything changing unless the regulations are relaxed a little.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:If the patched-up and repainted Miss Velma is this year's "big" draw, it'll be another Legends I'll be happy to skip. There are so many new and exciting warbirds on the European circuit, it would be rank laziness not to push for something a bit different.

Such as? Genuinley interested to know what you might like to see within the realms of possibility.

There are several newcomers (Buchons Yellow 7 and Red 11, Spitfire PL983) and fresh-lookers (P-47D 'Nellie', whatever 'Miss Velma' re-emerges as) on the bill this year already. In addition there are first time visits to the UK from P-51D 'Trusty Rusty' and the Bulls DC-6, both of which I've wanted to see for years.

Only 17 more sleeps until Christmas...

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Just a quick question on legends,
I’m passing through the area on the Friday. And I’m going to visit the museum, will there be any practice or display validations going on?
Cheers Steve

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Irishaernut wrote:Just a quick question on legends,
I’m passing through the area on the Friday. And I’m going to visit the museum, will there be any practice or display validations going on?
Cheers Steve

Yes, usually plenty of activity on the Friday before legends.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Ryan. wrote:Flying Legends always booked a number of European warbirds, most of which haven't displayed anywhere else in the UK. I doubt it's laziness that has played it's more and more the regulations fixed to oversea civilian aircraft. The Boomerang at Abingdon and the Avenger at Shuttleworth more recently show it's not only Flying Legends that has had this problem.

Was the Avenger not appearing at Shuttleworth down to the CAA? I thought it was due to it being unserviceable.

I have to agree with the previous posts that this year's Legends looks poor with 2 weeks to go.
Personally I think if the P-51B Berlin Express was able to display and the IL-2 from Russia, then the show would offer those real star items that can't be seen anywhere else and we wouldn't be having this discussion.