Re: Flying Legends 2018

Post by 8674planes »

Spitfire Vc EE602 G-IBSY added
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

From FL Facebook

During the Flying Legends Airshow IWM Duxford the FIFA World Cup football Play-Off on Saturday 14th July at 3pm & the Final, Sunday 15th at 4pm will be screened in The Conservation Hall in the IWM Airspace Hangar on a 14 metre screen.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

TF-51 Mustang "Contrary Mary" G-TFSI added (Former "Miss Velma")
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Miss Velma's new paint...

Dull.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

8674planes wrote:TF-51 Mustang "Contrary Mary" G-TFSI added (Former "Miss Velma")

They might want to remove miss velma from the website then unless they have cloned G-TFSI! Lovely to see velma back in the air. Does anyone know if the mystery P51 was this one or the one added earlier this week?

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Jumbo wrote:
8674planes wrote:TF-51 Mustang "Contrary Mary" G-TFSI added (Former "Miss Velma")

They might want to remove miss velma from the website then unless they have cloned G-TFSI! Lovely to see velma back in the air. Does anyone know if the mystery P-51 was this one or the one added earlier this week?

By all accounts, it is "The Hun Hunter" added earlier this week.

I like the new appearance although dare I say a little obvious? Would have been nice to get a Korean war or National Guard scheme, though that might just be me. :sad:
Last edited by Ryan. on Wed 11 Jul 2018, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Ryan. wrote:I like the new appearance although dare I say a little obvious? Would have been nice to get a Korean war or National Guard scheme, though that might just be me. :sad:

Not just you. There is a Mustang in Korean War markings in the USA, namely NL151JT
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/FlyingLegendsOfficial/posts/2097649583821106[/fb-post]

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/FlyingLegendsOfficial/posts/2097767083809356[/fb-post]

Brian

DfG on Facebook

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Ryan. wrote:I like the new appearance although dare I say a little obvious? Would have been nice to get a Korean war or National Guard scheme, though that might just be me. :sad:

I said exactly that on the Key forum last night and got lambasted for it, before it ended up in the usual nonsense you get on there about how much of the aircraft is original. :surrender:

There were any number of interesting ideas suggested when NWHA asked people for livery ideas and to end up with something so familiar is *ever so slightly* underwhelming. It looked better as Miss Velma. At least it was different.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:

I said exactly that on the Key forum last night and got lambasted for it, before it ended up in the usual nonsense you get on there about how much of the aircraft is original. :surrender:

There were any number of interesting ideas suggested when NWHA asked people for livery ideas and to end up with something so familiar is *ever so slightly* underwhelming. It looked better as Miss Velma. At least it was different.

I've never really understood peoples anger when commenting on aircraft paint schemes. I remember once being hailed with "You don't know how many hours has gone into this research..." aesthetic is pure opinion no matter how many hours have gone into it, for me it's a bit obvious.

People react as if it's owners will be so offended by an opinion it'll be locked up never to see the light the day again, an owner can paint their aircraft however they so wish but that shouldn't shut down opinion.

I'm not a fan of the pretence of it being a P-51 and not a TF-51, says to me "we'd prefer it if it was something else" same reason I'm not a huge fan of Buchon in Luftwaffe clothing, both aircraft have interesting histories in their own right.

There are some fantastic looking National Guard and Korean schemes and broadening the range schemes only highlights how versatile the Mustang was.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

I think the 'Contrary Mary' scheme is fantastic, certainly far from dull and very eye catching. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh this weekend!

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

Fairly generous photo competition this year!

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/FlyingLegendsOfficial/photos/a.1423621051223966.1073741828.1412361495683255/2098673230385408/?type=3&theater[/fb-post]

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

As always, we have put in place all necessary measures to maximise public safety at the Flying Legends Airshow IWM Duxford. There will be bag searches on entry to the site and marquees to provide a safe and enjoyable environment for our airshow spectators.
Thank you for understanding.

How will they do bag searches with cars that park on site?

Brian

DfG on Facebook

JoshWiggins

Post by JoshWiggins »

They were picking cars at random on entrance by land warfare, but that was 1 in every 10-15 cars. Even then the search was a quick look in the boot and away you go..

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Red Bull certainly does give you wings judging by the way the DC-6B was being thrown around and who needs to got to Fairford to hear 'Dave' making a lot of noise. The 4 Buchons came in from the south over where the French Chateau was in the BoB film and after stooging around for a bit, were chased of by a couple of Spitfires. Not the best Legends but enough to hold the interest but it was hot, early afternoon tower said the temperature was +25C and reading +28C on the bus back into Cambridge.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

About the last two days one word WOW !!!!!!! )))))))

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Rather tired to post a full opinion tonight. But once again a high quality Legends, the BOB Film tribute was amazing to witness.

I really do love the Dakota and Beech 18 formation team. Amazing display from them. Also the F35 jet and Mustang and Spitfire Heritage Flight display, a massive WOW !!

Especially the F35 with afterburner on climbing, the loudest single engine Jet, I have heard. I will post more highlights of mine tomorrow, but I definately got my moneys worth, yet again both days )) action all the way ! I never know where to look !

james solomon

Post by james solomon »

What reg was the F35

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Brian

DfG on Facebook

NTG1610