Flying Legends 2018

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
eirik
UKAR Supporter

Flying Legends 2018

Post by eirik »

Dates are set for July 14th and 15th.

Eirik
Part of the Norwegian Spitfire Foundation.
http://www.norwegianspitfire.com

My photos:
http://aviationpix.no

County1884

Re: Flying Legends 2018

Post by County1884 »

ME 262 confirmed :lmao: :lmao:

neilos

Post by neilos »

eirik wrote:Dates are set for July 14th and 15th.

Eirik

Is that official?

eirik
UKAR Supporter

Post by eirik »

neilos wrote:
eirik wrote:Dates are set for July 14th and 15th.

Eirik

Is that official?

Those are the offocial dates.
Stated on their Facebook page.

Eirik
Part of the Norwegian Spitfire Foundation.
http://www.norwegianspitfire.com

My photos:
http://aviationpix.no

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

So that means yet another Legends/RIAT clash then? Why couldn't they leave it as it's been for the past few years, ie the 2nd weekend of July.. OK, I know its only the 1st on the Sunday but...oh well, whatever..... :dizzy: As I look at it still makes 8th/9th the second weekend...and it's not as though future RIAT dates weren't know, they announced the next 5 years last July.... :dunno:
...Rad shutters auto.

R4118

Post by R4118 »

Real stupid move.

So no Legends for me in 2018.........
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Especially in view of the historical nature of RIAT 2018 where, one assumes, they will be trying to get some Spits/Hurricanes into the flying programme,

just bonkers
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Not the least bit surprised by the clash with RIAT on a yet another Farnborough Year

........sorry Duxford, RIAT wins for me :cuppa:

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

paullangford wrote:Not the least bit surprised by the clash with RIAT on a yet another Farnborough Year

........sorry Duxford, RIAT wins for me :cuppa:

and me too. It just strikes me as crassly stubborn stupidity :mad:

Andy :sad:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

and me.

The Fighter Collection will say, "we're on the same weekend every year, so its RIAT clashing not us..". The reality is, RIAT show some common sense and flexibility and fall back every other year to accommodate Farnborough. Legends could so easily to the same.

To have the UK's only two world class aviation events happen on the same weekend is absurd. And in next year of all years, RAF 100, bloody minded.

I will carry on doing Legends every other year.

Canon

Post by Canon »

Maybe they're planning to try and benefit from the clash like they did last year with the heritage flight/ F-22 display :dunno:
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Sounds like I might get a place on the fence at Legends next year then.....

As a one day per year RIAT man I can do Legends the other day - just have to guess the weather right!

John

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Mon 27 Aug 2018, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neilos

Post by neilos »

FarnboroJohn wrote:Sounds like I might get a place on the fence at Legends next year then.....

As a one day per year RIAT man I can do Legends the other day - just have to guess the weather right!

John

Unless, god forbid, RIAT gets rained off again, and everyone panic books for Legends :shock: :lol:

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Unless, God forbid, Legends only sells 10,000 tickets & they bin-it! Then you get the fence to yourself. (oh!...& Brian?) :biggrin:

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

I think Flyng Legends has done pretty well on the previous occasions that the two airshows have shared weekends. And to be honest, I'm sure Legends will find its way even if it does miss the odd Spitfire, Hurricane or Blenheim for one year.

Its just a little bit irritating for those that want to attend both!

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Yep, I'm sure there's no problem with RIAT and Legends clashing, in terms of visitor numbers and aircraft participation. But in my opinion a massive shame that arguably the two biggest UK airshows are on the same weekend (again).

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Although both can exsist on the same weekend, taking this years Legends line up there were still a number of Spitfires' and a Hurricane still available, (the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar for example), it's frustrating that two of the biggest airshows' of the year have to be on the same weekend.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

I will agree it's a shame both are the same week end, but for me it's no biggie Riat on Friday and Legends on Sunday. Saturday a rest day from travelling to Riat and to prepare for Legends.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Dipped my toe into the thread out of curiosity...

Saw the dates... Mind boggled...

Meh... RIAT wins every day of the week...

Leaves towel on the fence by the Land Warfare Museum for 2019. :hypno:
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

austinp

Post by austinp »

Grrrr, what a damn shame.

This years' Legends was only the second one I've attended (after the RIAT wash-out of 2008). And I really enjoyed it, fantastic atmosphere and perfect weather. Was looking forward to 2018, but I've already got things lined up for RIAT.

Why can't the organisers TALK to each other.

This year, Scampton is in the slot Duxford's September usually is in :-S Was this Duxford's decision, or did the Scampton crew force Duxford's hand? Anyway, its bloody annoying, as (1) the flying lineup at Scampton is not great and (2) I'm already booked when September airshow finally takes place.

:-S

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Scampton may have ousted Duxford from this weekend?? but maybe we get better weather on the later Duxford Weekend ! :biggrin: :yahoo:

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

So let me get this right. You want airshow organisers (such as those at Duxford) to talk to other airshow organisers to avoid clashes, except in the circumstance where that has seemingly happened and there isn't a clash (involving a Duxford show), where you actually want the two airshows to clash!?

Baffling.

austinp

Post by austinp »

HuwJHopkins wrote:So let me get this right. You want airshow organisers (such as those at Duxford) to talk to other airshow organisers to avoid clashes, except in the circumstance where that has seemingly happened and there isn't a clash (involving a Duxford show), where you actually want the two airshows to clash!?

Baffling.

You seem to have got mixed up a lot there Sir.

On behalf of the people, it would be in the interest of the Organisers to TALK to each other to avoid clashing. The season flies by fast, and is short, yet there is room for zero clashing IMO.

I referenced Duxford September Airshow, since I have been going (for the last 10 years plus), it has also been in the slot that Scampton has seemingly taken this year. Whether that is because Duxford and DBH talked to each other, or whether Duxford took it upon themselves to change the date; I was just putting it out there, in case anyone knew the reason for the change by DUX.

At no point did I suggest I want airshows to clash. In that respect, you've missed the point completely.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

In defence of Huw, maybe he made a comment on a much earlier post?
davidjones533 said "I really enjoyed Legends this year, but will be at RIAT next year. I know I'm not the only one who thinks it works well being the same weekend as Yeovilton - to make the most of the long journey down south."
This comment infers some people welcome a 1 Day show on the same weekend as a 2 Day show, so they can do both, because it suits them! Me, I would prefer air-shows to be on separate weekends to even the weather odds?.. & of course see aircraft that only feature in the static park actually airborne during arrivals & departures.
Enthusiasts are indeed a fickle bunch. :shock: