Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2018

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Mr Potton

Re: Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2018

Post by Mr Potton »

pb643 wrote:
In fairness to Duxford, I would imagine at this late stage, most of their expenses will be irrecoverable. I don't really see that they should have to cover a financial loss because of the weather.

Does Duxford take out insurance against bad weather? If so, ticket money ought to be refundable. If not - why not?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Mr Potton wrote: ticket money ought to be refundable. If not - why not?

Because it's written in the T&C's that it's not refundable. Should always read the small print.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

Mr Potton

Post by Mr Potton »

Pen Pusher wrote:

Because it's written in the T&C's that it's not refundable. Should always read the small print.

Brian

From which I conclude you're saying that Duxford doesn't take out adverse weather insurance. The question remains - why not?

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Mr Potton wrote:
pb643 wrote:
In fairness to Duxford, I would imagine at this late stage, most of their expenses will be irrecoverable. I don't really see that they should have to cover a financial loss because of the weather.

Does Duxford take out insurance against bad weather? If so, ticket money ought to be refundable. If not - why not?

I have no idea. However if would assume if you claim on most types of policy, you either pay an excess, lose some form of no claims discount or the cost of your policy rises for next time. So I would guess it would still leave them with some form of financial penalty.

As things stand, it is not really Duxford who need insurance, its a sellout! So with the exception of the loss of traffic through shops and cafes, they are covered. It's individual visitors that stand to make a loss if they choose not to use their ticket.

I have a vague recollection that when I recently bought tickets to an outdoor event, there was the option of insurance against cancellation etc?

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

If they negate their risk by stating in their ticket T&C's that there are no refunds then why should they? The flip side is that the weather is beautiful all weekend and IWM pay for an insurance policy that they don't need to claim on. Pretty obvious really isn't it?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Mr Potton wrote:From which I conclude you're saying that Duxford doesn't take out adverse weather insurance. The question remains - why not?

I have no idea whether Duxford take out insurance on the weather or not but air show days in the past have not been cancelled when there has been adverse weather.

Brian

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Pen Pusher wrote:

Brian

Which I believe in law cannot be enforced as it's unfair on the purchaser. For example What happens if the roof comes off a hangar as has done in the past in high winds and deems the showground unfit. should they still be able to keep the monies?. That would be the fault of Duxford for not keeping proper maintenance on the buildings.
The money in my case isn't the problem, it's more to do with travel. I would prefer to be told that no flying was possible at least a day before, than make a 3 to 4 hour journey only to find that the show was cancelled.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

The difference between event insurance excluding bad weather vs event insurance including bad weather can be anything up to a 1000% difference.

Event insurance usually includes weather making the event unsafe, i.e. serious flooding of the showground, but if it's a big cloudy and wet so things can't fly? Your insurer won't care about that, people can still get in so the event can carry on.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Mooshie1956 wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:

Brian

Which I believe in law cannot be enforced as it's unfair on the purchaser. For example What happens if the roof comes off a hangar as has done in the past in high winds and deems the showground unfit. should they still be able to keep the monies?. That would be the fault of Duxford for not keeping proper maintenance on the buildings.
The money in my case isn't the problem, it's more to do with travel. I would prefer to be told that no flying was possible at least a day before, than make a 3 to 4 hour journey only to find that the show was cancelled.

I think you can rest assured that if the weather is good enough, they'll fly some items. They won't know for sure until the day itself so it really is just a case of taking a chance.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Unfortunately weather reports are not that accurate. Here at home the forecast for today was rain clearing early morning and sunshine in the afternoon. The rain cleared and it's been wall to wall cloud and showers since.

Brian

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

cg_341 wrote:The difference between event insurance excluding bad weather vs event insurance including bad weather can be anything up to a 1000% difference.

Event insurance usually includes weather making the event unsafe, i.e. serious flooding of the showground, but if it's a big cloudy and wet so things can't fly? Your insurer won't care about that, people can still get in so the event can carry on.

Many outdoor sporting events, Wimbledon and England Test Matches for example, guarantee a minimum of two hours play or you get your money back. Or at least they did years ago when I used attend. Obviously that doesn't help with travelling or other costs.

I have no idea how much extra the cost of that insurance added to the ticket price but they presumably felt it was worthwhile overall. Duxford and other airshows could presumably do the same?

Would you be happy to have another fiver (say) added to the ticket cost for that sort of arrangement?

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
cg_341 wrote:The difference between event insurance excluding bad weather vs event insurance including bad weather can be anything up to a 1000% difference.

Many outdoor sporting events, Wimbledon and England Test Matches for example, guarantee a minimum of two hours play or you get your money back. Or at least they did years ago when I used attend. Obviously that doesn't help with travelling or other costs.

I have no idea how much extra the cost of that insurance added to the ticket price but they presumably felt it was worthwhile overall. Duxford and other airshows could presumably do the same?

Would you be happy to have another fiver (say) added to the ticket cost for that sort of arrangement?

a lot of people complain about the price of airshows already. not many would want another 5er added

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

The question of refund doesn't apply unless the site doesn't open to the public. If there is no flying display, there is still everything on the ground to see and do, so the organisers would rightly claim that the event is still taking place. The airshow is not just about the flying display.

I'm sure if the airfield was closed to visitors then a refund would apply. Like RIAT in 2008.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I've been to plenty of airshows with horrendous weather and really enjoyed them.

I will be amazed if there is no flying on either day.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

MiG_Eater wrote:I will be amazed if there is no flying on either day.

I agree.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

MiG_Eater wrote:I've been to plenty of airshows with horrendous weather and really enjoyed them.

I will be amazed if there is no flying on either day.

same. i went to gransden in 2015 and it was horrendous. the only thing we didnt get in the air was the vulcan and i believe sally b. everything else went ahead

R4118

Post by R4118 »

Flying can be very scares. Remember the september show on saterday. Rain, rain, low cloud. Nothing flew....
Frisian Flag cancelled
La Ferté-Alias postponed
Laage cancelled
Meaux cancelled
Legends cancelled
RIAT cancelled
KB cancelled
Duxford quarantine

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Saturday looks fine, not sure what the issue is with that. Sunday, imagine we'll get something in the air.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

I remember the spitfire anniversary show about 10 years ago when the wind was strong and pretty much everything other than the spitfires flew. Also remember one of the last autumn shows the forecast was so bad that we turned up and they let us in for free then the skies cleared and we got a great afternoons flying

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

R4118 wrote:Flying can be very scares. Remember the september show on saterday. Rain, rain, low cloud. Nothing flew....

Several things flew.

DocStirling

Post by DocStirling »

I've got a ticket and a day pass from the boss, so I'll go regardless. The atmosphere on the Hallowed Turf of DUX ( :biggrin: ) will be great, regardless...and I seriously doubt that nothing will fly, as others have said.

I don't think we have had a reliable localised weather forecast all summer. No one knows what it will be like in Duxford until 1 minute before it happens.
How Do I KNow

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

(quote) I don't think we have had a reliable localised weather forecast all summer. No one knows what it will be like in Duxford until 1 minute before it happens.[/quote]

Quite. Even with all the modern technology nowadays I find the only weather they can guarantee is what it was like yesterday.... :heyhey:
Here's hoping for a good weekend whatever we get...
...Rad shutters auto.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Have I been in a different country all summer or something? We had brilliant weather consistently for the summer, and in almost all cases, it was forecast correctly....
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Going Sunday...unless someone can't go Saturday and wants to swap a Sunday ticket and car park pass.........

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I'll be there both days.

Sunday could be difficult, but i've no doubt it'll be a fun day out!