Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2018

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2018

Post by Pen Pusher »

MiG_Eater wrote:I note that every aircraft is currently or formerly operated by the RAF, except for the Yak-3

When did the RAF operate MiG-15's? :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Pen Pusher wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:I note that every aircraft is currently or formerly operated by the RAF, except for the Yak-3

Brian

Did you never read about our own Area 51 at Machrihanish with the secret squadrons? It's got a British (derived) engine anyway.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

st24

Post by st24 »

iainpeden wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:

Brian

Did you never read about our own Area 51 at Machrihanish with the secret squadrons? It's got a British (derived) engine anyway.

But not a RAF engine per se...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Amp

Post by Amp »

I assume the Yak, Mig and Bouchons are to represent the historical opponents. As stated above, it looks a great event indeed.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

They are only called Battle of Britain airshows as they take place in September which was when the turning point of the Battle of Britain took place. In the 1960's nearly every RAF station had a Battle of Britain airshow and not a warbird in sight.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Amp

Post by Amp »

Agreed Brian. I recall attending many of those events back in the day!

jonny7

Post by jonny7 »

It was really brilliant in those times gone by, the B of B display days were free. :smile: Not a sign of a whingeing, frothing at the mouth troll to be had, bemoaning freeloaders at shows... :joystick: :wave:
Don't say something crass, to hide your envy. Just give credit, when its applicable...

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

I've not been to A Duxford show since before my kids were born but they are old enough to look after themselves now so me and the missus are seriously tempted to go in September. I am not a photographer so am not interested in making a claim for a piece of the fence but can anyone recommend somewhere to head for that doesn't lend itself to photography so I am not going to get in the way of any viewfinders but still be able to soak up the atmosphere, breathe in the fumes etc?

Also does anyone know what time the display starts? I know it's normally around 2 but haven't some of the shows this year been starting earlier around 1pm? As I said I don't need to get there super early to bag a good spot and I've done the museum plenty of times so it would be fine for us to get there a couple of hours before the show itself starts.

I know these sorts of questions get asked by idiots like me every year and i did try to research previous posts beforehand to no avail so any advice gratefully received.

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

I am not a photographer so am not interested in making a claim for a piece of the fence but can anyone recommend somewhere to head for that doesn't lend itself to photography so I am not going to get in the way of any viewfinders but still be able to soak up the atmosphere, breathe in the fumes etc?

Oddly I've never actually been to an airshow at Duxford, given I live only 40 mins away. I think the photographers tend to target either end of the display line (that's where the two press enclosures where when I was there a couple of days before the May show to watch the PDF reherasal) so if you avoid them and the front row you'll be fine.

Note that this show is looking like it's going to sell out (IWM website says it will sell out before the early bird deadline) so it will be busy.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

starbuck wrote:I've not been to A Duxford show since before my kids were born but they are old enough to look after themselves now so me and the missus are seriously tempted to go in September. I am not a photographer so am not interested in making a claim for a piece of the fence but can anyone recommend somewhere to head for that doesn't lend itself to photography so I am not going to get in the way of any viewfinders but still be able to soak up the atmosphere, breathe in the fumes etc?

Also does anyone know what time the display starts? I know it's normally around 2 but haven't some of the shows this year been starting earlier around 1pm? As I said I don't need to get there super early to bag a good spot and I've done the museum plenty of times so it would be fine for us to get there a couple of hours before the show itself starts.

I know these sorts of questions get asked by idiots like me every year and i did try to research previous posts beforehand to no avail so any advice gratefully received.

I'd would recommend using the park and ride at Trumpington; the next junction north on the M11. You must have an airshow ticket but it costs £1 to park all day and you miss the traffic queues in and out. (Takes about 10 minutes). Also means you can get to the P&R about 10 - in by 10.30 with a couple of hours to look around the museum first. Given that a lot of the Duxford parking is on the north side and therefore a bit of a walk anyway and you won't have tonnes of camera gear to carry the P&R is a very good bet.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Thanks for the replies guys. I did think about using the P&R but figured that as I was coming up from the south and the P&R was further up the M11 I would probably be sat in traffic trying to get off at the actual Duxford junction so it maybe counter productive and then vice versa when I was trying to get home again, I might get back to the car quicker but then I would be sat on the M11 southbound as everybody was coming out of Duxford and joining the M11 at junction 10, or do they have a pretty good filter system on the M11 to keep everyone moving past the Duxford junction?

Not to worry too much as I have booked our tickets anyway so we are comitted. Just hoping for decent weather now.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

starbuck wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I did think about using the P&R but figured that as I was coming up from the south and the P&R was further up the M11 I would probably be sat in traffic trying to get off at the actual Duxford junction so it maybe counter productive and then vice versa when I was trying to get home again, I might get back to the car quicker but then I would be sat on the M11 southbound as everybody was coming out of Duxford and joining the M11 at junction 10, or do they have a pretty good filter system on the M11 to keep everyone moving past the Duxford junction?

Not to worry too much as I have booked our tickets anyway so we are comitted. Just hoping for decent weather now.

I've personally never had an issue with the Duxford junction on the M11 when leaving (Heading South). However, there is always a queue a few miles further down where the A11 joins!

jonny7

Post by jonny7 »

starbuck wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I did think about using the P&R but figured that as I was coming up from the south and the P&R was further up the M11 I would probably be sat in traffic trying to get off at the actual Duxford junction so it maybe counter productive and then vice versa when I was trying to get home again, I might get back to the car quicker but then I would be sat on the M11 southbound as everybody was coming out of Duxford and joining the M11 at junction 10, or do they have a pretty good filter system on the M11 to keep everyone moving past the Duxford junction?

Is it possible for you to use either the A10, or A1 and come in on the A505 from the Royston end!
Don't say something crass, to hide your envy. Just give credit, when its applicable...

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

You can use the A505 from Royston - really depends on your starting point.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

iainpeden wrote:You can use the A505 from Royston - really depends on your starting point.

Very true, should have clarified. We'll be coming up from the south east so M11 would be the normal route in.

jonny7

Post by jonny7 »

starbuck wrote:
iainpeden wrote:You can use the A505 from Royston - really depends on your starting point.

Very true, should have clarified. We'll be coming up from the south east so M11 would be the normal route in.

Go to Junction J25 on the M25 and come up the A10, its only a few miles up from M11 turn-off and save yourself a load of bother.. :wink:

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

Must admit I have never seen any issues of queuing traffic at J10 on the M11 coming from the South and you're also adding a good 10+ miles onto your journey going via the A10 (with it also all being single carriageway from Buntingford to Duxford).

I usually pass over the junction around 9.30am on a show day so maybe it gets busier as the day goes on though! :smile:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

I hope the 18 Spitfires do one mass pass all together in formation as opposed to separate groups of 4!

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

I'd prefer the opposite! So many of these Spitfires are rarely seen outside of mass formations. How about a 5 min solo routine for each one?

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I think that may get boring after the first hour.

I think the normal routine is for the Spitfires to do one mass fly past and then split into two groups, north and south of the runway respectively, tail-chasing.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

From Duxford Facebook/Twitter

22 & 23 September. Last tickets remaining. Book now.

I was told last week that since making the RAF participation announcement, ticket sales soared and they are getting close to a sell out.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

MiG_Eater wrote:I think that may get boring after the first hour.

I think the normal routine is for the Spitfires to do one mass fly past and then split into two groups, north and south of the runway respectively, tail-chasing.

I'm fully aware of the normal routine - I've been to almost every Duxford show for the last 15+ years. I wasn't being entirely serious.

However, take for example the TFC Mk.V EP120. I have probably seen that Spitfire participate in upwards of 30 airshows. I think though that the only time I have ever seen it solo is when Nick Grey used it as an emergency stand-in for the Gladiator in the Joker slot on one day of Flying Legends 2016.

Looking at the line-up for this show and how much there is to cram in to 4ish hours I'm expecting all the Spitfires (except maybe the Mk.Is) to be done and dusted in about 10-12 mins. It just seems a shame sometimes, that's all...

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Pen Pusher wrote:From Duxford Facebook/Twitter

I was told last week that since making the RAF participation announcement, ticket sales soared and they are getting close to a sell out.

Brian

What is the capacity per day that constitutes a sell out, does anyone know?

andy759

Post by andy759 »

Pen Pusher wrote:From Duxford Facebook/Twitter

Brian

I just hope payday arrives before its sold out :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

Andy

BMrider

Post by BMrider »

Got a feeling its close to a sell out now, warnings on website , just booked in but disabled parking already sold out.