Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2018

Re: Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2018

Postby rockfordstone on Mon 17 Sep 2018, 2:51 pm

Stagger2 wrote:Quote-"Still, absolutely fantastic line up, a show the IWM can be proud of." :clap:
Let's not get too gushing before the 'Oversized' Lady has sung! There's still a shed-load of stuff that can go wrong, not least the weather? Can't blame the IWM for that bit, but it was nice last weekend on the 15th of September :facepalm:
Still, mustn't grumble. eh? :yahoo:

current reports suggest the weather should be ok. lets hope it stays that way
rockfordstone

Postby MiG_Eater on Mon 17 Sep 2018, 2:52 pm

Indeed.

Personally I think the line-up is very good, but I think the airshow itself will most likely suffer from overcrowding and a horrendous traffic jam at the end of the day. I'm going both days and am wondering how much sleep i'll get Saturday night... it might be a case of arriving home and leaving straight away!

Hopefully they'll have re-thought the positioning of the fairground too. I would have watched by my car back in may, but had a giant metal ride blocking my view which forced me to make the fenceline even more crowded!

Indeed... let's see... but it could be good!
MiG_Eater

Postby rockfordstone on Mon 17 Sep 2018, 3:13 pm

MiG_Eater wrote:Indeed.

Personally I think the line-up is very good, but I think the airshow itself will most likely suffer from overcrowding and a horrendous traffic jam at the end of the day. I'm going both days and am wondering how much sleep i'll get Saturday night... it might be a case of arriving home and leaving straight away!

Hopefully they'll have re-thought the positioning of the fairground too. I would have watched by my car back in may, but had a giant metal ride blocking my view which forced me to make the fenceline even more crowded!

Indeed... let's see... but it could be good!

yes i think overcrowding will end up being the big issue. I'm hoping that family gropus of 4 or 5 will come in 1 car. keep the numbers down :lol:

i'm doing both days and plan to start early. last year and in may i used some backroads which made my entrance and exits fairly rapid. with luck they won't be closed off for this one.
rockfordstone

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Mon 17 Sep 2018, 3:46 pm

Surely the point of an all-ticket affair is to limit both bodies and vehicles so that over-crowding can't occur. Yes, it will be busy, but it shouldn't be over-crowded.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Postby Dubs85 on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 7:45 am

Sunday isn't looking too great weather wise. Looks like Saturday is the best day at the moment

Dubs
Dubs85

Postby Albion143 on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 7:53 am

60mph gusts for Sunday, that could be fun!!
Albion143

Postby MiG_Eater on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 8:04 am

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Surely the point of an all-ticket affair is to limit both bodies and vehicles so that over-crowding can't occur. Yes, it will be busy, but it shouldn't be over-crowded.

It shouldn't... but it usually is!
MiG_Eater

Postby Tom105 on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 10:30 am

BBC says it's going to rain both days! However wind is less on Saturday. Let's hope it's wrong like normal
Thomas
Tom105

Postby Abbo46 on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 3:12 pm

BBC have become increasingly unreliable, would take their forecast with a pinch of salt.

Met Office suggests Saturday will be 'mainly dry and bright'
Abbo46

Postby rockfordstone on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 3:48 pm

Abbo46 wrote:BBC have become increasingly unreliable, would take their forecast with a pinch of salt.

Met Office suggests Saturday will be 'mainly dry and bright'

the BBC suggested RIAT might be a rainy weekend. My sunburn and the constant reminders over the tannoy to keep hyrdated said otherwise.

i think the storm systems are meant to focus on the north west through to eastern scotland, so we should hopefully miss it
rockfordstone

Postby Pen Pusher on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 3:50 pm

I'mm going to Duxford tomorrow but with 40mph+ winds forecast from the south-west, I don't think there will be much flying apart from a few tents & marques. :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby Rick on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 8:48 pm

Tom105 wrote:BBC says it's going to rain both days! However wind is less on Saturday. Let's hope it's wrong like normal

BBC now saying dry all day Saturday with sunny intervals !
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.
Rick

Postby Abbo46 on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 8:54 pm

Weather system, due to bring high winds and heavy rain is due to move in late Sat/early Sun, hence the change.
Abbo46

Postby Abbo46 on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 9:55 pm

List could do with an update: R4118 not flying and, ML407 will be participating.
Abbo46

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 10:08 pm

I believe Hurricane V7497 may display if all the post-restoration flights and paperwork are sorted out in time.
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby Abbo46 on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 5:58 am

That'd be nice. :clap:
Abbo46

Postby PirateTrickster on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 10:27 am

I don't have a ticket for the w/end although I do have the day booked off work for Friday. I was going to go and hopefully catch some arrivals and maybe some practicing although with the wind at 15mph+ all day, and 30mph+ gusts I'm thinking there won't be much to see?
PirateTrickster

Postby Pen Pusher on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 10:39 am

Catalina just gone flying with winds gusting at 36mph.
Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby UKAirshowTour on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 11:52 am

PirateTrickster wrote:I don't have a ticket for the w/end although I do have the day booked off work for Friday. I was going to go and hopefully catch some arrivals and maybe some practicing although with the wind at 15mph+ all day, and 30mph+ gusts I'm thinking there won't be much to see?

I was also planning Friday but I’m holding out until last minute to decide. Got Saturday tickets thankfully
UKAirshowTour

Postby SuffolkBlue on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 1:00 pm

Weather warning now in place from 9am Sunday to 9am Monday for strong winds. Fingers crossed that it all changes between now and then though (as naturally, I have a Sunday ticket!)
SuffolkBlue

Postby Smog Monster on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 1:36 pm

Me too... not feeling too optimistic right now though!
Smog Monster

Postby rockfordstone on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 1:47 pm

luckily I have both days (with an extra trip planned for friday) so worst case it looks like i might get a show for Saturday.

Sunday isn't looking so amazing at the moment
rockfordstone

Postby ShutterPlane on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 3:48 pm

Weather warning for Duxford you say?

:smile:

:yahoo:
Collecting Avometers
ShutterPlane

Postby frank on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 3:52 pm

PirateTrickster wrote:I don't have a ticket for the w/end although I do have the day booked off work for Friday. I was going to go and hopefully catch some arrivals and maybe some practicing although with the wind at 15mph+ all day, and 30mph+ gusts I'm thinking there won't be much to see?

Anyone experienced fridays before - is there much activity wrt practice displays
frank

Postby Abbo46 on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 3:54 pm

ARC Lysander will be on static. :up:
Abbo46

PreviousNext

Return to IWM Duxford Events