Flying Legends 2019

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
classicaviation

Re: Flying Legends 2019

Post by classicaviation »

jalfrezi wrote:With a little over six weeks to go, I'm quite surprised that there are no overseas participants announced yet! :sad:

Agreed very peculiar, indeed.
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

It's not many years ago that the participants were only revealed in the week leading up to the show.

This year seems different (slower) than recent years, but I'm not worried. TFC know what they're doing. :-)

Mike

Post by Mike »

The Norwegian Dakota group are selling tickets for the ferry flight to Legends, so have effectively self-confirmed.

classicaviation

DaveBr wrote:It's not many years ago that the participants were only revealed in the week leading up to the show.

This year seems different (slower) than recent years, but I'm not worried. TFC know what they're doing. :-)

Ah the good old days before social media! I remember the flying list going up around DX on or around the Thursday before, until that point it was a mystery unless it had arrived :lol: How times have changed
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Spitfire "PT462" confirmed.

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Reported elsewhere that, aside from the HAC example, there will be no Hurricanes at the show.

classicaviation

With yet another UK based Spitfire announced; even I have to admit to being a little nervous that we may see a below-par show.

With no visitors as such announced yet you can see this line up by attending a couple of UK shows, especially the DX BoB show. I'm clinging to hope that something spectacular is up their sleeve, or there is a legit reason no visiting aircraft are announced yet and there will be an influx over the coming weeks, as I'm feeling very underwhelmed thus far...

...and that is coming from a die hard Legends supporter!
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

classicaviation wrote:With yet another UK based Spitfire announced; even I have to admit to being a little nervous that we may see a below-par show.

With no visitors as such announced yet you can see this line up by attending a couple of UK shows, especially the DX BoB show. I'm clinging to hope that something spectacular is up their sleeve, or there is a legit reason no visiting aircraft are announced yet and there will be an influx over the coming weeks, as I'm feeling very underwhelmed thus far...

I hate to say it but at the moment I agree, I am holding out on buying a ticket and this is not like me at all. It's always been my must attend show and I have only missed two shows since 1995 and none since 2002, but with finances stretched I am finding the current line up hard to justify spending on and it is possible I will not go. I hope something special is due and that our nervousness will be unfounded.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I'm definitely hoping for more. I go to Legends the years that it doesn't clash with that other airshow and it would be a shame if it was a lacklustre one. Time is ticking, though. It largely seems to be the "home team" so far.

andy759

Post by andy759 »

I too have not missed many legends & the ones I've missed have clashed with riat as I work there as a volunteer so doing both is not really a option ,
yep we have been spoilt over the years but at the end of the day I love it I just watch & listen more these days than click away with the camera than moan about the same airframe in the same scheme its been wearing for the last 20 yrs. +

Its legends & I love it & after all Mr gray & co have done us proud over the years when they could have just parked them away in a hanger never to get air beneath their wings again if they so wished , if they were mine & I was reading some of the stuff that is about these days I would be a bit miffed

andy

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

classicaviation wrote:With yet another UK based Spitfire announced; even I have to admit to being a little nervous that we may see a below-par show.

You only need look at the display list, pre and post the CAA Shoreham legislation to get your answer. It simply either doesn't make sense to book one European aircraft at the cost of several UK participants or the display pilot doesn't hold the necessary paperwork to display. It's sad because Legends used to be the time to see rare aircraft from Europe that hardly venture to the UK, the Swiss built D-3801 being a great example, you were almost guaranteed to see it. You're not going to get that kind of participation anymore. The Red Bull team and the Norwegian Dakota being the expection, holding the correct paperwork, with the Red Bull team booked elsewhere, I wouldnt be surprised if the Norwegian Dakota represented the European participation this year.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Ryan. wrote:I wouldnt be surprised if the Norwegian Dakota represented the European participation this year.

Static only, unless they can resolve their engine issues.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

I’m still excited for the show it’s going to be great as always however with it clashing with yeovilton and with them having a harrier there is just a gem of an aircraft currently missing in my opinion and you’d have thought they’d book something to entice us more

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

It didn't occur to me until I read it elsewhere, that all the confirmed aircraft so far (apart from the Red Arrows) are all based at either Duxford or Sywell. It's a great testament to how well the UK warbird scene is doing but I agree there really needs to be something unique. I'm hoping for it to be third time lucky for Berlin Express at least ...

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:It didn't occur to me until I read it elsewhere, that all the confirmed aircraft so far (apart from the Red Arrows) are all based at either Duxford or Sywell. It's a great testament to how well the UK warbird scene is doing but I agree there really needs to be something unique. I'm hoping for it to be third time lucky for Berlin Express at least ...

Asking about at Duxford last Wednesday. Berlin Express might make an appearance at Legends. The new canopy is gleaming but I don't know when it last flew.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

classicaviation

To be fair you could put together a pretty strong show from UK based aircraft. There are a fair number of Legends "debuts" to be had in this country including the DH.9, ARCo Lysander and the Biggin 109E. Those three alone, for me, would turn this into a far more interesting line up. I know it's all easier said than done and i dont envy the organising team for all the hoops they have to jump through and the factors that go in to an aircraft's appearance.
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

classicaviation wrote:To be fair you could put together a pretty strong show from UK based aircraft. There are a fair number of Legends "debuts" to be had in this country including the DH.9, ARCo Lysander and the Biggin 109E. Those three alone, for me, would turn this into a far more interesting line up. I know it's all easier said than done and i dont envy the organising team for all the hoops they have to jump through and the factors that go in to an aircraft's appearance.

I think any combo of the three you've mentioned, and maybe Berlin Express, would be enough for me to purchase a ticket.

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

I'm not going to make the mad dash up the A303 from VL Saturday night. Yeovilton looks like a show to savour this year, and Dux looks underwhelming. I'm gonna enjoy my first week in England in two years and spend my Sunday eating a full roast with my Ma and Monday surfing with the boys. Hope everyone who goes has a great time.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Spitfire Vc JG981/G-LFVC added.

snafu

Post by snafu »

I have tickets for my son and I plus we've paid out for a hotel stay and I have to say the line up isn't overwhelming. Fully understand that post Shoreham it's more difficult these days and to get those historic planes up is an achievement in itself. I've attended Legends since the 1990's so maybe I've just got complacent about the whole thing. There's nothing currently on there that really excites me and in recent years the appearance of the F22 and F35 have been the planes that have got me going, I'd rather it was a zero, B24, mossie, ME109G, ME109E or a focke wulf. I'll still enjoy my day out looking around the hangars, watching the singers and meeting 'Laurel and Hardy' but it'll probably be my last visit.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

snafu wrote:There's nothing currently on there that really excites me and in recent years the appearance of the F22 and F35 have been the planes that have got me going, I'd rather it was a zero, B24, mossie, ME109G, ME109E or a focke wulf.

Nice to see people keeping their expectations realistic... :roll:

Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm not going unless we have at least five He 177s flying aerobatics, a three-ship of Catalinas and seven Tigercats. All in brilliant sunshine, and I think the ticket price will be a rip-off if it is any more than £2.50.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Mike wrote:I'm not going unless we have at least five He 177s flying aerobatics, a three-ship of Catalinas and seven Tigercats. All in brilliant sunshine, and I think the ticket price will be a rip-off if it is any more than £2.50.

That all sounds great, though not sure about the brilliant sunshine, not unless you can get them to rotate the airfield 90 degrees?

JJC

Post by JJC »

HuwJHopkins wrote:
snafu wrote:There's nothing currently on there that really excites me and in recent years the appearance of the F22 and F35 have been the planes that have got me going, I'd rather it was a zero, B24, mossie, ME109G, ME109E or a focke wulf.

Nice to see people keeping their expectations realistic... :roll:

So you’re telling me we’re not getting the Me-163/B-17 1945 interceptor role demo???? Outrageous. Shameful. You’ll be telling me the Smithsonian static Ho-229/He-219 restorations won’t be ready in time to fly in next.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Was expecting a complete reconstruction of the Battle of Britain. Poor value for money. :mad: