Duxford Air Festival 25th - 26th May 2019

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
rockfordstone

Re: Duxford Air Festival 25th - 26th May 2019

Post by rockfordstone »

DaveBr wrote:
rockfordstone wrote:What more do people want?

rockfordstone wrote:it's an air show. in a time when they are disappearing rapidly...

... I would expect Duxford resident operators to at least be able to get a booking at their home venue.

maybe the resident operators aren't ready for it. maybe the pilots are busy, maybe their season starts later.
there could be a myriad of reasons as to why they are not flying. its not as simple as "well they are there aren't they, they should just fly"

i'm happy with it and will enjoy it, so i guess we will just have to agree to disagree

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

It has not affected them in the past. But maybe you're right and things have changed since then, who knows. I might be too critical.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

rockfordstone wrote:maybe the resident operators aren't ready for it. maybe the pilots are busy, maybe their season starts later.
there could be a myriad of reasons as to why they are not flying. its not as simple as "well they are there aren't they, they should just fly"

I agree, that is possible. It could be that IWM approached the absent private operators and none of them wished to participate. However since all of TFC, HAC, ARCo, Norwegian Spitfire Foundation are known to have flown aircraft at Duxford in the last 2-3 weeks, I think we can say it's unlikely.

The simplest, and therefore most likely scenario is that the IWM simply hasn't booked them. As a staunch supporter of airshows at Duxford for the last 20 years I don't think it's unreasonable to ponder why they would do that.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Airshowhammer wrote:For £35 a ticket....

Actually £45+ if you want to park your car and go on the flightline walk, things which many other shows include in the headline ticket price.

classicaviation

Post by classicaviation »

Mike wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:For £35 a ticket....

Actually £45+ if you want to park your car and go on the flightline walk, things which many other shows include in the headline ticket price.

For me that there lies the issue. I've been a DX die-hard for many years now and there has always been something to peak my interest. My outlay per air show, considering I'm an IWM Member and get the discounts that come with it, still is around £100 when all costs like travel and food & drink are included. Unfortunately this is the first show in a long, long while that hasn't got me to justify the spend.

The only thing that is even close is the MB Meteor and it's only on static! So I'll pop down on the Friday, hope to catch some flying and practices, for a fraction of the cost of the show days.
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

rockfordstone wrote:We are getting a typhoon, apache, chinook, the blades, a pair of strikemasters, the breitling jets, F-15 flypast and some other jets on static?

What more do people want?

Well bearing in mind it's all down to personal taste I'd have to say that none of your highlights excite me at all.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Norwegian T33 Shooting Star, would have been splendid. They are out there.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

This is the first time for a couple of years the Norwegians haven't attended. Still - looking forward to the weekend.

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

They're usually in attendance at the September show.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

MiG_Eater wrote:This is the first time for a couple of years the Norwegians haven't attended. Still - looking forward to the weekend.

hopefully the weather is going to hold out for it

sdad

Post by sdad »

Any ideas yet when the Meteor might fly in?

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Friday, I'd imagine. Can't confirm that for certain.

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Bit naughty that they've listed the Whirlwind on the website. As far as I know, it hasn't flown so far this year and won't be airworthy by this weekend.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

anyone got a time for the F-15?
never seen one in the air don't want to miss it

Amp

Post by Amp »

Wonder where the Dakota(s) will be parked? Southside or crowd side .....

hardtarget

Post by hardtarget »

Spotty_Jag wrote:Bit naughty that they've listed the Whirlwind on the website. As far as I know, it hasn't flown so far this year and won't be airworthy by this weekend.

Especially when the official page doesnt even list DX.

https://www.historichelicopters.com/Pag ... vents.html

classicaviation

Post by classicaviation »

Amp wrote:Wonder where the Dakota(s) will be parked? Southside or crowd side .....

The first arrival has been parked South I believe. I imagine any arrivals before the show will be over there as all flight line space and public side space will have been allocated
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

Mike

Post by Mike »

The rest should be arriving next week as they are attending the event at Prestwick over the weekend. I understand most are keen to get to Prestwick ASAP and use the down-time to perform post-crossing maintenance on their aircraft.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

N3200 will undoubtedly be beautifully flown, Nellie and Contrary Mary are always great value, I enjoy the BJT (but will be seeing them more than ever before this year) and the Whirlwind would be a draw if it made it... But in the round, the line-up just doesn't have anywhere near the breadth and depth to justify the expense of attending. Plenty of people I spoke to at Old Warden last Saturday, many of them Duxford regulars, shared the same view.

This will be the first Duxford airshow I have voluntarily missed. A great shame, and a sign of the times.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

It really is looking like an airshow by the numbers, nothing to make me want to part with my money this time, and I went to the previous two Air Festivals.

neilos

Post by neilos »

Unsure with this one at present.

I’ll pop down Friday to see what’s going on. Hopefully see a few arrivals and a bit of practice displays.

TBH, way the line up is looking so far, I’d rather save the pennies, stay at home and watch the Monaco GP :lol:

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Taken from the Douglas Bader Foundation Facebook page:

APPEARING AT DUXFORD AIR SHOW THIS WEEK END !!
BADER'S BUS COMPANY- FIRST UK DISABLED FLYING DISPLAY TEAM

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Zoom wrote:anyone got a time for the F-15?
never seen one in the air don't want to miss it

won't know that until the day, and even then it will be reliant on weather

st24

Post by st24 »

Elliott Marsh wrote:N3200 will undoubtedly be beautifully flown, Nellie and Contrary Mary are always great value, I enjoy the BJT (but will be seeing them more than ever before this year) and the Whirlwind would be a draw if it made it... But in the round, the line-up just doesn't have anywhere near the breadth and depth to justify the expense of attending. Plenty of people I spoke to at Old Warden last Saturday, many of them Duxford regulars, shared the same view.

This will be the first Duxford airshow I have voluntarily missed. A great shame, and a sign of the times.

If Captain Marsh and Co aren't going to a Duxford show then it's getting serious! I hope IWM are taking note!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

How do you upgrade to the grandstand if you already have a ticket?