Duxford Air Festival 25th - 26th May 2019

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
3enrique

Re: Duxford Air Festival 25th - 26th May 2019

Post by 3enrique »

Whenever someone gets access to tomorrow's (Saturday) program please share it.

Thank you very much in advance!

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Whirlwind cancelled, perhaps unsurprisingly.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Ryan. wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:Ultimate Fighters & Sea Fury WG655 both arrived today, are they actually displaying?

I know the P-51 and P47 are due to display but is this a late addition?

Ultimately Warbird Flights updated their Facebook about an hour ago confirming the P-51 and P-47 displaying at Duxford, didnt mention the rest of fleet though.

Would love it to be true though.

they did all arrive together when i was there, so its possible they may all go up.
not sure about the sea fury but in the mic tests they implied it wasn't going to fly

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Abbo46 wrote:Whirlwind cancelled, perhaps unsurprisingly.

Agreed on the "unsurprisingly" bit. It's never a good sign when the venue isn't even on the Operator's list of events it's going to attend! :facepalm:

3enrique

Post by 3enrique »

Where would the best place to watch the Apache with the pyrotechnics behind be?

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

3enrique wrote:Where would the best place to watch the Apache with the pyrotechnics behind be?

I'm going to guess the grandstand and VIP tents

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Feeling more jaded about this show now I’m here than I was before the event.

Hangars full of airworthy historic aircraft, sitting silently awaiting another day...

Shame.

DeHav

Post by DeHav »

The fields around the pet crematorium were closed off - as far as I am aware, this is the first time they've done this. Normally, a couple dozen people walk along the fence and around the hill and security don't bother them. This time, they sent people running through the crops to move them on. The road is still open (the last one before the crematorium, on the right driving eastbound towards the airfield)

I did see a few people going over the hill, but I'm pretty sure that's just because security didn't spot them.

I'm a bit disappointed they've done this since most people who watch from that area regularly pay to go in. These people aren't freeloaders, but being treated as one certainly would certainly make me less inclined to hand over my money in the future. They can pretend it's about safety but it's no more dangerous than the road where people are allowed to park, or the M11. It's apparently safe enough for the security people to stand in the fields and take photos of the display on their phones anyway...

As for the display itself - certainly not memorable, although I've been so many times that I've seen everything before and am thus hard to impress. Could have done with another fast jet to liven things up in the second half, and more warbirds, but glad to see more RAF commitment. I used to do every Duxford show but will likely drop to one a year now since the displays aren't what they used to be (post-Shoreham safety rules, not Duxford's fault) and I've seen everything so many times.
Nikon D5300
Sigma 150-500 f/5.6-6.3
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Sigma 17-55 f/2.8
Nikon 35mm f/1.8

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I did enjoy today, but agree it could have done with another punchy act. The Gnats or Norwegians would have been great.

I really enjoyed the Apache, Chinook, Typhoon, P-47/Mustang, Strikemaster Pair and the Breitling Jets were just fabulous. I'm an IWM member so the ticket price wasn't too bad, but if i'd paid £35.00 (+ parking!) I may have felt a bit short changed. As it stands though, I enjoyed it a lot.

MikeCooper1990

Post by MikeCooper1990 »

What was the running order today? I will be there tomorrow but was just curious. Did the Meteor turn up?
2023: Shuttleworth, Abingdon, RIAT, Duxford

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Meteor arrived Friday.

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/duxfordfotogallery/posts/2309861465949738[/fb-post]

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Have to say I love the BJT, the Albatross looks so good and looks like it flies beautifully...
Oh and bravo IWM for not parking cars near the land warfare hall, this really made for a more spacious crowdline and they should have done it years ago. Although it made me wonder where they parked cars once the main field was full...

neilos

Post by neilos »

UKTopgun wrote:Have to say I love the BJT, the Albatross looks so good and looks like it flies beautifully...
Oh and bravo IWM for not parking cars near the land warfare hall, this really made for a more spacious crowdline and they should have done it years ago. Although it made me wonder where they parked cars once the main field was full...

Take it they’re still parking between the AAM & Land warefare hall thou?

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

No most of that field empty today

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

neilos wrote:
UKTopgun wrote:Have to say I love the BJT, the Albatross looks so good and looks like it flies beautifully...

Take it they’re still parking between the AAM & Land warefare hall though?

A few people parked there. They even painted lines for spaces but the majority went to the field next to land warfare

nbaker

Post by nbaker »

neilos wrote:Take it they’re still parking between the AAM & Land warefare hall though?

This was disabled parking only

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Does anyone have the running order for today :smile:

Milguy22

Post by Milguy22 »

I believe it's the same as yesterday, there didn't appear to be two separate bits in the programme. However, I did hear Ben say that the d-day flypast would be opening the show. Of course its weather dependant.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Milguy22 wrote:I believe it's the same as yesterday, there didn't appear to be two separate bits in the programme. However, I did hear Ben say that the d-day flypast would be opening the show. Of course its weather dependant.

that is my understanding as well

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

And that would be? :grin:

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

F-15 and warbirds, Typhoon, Tiger 9, Chinook, Tutor, Jet Provost and Harvard, Strikemaster Pair, Army Historics, Apache, Catalina, Blades, Bader Bus Company, Sally-B, Wingwalkers, Miles Trio, Breitling Jet Team and Spitfire to finish.

May have put the Catalina in the wrong place as displaying earlier than where printed in the programme...or it was yesterday anyway.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Thanks for that :up:

A tad hungover, so hoping for a good show :grin:

neilos

Post by neilos »

Nice one Duxford with the parking at the Royston end. Who’s bright idea was that!!

Post by 5944 »

neilos wrote:Nice one Duxford with the parking at the Royston end. Who’s bright idea was that!!

There are some pretty unhappy people on one of the Facebook groups. People getting there early to be able to park near the front as usual, only to be parked up as far away as possible from the runway!

neilos

Post by neilos »

God knows what they’re playing at with the parking. I’m not fussed where I’m parked really. I’m parked where they cut the corner when running in!