IWM Premium Membership - No tickets for Air Festival?

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
andythilo

IWM Premium Membership - No tickets for Air Festival?

Post by andythilo »

Hi

I've paid for the premium membership for myself and my wife as we want to lots of visits and photography and the membership seemed like a good idea, especially the premium members area at Duxford ;)

However, logging into the members section, there are no tickets for the Air Festival, only the Battle of Britain and Flying Legends. Any ideas before I phone them?

Thanks

Andy

p.s is the flightline walk worth the extra £5 each?

rockfordstone

Re: IWM Premium Membership - No tickets for Air Festival?

Post by rockfordstone »

andythilo wrote:Hi

I've paid for the premium membership for myself and my wife as we want to lots of visits and photography and the membership seemed like a good idea, especially the premium members area at Duxford ;)

However, logging into the members section, there are no tickets for the Air Festival, only the Battle of Britain and Flying Legends. Any ideas before I phone them?

Thanks

Andy

p.s is the flightline walk worth the extra £5 each?

i just looked and i can't see it either, you are best to call them. they are not sold out.

the flight line depends when you get there and the lineup of planes. if you get their early you can have a nice leisurely walk. the longer you leave it the more packed it gets and £5 can feel like a waste. i always do it, some days have felt more worth the money than others

andythilo

Post by andythilo »

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I'll call them tomorrow. We only live in Saffron Walden so getting there early shouldn't be an issue. The real shame is that in my years living in Walden, I've never been to a show haha.

Cheers

Andy

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Did anybody ever manage to find out what the problem was here? I went to buy my tickets last night and there was no option for the 'Air Festival' - so I bought nothing!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Go to IWM Airshow Buy Ticket Portal > Scroll down to the bottom > Click on 'Have Access Key > type in IWMu6tJL

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Pen Pusher wrote:Go to IWM Airshow Buy Ticket Portal > Scroll down to the bottom > Click on 'Have Access Key > type in IWMu6tJL

Brian

you have to book it through the normal ticket booking site, not the portal, and as above, us that code.

worth pointing out to anyone else that reads this. that code is only for members. anyone using that will need to produce a membership card on arrival

jaypee

Post by jaypee »

I tried to book yesterday and found the same problem too. After ringing the IWM I was told that the tickets for this event were being dealt with by a separate ticket provider called Universe on 0844 453 9077. Having spoken to them I have now managed to get my tickets via e mail and a pdf to print them off , I purchased "Early bird" prices at £24 for an IWM Premium member and £30 for an adult with a parking voucher at £5 , the parking ticket is not the usual full A4 as for previous shows so I hope it works. It was a little slow to go through the process as they were not too sure of the premium member but after a few holds on the telephone I was successful. E mail arrived before I had the conversation with the operator. As a final note the IWM said that all other shows were to be dealt with through the IWM which is why the Legends and September shows are visible through the IWM portal. As an aside the only problem I find with the IWM portal is that you can only book members tickets through that and you have to book other tickets through the Duxford ticket site. Hope this is a help and not too long winded.

Regards

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

jaypee wrote:I tried to book yesterday and found the same problem too. After ringing the IWM I was told that the tickets for this event were being dealt with by a separate ticket provider called Universe on 0844 453 9077. Having spoken to them I have now managed to get my tickets via e mail and a pdf to print them off , I purchased "Early bird" prices at £24 for an IWM Premium member and £30 for an adult with a parking voucher at £5 , the parking ticket is not the usual full A4 as for previous shows so I hope it works. It was a little slow to go through the process as they were not too sure of the premium member but after a few holds on the telephone I was successful. E mail arrived before I had the conversation with the operator. As a final note the IWM said that all other shows were to be dealt with through the IWM which is why the Legends and September shows are visible through the IWM portal. As an aside the only problem I find with the IWM portal is that you can only book members tickets through that and you have to book other tickets through the Duxford ticket site. Hope this is a help and not too long winded.

Regards

i think the portal is meant to be members only so you don't have to worry about codes and it makes the process easier and more streamlined.

i think the new ticket provider is a trial which quite frankly is a pain in the back side. i just want to log into the portal, book my ticket, turn up. no have to find a code go to an external site and sign up through its systems.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Even inputting the code I am only able to buy weekend tickets... what a farce!

cuban8

Post by cuban8 »

rockfordstone wrote:
jaypee wrote:I tried to book yesterday and found the same problem too. After ringing the IWM I was told that the tickets for this event were being dealt with by a separate ticket provider called Universe on 0844 453 9077. Having spoken to them I have now managed to get my tickets via e mail and a pdf to print them off , I purchased "Early bird" prices at £24 for an IWM Premium member and £30 for an adult with a parking voucher at £5 , the parking ticket is not the usual full A4 as for previous shows so I hope it works. It was a little slow to go through the process as they were not too sure of the premium member but after a few holds on the telephone I was successful. E mail arrived before I had the conversation with the operator. As a final note the IWM said that all other shows were to be dealt with through the IWM which is why the Legends and September shows are visible through the IWM portal. As an aside the only problem I find with the IWM portal is that you can only book members tickets through that and you have to book other tickets through the Duxford ticket site. Hope this is a help and not too long winded.

Regards

i think the portal is meant to be members only so you don't have to worry about codes and it makes the process easier and more streamlined.

i think the new ticket provider is a trial which quite frankly is a pain in the back side. i just want to log into the portal, book my ticket, turn up. no have to find a code go to an external site and sign up through its systems.

I've just booked on-line, Premier Member adult weekend tickets for the up coming flying legends at £53.20 per person. I phoned IWM to query why they were more expensive than the £47.50 'early bird' over 60 ticket. Apparently if you just book the cheaper, public early bird tickets as a premier member, you will not get access to the Premier Members enclosure, even when showing your membership card. This might be explained somewhere or the other in the bumf that we were sent after the new IWM system replaced the old (and much missed) Friends of Duxford, but I just can't keep track of everything. The website doesn't seem to be very clear on this, hence the call to the helpful lady at IWM. Essentially, as was made clear by her, don't try to save a few pounds on Early Bird tickets if you want to use the Premier Enclosure - they won't let you in.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

That sounds like nonsense. I've never known the enclosure staff to check anything other than membership cards. It may be the official policy, but highly doubt membership cards and ticket type will be checked at the enclosure.

Mike

Post by Mike »

The terms & conditions of IWM Premium Membership give the member access to the enclosure at airshows as one of the specified benefits. There is no restriction in those membership terms on the type of ticket you must buy. Therefore they cannot refuse you access on those grounds without being in breach of their own Ts & Cs

AJC

Post by AJC »

As one of the stewards who will be working in the Premium Members enclosure, I can confirm that we do not check admission tickets, only Membership Cards. So if you turn up to the enclosure with a valid Premium Membership Card, you will be allowed entry. If you buy Premium Membership on the day, you won't have a Premium Members admission ticket, but you will still be allowed access to the Enclosure.

cuban8

Post by cuban8 »

The information that I was given originally by IWM was incorrect as has been pointed out. I had a phone call yesterday from the ticket help line that I'd previously left a voice mail for, and their explanation for the difference in price was because the Flying legends is organised by the Fighter Collection, and they do offer a discount for over 60s on early bird tickets i.e the tickets generally available to the public. Booking via the IWM portal for premium members does not give the same discount for over 60s so the only option is to pay the full adult price, which I did. The kindly offered to refund me the difference, I declined but thanked them for offering.
I said that the website,as far as I could see, didn't clarify the fact that premium members would be charged more than the early bird price available to the general public, and they agreed to look into this. The lady also confirmed that I shouldn't have been told that access to the members' enclosure was ticket based and apologised for the error.
An honest mistake/oversight between IWM and TFC by the looks of things, not the end of the world over a tenner or so for two people, but it does need to be sorted.