Duxford 'Showcase Days'

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
JJC

Re: Duxford 'Showcase Days'

Post by JJC »

This looks good. Thinking of making the trip down if the weather is fine.

Is the flying in one block or is it sporadic acts throughout the day?
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

At the last two similar events there has been 2 blocks - approx 1 hour display flying, 1 hour break, 1 hour display flying. I don't have any info on this Sunday.

JJC

Post by JJC »

DaveBr wrote:At the last two similar events there has been 2 blocks - approx 1 hour display flying, 1 hour break, 1 hour display flying. I don't have any info on this Sunday.

Cheers - useful to know!
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Would appear the flying is taking place between 12.30 & 16.15 BST

L7648/19: Duxford: Aerodrome limitation
Q) EGTT/QFALT/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5205N00008E005
NO VISITING GA MOVEMENTS
FROM: 20 Oct 2019 11:30 GMT (12:30 BST) TO: 20 Oct 2019 15:15 GMT (16:15 BST)

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Orion

Post by Orion »

Weather for Sunday seems to be improving

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Brilliant day today. Very well organised by IWM with on-site parking. Really nice displays with the highlights being the Wildcat and trio of Spitfire, Bearcat and Corsair.

Long may they continue!

Mike

Post by Mike »

Yep, super afternoon's flying. My own personal highlights were the rare chance to see the Fury in the air, and Peter Kynsey's superb aerobatic display in the Cosmic Wind. And all viewed from the tank bank, just like the old days. A lovely way to end the season amongst friends.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Down to visit the eldest with the family. Fantastic day. What a way to finish the season.
Keep this sort of event for next year Duxford.
10 out of 10 :clap: :clap:

frank

Post by frank »

Might think about attending these next year.
If I may ask re parking and attendance - how does this compare with an air show at Duxford or is it more low key.
Is parking still on the airfield or has it moved across the road.
Any comments gratefully received.
many thanks
Frank

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Attendance was more than a standard non-airshow day, but nowhere near an airshow-sized crowd. I'd say yesterday had fewer people through the door than your typical pre-Legends Thursday or Friday. No trouble getting a table in the main restaurant or the American Air Museum café, and no on-site crowding at all. When I arrived at 11am, the main car park was very quiet with around a quarter of the available parking spaces taken, if that.

IWM members parked on the airfield, outside Airspace. Non-members parked in the museum car park.

It was a joy to be back on the tank bank for the afternoon. It had the feel of an Autumn Airshow, stood in the cold looking out over the airfield with cloud and the very odd bit of sun. As a free day out with your mates, stood on the stretch of crowdline that was such a big part of Duxfords of old, watching vintage aircraft displaying, I couldn't really fault it.

Alpha Delta 210

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

Elliott Marsh wrote:Attendance was more than a standard non-airshow day, but nowhere near an airshow-sized crowd. I'd say yesterday had fewer people through the door than your typical pre-Legends Thursday or Friday. No trouble getting a table in the main restaurant or the American Air Museum café, and no on-site crowding at all. When I arrived at 11am, the main car park was very quiet with around a quarter of the available parking spaces taken, if that.

IWM members parked on the airfield, outside Airspace. Non-members parked in the museum car park.

It was a joy to be back on the tank bank for the afternoon. It had the feel of an Autumn Airshow, stood in the cold looking out over the airfield with cloud and the very odd bit of sun. As a free day out with your mates, stood on the stretch of crowdline that was such a big part of Duxfords of old, watching vintage aircraft displaying, I couldn't really fault it.

I completely agree with you, Elliott. I had a great day! :clap: