UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2019

Post by UKTopgun »

Many thanks

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

Mike wrote:The shuttle bus queue currently looks like a scene from Dunkirk.

I decided to make weekend of it but booked my tickets after the onsite parking had been snapped up as I didn't know if I would be free to go. Babraham P&R was also sold out for Saturday so I was left with Trumpington P&R. Got there at 8.30, parking was no problem and managed to get the next bus which took us to the main entrance. There was a long queue to get through security and ticket check but once in it was a case of finding a spot. To say that the exit queue was like a scene from Dunkirk bears no resemblance to what those chaps went through, though I understand what Mike means. It took me 1.5 hours from joining that queue to getting to my car. I will say that staff were very apologetic and very helpful. Extra buses were eventually put on and I managed to exit in a minibus with others.

Even though the route from Babraham takes you past Trumpington and onto the M11 south, it was still quite quick in both directions. Ticket and security checks at the bridge were quick and efficient and on return, the queues were relatively short as was the wait.

The P&R is not ideal if you want to get on the fence line or are carrying lots of gear. The first bus could do with being earlier for me. If your only option is offsite, Babraham is worth the extra £5 on the entrance fee. Would I do it again? The weather was an uncontrollable factor on Sunday. Saturday was a good show spoilt by transport issues so I'm afraid I'm out.

Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

UKTopgun wrote:The first manoeuvre of Brian Smith's display in MH434 was something I don't ever recall seeing a spitfire doing, expecting the standard loop or half Cuban it was in fact something akin to what the Bearcat can do in the climb. Or am I talking nonsense?

Also does anyone know what the orchestral version of the Last Post is called, have been trying to find out ever since the days of the Spitfire solo finale at Biggin, when it always got played.

I too have always wanted to know what that piece of music is. It is stunning, I too used to love it at Biggin. I am Biggin Hill born and bred and fly from there and to see Ray Hanna closing the show to that piece was just so emotional.

Did they play it at Duxford? If so it might be worth contacting either Duxford or OFMC as they might well know. Just a thought...

xr221

Post by xr221 »

Blackjack, the musical track that accompanied MH434,s solo and the Spitfire solo at Biggin Hill was :- Title: The Last Post Artist: Graham De Wilde Album; The Red White and Blue.

Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

xr221 wrote:Blackjack, the musical track that accompanied MH434,s solo and the Spitfire solo at Biggin Hill was :- Title: The Last Post Artist: Graham De Wilde Album; The Red White and Blue.

Thank you so very very much! I have been trying to find this out for years!
I have got to find a copy of it!

xr221

Post by xr221 »

Watch and listen again to MH434's solo with 'The Last Post', the finale to Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow (Saturday) 2019, here:-https://youtu.be/Z4H5gDJb6H8

Steve.