Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2019

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2019

Post by UKTopgun »

The first manoeuvre of Brian Smith's display in MH434 was something I don't ever recall seeing a spitfire doing, expecting the standard loop or half Cuban it was in fact something akin to what the Bearcat can do in the climb. Or am I talking nonsense?

Also does anyone know what the orchestral version of the Last Post is called, have been trying to find out ever since the days of the Spitfire solo finale at Biggin, when it always got played.

neilos

Post by neilos »

Getting in today was probably the easiest it has ever been!. Drove straight in the Royston end, parked up by 08:15, zero queuing :shock:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

UKTopgun wrote:The first manoeuvre of Brian Smith's display in MH434 was something I don't ever recall seeing a spitfire doing, expecting the standard loop or half Cuban it was in fact something akin to what the Bearcat can do in the climb. Or am I talking nonsense?

I noticed this also. Seemed to hang in the air for ages!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

UKTopgun wrote:The first manoeuvre of Brian Smith's display in MH434 was something I don't ever recall seeing a spitfire doing, expecting the standard loop or half Cuban it was in fact something akin to what the Bearcat can do in the climb. Or am I talking nonsense?

Also does anyone know what the orchestral version of the Last Post is called, have been trying to find out ever since the days of the Spitfire solo finale at Biggin, when it always got played.

The initial climb rate of the Spitfire IX (and I know of course that modern operators don't use max chat on the Merlin) was something like 4000 ft/minute: it's a beast when you point it up.

I'm not sure what you mean by the orchestral version of the Last Post but possibly the most haunting bugle call used by the British Armed Forces is the Royal Navy sunset call which has been rearranged for orchestra, brass band etc repeatedly, could that be it?

197cup

Post by 197cup »

Today’s line up according to commentator
4x buchons
3x spitfires 4x hurricanes
Battle or Britain memorial flight
Great War display team
Ww1 dh9
3x Hawker (Sea) fury
B-17, P-47
4x Mustangs
Blenheim, Lysander, gladiator
Catalina, wildcat
Corsair, Bearcat
Stearman, Yale, valiant, Harvard’s
Yak 3 and 9
Norwegian historic jets
Spitfire finale

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

neilos wrote:Getting in today was probably the easiest it has ever been!. Drove straight in the Royston end, parked up by 08:15, zero queuing :shock:

It is incredibly quiet today. I think the weather has scared people off. It's glorious at the moment

pb643

Post by pb643 »

rockfordstone wrote:
neilos wrote:Getting in today was probably the easiest it has ever been!. Drove straight in the Royston end, parked up by 08:15, zero queuing :shock:

It is incredibly quiet today. I think the weather has scared people off. It's glorious at the moment

Agreed, no traffic on the M11 slip road fr the north at all, straight on to the round about and in barely slowing at all. Wierd. Quietest fur a September show on years.

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Heavy rain on the way.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

jules48 wrote:Heavy rain on the way.

I've seen it on the radar. That should be fun :lol:

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

I guess ENG v TON (Rugby World Cup) may be a factor too.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

First of the heavy rain has just fit. DH-9 has cancelled. Sea Furys currently in the air and estimate 5 mins for this rain to pass.

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Mustang four ship scrubbed.

197cup

Post by 197cup »

Corsair, Bearcat and Norwegian Jets also cancelled.

neilos

Post by neilos »

If the Catalina cancels you know it’s REALLY wet :lol:

I left after ending up looking like a drowned rat. That was some down pour! :sad:

Lightningkid70

Post by Lightningkid70 »

Watching MH434 doing that yesterday in glorious sunshine at the end was amazing. As it's a regular performer & had te "seen it so many times" feeling, I was about to pack my bags and go, but I held on, got my camera back out & glad I stayed to watch.
It was also very moving to hear that music which I would also like to know exactly where it's from. Wether it comes from a movie maybe?
Very moving flying entertanment at Duxford yesterday.

Martin

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

An okay day, bit damp and flying a bit disjointed. Shame to see cliff spink retire but a nice display to end on! Mercury formation was nice to see as was the Bob set piece.
Thomas

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Thoroughly enjoyed the show yesterday! I'd have to single out the simply stunning closing solo by MH434, the late afternoon sunshine combined with silence aside from the purr of the Merlin was by far, one of the finest airshow moments of the year, a truly wonderful tribute to a remarkable pair. :clap:

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Today's show had looked fantastic on paper, particularly the T33, DH9 (having had it go u/s at Legends), the Sea Furys and Lysander's all a little bit different to the standard Duxford lineup. Potentially my best show of the year. In actual fact, it fell a long way short of that. This was of course primarily down to the weather. The morning and first hour was actually dry and at times warm and sunny. The opening Battle of Britain display was fantastic, consequently making the BBMF two ship seem rather tame. Unfortunate timing of two displays, what happened to the Hurricane? GWDT also very good, though those landings looked very hairy. The DH9 again, refused to play , though I am not sure they would have risked flying it with that horrid crosswind? Then the weather began to really interfere, the Sea Furies did display, eventually, occasionally disappearing into the cloud.

The rest of the programme was rather hit and miss with some cancellations, T33, Mig15, Corsair and Wildcat to name some. The Mustangs routine was heavily hit by weather and/or technical issues, rapidly reducing to a very tidy pair. Some sizable pauses up to the Spitfire finale. Nice to see a larger Spitfire formation, I am curious why the others stayed as two three ships?

All in all, an ok day, badly hit by the weather. Equally it could have been a lot worse and had no flying at all. My first time at Duxford on a Sunday, because the Saturday parking tickets sold out without warning. A definite case of what could have been :roll:

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

pb643 wrote:Today's show had looked fantastic on paper, particularly the T33, DH9 (having had it go u/s at Legends), the Sea Furys and Lysander's all a little bit different to the standard Duxford lineup. Potentially my best show of the year. In actual fact, it fell a long way short of that. This was of course primarily down to the weather. The morning and first hour was actually dry and at times warm and sunny. The opening Battle of Britain display was fantastic, consequently making the BBMF two ship seem rather tame. Unfortunate timing of two displays, what happened to the Hurricane? GWDT also very good, though those landings looked very hairy. The DH9 again, refused to play , though I am not sure they would have risked flying it with that horrid crosswind? Then the weather began to really interfere, the Sea Furies did display, eventually, occasionally disappearing into the cloud.

The rest of the programme was rather hit and miss with some cancellations, T33, Mig15, Corsair and Wildcat to name some. The Mustangs routine was heavily hit by weather and/or technical issues, rapidly reducing to a very tidy pair. Some sizable pauses up to the Spitfire finale. Nice to see a larger Spitfire formation, I am curious why the others stayed as two three ships?

All in all, an ok day, badly hit by the weather. Equally it could have been a lot worse and had no flying at all. My first time at Duxford on a Sunday, because the Saturday parking tickets sold out without warning. A definite case of what could have been :roll:

i thought the BoB display yesterday was a lot better than the saturday. it felt like a spitfire/hurricane scramble where as saturday felt like they were just taking off to join in.
i could be wrong, but the 3 ship spits may stem from the fact that one of the spitfires had a moment on saturday so didn't go up. leaving 6 planes separate rather than 7 (maybe someone with more insider knowledge will confirm this).

its a shame yesterday was so affected by the weather, because saturday was one of the best shows ive seen this year. if not the best

Tangoringo.

Post by Tangoringo. »

I agree with the plaudits given to Brian Smith and Cliff Spink’s solo displays yesterday, each highlighting the merits of each particular mark of spitfire. Personally though, I think particular credit should go to John Romain too. I thought his display in N3200 was just beautiful and one of the stand out solos I’ve seen over the last decade or so and really demonstrated the aircrafts’ beautiful design to the full.

Credit to all the airmanship yesterday in what must have been pretty yucky conditions for an hour or so. Shame we lost a couple of displays but sh!t happens and I still thought it was one of the standout shows this year and, dare I say it, put legends in the shade. THE B of B set piece will live with me for a long time.

All very much IMHO.

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

i could be wrong, but the 3 ship spits may stem from the fact that one of the spitfires had a moment on saturday so didn't go up. leaving 6 planes separate rather than 7 (maybe someone with more insider knowledge will confirm this).

That's correct. MV154/D-FEUR suffered a prop strike on departure.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I really enjoyed yesterday. As a non-warbird-nut the participation was not desperately exciting for me, but nevertheless I bought my tickets. In the end I had a great day. As has been said - the BoB set piece was excellent, as was the Spitfire finale. That Mk.1 display was one of the best Spitfire displays i've ever seen.

A really great day... but more jets next year please :biggrin:

pb643

Post by pb643 »

MiG_Eater wrote:A really great day... but more jets next year please :biggrin:

I presume the runway length is mariginal for jets landing back in the wet? Seemed odd as they started the engines and sat with them running in very heavy rain, the runway was not dry at the time they started?

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

The reverse (half) cuban is a comparatively rare manouevre, but there are a few who fly it. Richard Grace, Pete Kynsey, Dave Southwood (who added a full aileron roll before pulling inverted) and Charlie Brown are three I've seen fly it in Spitfires and other warbirds. Historically, it was Stephen Grey's opening figure in all piston fighters. Brian's execution is wonderful - it's as though the Spitfire hangs there before dropping over the top. Just lovely.

xr221

Post by xr221 »

Having filmed MH434's solo display, I put the audio through an online music identifier. It says that the track accompanying the display is - Title: The Last Post Artist: Graham De Wilde Album; The Red White and Blue.