Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2019

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2019

Post by Pen Pusher »

And it wasn't even an air show. :biggrin:

Second time ARCo have put up their big wing. First was the Friday before Legends and they lined up , wing tip to wing tip, on the jet pan facing the crowd line and opened up the engines together. :drool:

One of the engineers at ARCo requested a Mk1 and XVIII pairs flypast for the photographers. It was for the two extremes of the Spitfire family lowest power and highest powered and something that had probably not been seen before. We did thank him for that.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

R4118

Post by R4118 »

It was great today. The 4 mustangs were great.
Looks like easterly wind tomorrow also....
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Couldn't make it this weekend so went along today. What a wonderful day. Sharkmouth is certainly "back", you couldn't keep him out of the sky today!

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Having a great day so far!

Was on the flightline walk and someone said to a steward 'Can you move these actors out my way, they're in my way'. They moved and he didn't even take a picture and ended up moving himself. Truly bizarre.

Very self entitled, be patient and they will move.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Any feedback on travel from the north down the A1 and A14 would be appreciated. I have read the website, but I would be lying if I said I was totally clear on ilthe implications.

Phil

neilos

Post by neilos »

pb643 wrote:Any feedback on travel from the north down the A1 and A14 would be appreciated. I have read the website, but I would be lying if I said I was totally clear on ilthe implications.

Phil

Taken from the ‘A14’ twitter feed.

This weekend’s #A14C2HClosures (1 of 2)
9pm – 6am unless stated

*Fri 9pm – Mon 5am*
#A1M SB J14 to Alconbury
Woolley Road
#A14 EB Histon J32 exit and entry slips
#B1049 Bridge Road NB

*Cancelled*
*Fri – Sun* 3 nights
#A14 WB Swavesey J28 between exit and entry slips

This weekend’s #A14C2HClosures (2 of 2)
9pm – 6am unless stated

*Sat 5am – Mon 5am*
#A1 NB Brampton Hut to A1M J14

*Sat 7am – 7pm & Sun 7am – 7pm*
#A1198 Ermine Street (between Godmanchester & Papworth)

Mike

Post by Mike »

The shuttle bus queue currently looks like a scene from Dunkirk.

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

pb643 wrote:Any feedback on travel from the north down the A1 and A14 would be appreciated. I have read the website, but I would be lying if I said I was totally clear on ilthe implications.

Phil

Traffic from north ok at 0800 this morning, A1M reduced to single lane approaching J14 but traffic kept moving and beyond this it was just the normal A14 roadworks. Traffic management for the show takes you off of M11 at J11 though and on a big loop detour to the car parks.

I was most interested in the Yaks and MiG today but it was a great show, Mustangs were excellent and the standout surprise act for me was the GWDT, they were great!

The German Spitfire spectacularly dug its prop into the dirt trying to take off, no obvious serious damage but aborted today and I wouldn’t put money on it flying tomorrow.

Mike

Post by Mike »

They towed it up to ARCo, missing several inches off each prop tip. That prop won't be flying again.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

A very good show in superb weather today - the problem was that the sun was so strong that photography was (at best) tricky. I've not had a chance to download from the card yet. To my very pleasant surprise getting out was easy as was getting in, although I left after the first couple of flypasts from the Spitfire finale.

Andy :smile:

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Thanks for the A1/A14 traffic info.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Great day all round as far as I'm concerned!! Dare I say even better than Legends?? Got in no problem and was parked near the new memorial at the back of the 'new' disabled car park and drove straight out at 5.15 after the Spits.
Yes the sun was challenging but still got some decent photos. Wasn't that Valiant gorgeous! Pity about the Lanc (again!) but at least I've now seen the DH-9 fly, and bought the book too....
...Rad shutters auto.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

I agree it was better than legends this year and as a loyal legends fan it takes a lot for me to say that as I love the show. Hope the spitfire VIII is ok and the pilots doesn’t feel bad about what happened. Such a great display this afternoon

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

What happened?
...Rad shutters auto.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Today was really good.

Only complaint is some of the displays were so distant and some didn't seem to know what a topside is.

Also every time i've seen the Blenheim i'm always left underwhelmed at Dux. Distant, flat passes, always showing the underside.

Corsair, Yaks, Mustangs and Spits pick of the bunch for me!

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

keithjs wrote:What happened?

Prop dug in as he began his take off, no injury. Prop visibly damaged though.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

FlankerPhoto wrote:
keithjs wrote:What happened?

Prop dug in as he began his take off, no injury. Prop visibly damaged though.

Oops,missed that. So long as everyone is OK.
...Rad shutters auto.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Airshowhammer wrote:Today was really good.

Only complaint is some of the displays were so distant and some didn't seem to know what a topside is.

Also every time i've seen the Blenheim i'm always left underwhelmed at Dux. Distant, flat passes, always showing the underside.

Corsair, Yaks, Mustangs and Spits pick of the bunch for me!

Yes must agree I'm afraid. Sign of the times we live in nowadays I guess. My 75-300 isn't big enough anymore that's for sure.
I couldn't help notice the difference between today and Cosby a couple of weeks ago. I could do much of the flying there with my 28-200....Ho hum... :dunno:
...Rad shutters auto.

neilos

Post by neilos »

Airshowhammer wrote:Also every time i've seen the Blenheim i'm always left underwhelmed at Dux. Distant, flat passes, always showing the underside

Going by its past history at being ‘pranged’, can’t exactly blame them for treating it with kid gloves. ☹️

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

Sorry to be "that guy" but, looking at the weather forecast tomorrow, would we imagine most participants will display? I'm taking the family, who aren't chuffed with the prospect of another Duxford washout.
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

sithrity wrote:Sorry to be "that guy" but, looking at the weather forecast tomorrow, would we imagine most participants will display? I'm taking the family, who aren't chuffed with the prospect of another Duxford washout.

Depends on cloud base and visibility. Last year the Saturday was wet but most things flew

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Side note but, anybody else notice the rather close proximity of the Wildcat & Catalina after it's first loop?

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

UKAirshowTour wrote:
sithrity wrote:Sorry to be "that guy" but, looking at the weather forecast tomorrow, would we imagine most participants will display? I'm taking the family, who aren't chuffed with the prospect of another Duxford washout.

Depends on cloud base and visibility. Last year the Saturday was wet but most things flew

:up:
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

FlankerPhoto wrote:Side note but, anybody else notice the rather close proximity of the Wildcat & Catalina after it's first loop?

It did look tight. Not ever been a fan of their pairs display as sometimes they don’t seem to know where each other are

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

I thought it was a great show. Possibly the best one this year. Was nice to see some thought with the diamond 9 of spits rather than just flying past in 3s.

Heading back again today keeping my fingers crossed for the weather to hold.

I was also told by my wife's cousin who works for highways that the parking sell out was simply because they have capped parking numbers to push people onto buses