Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2019

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Mike1

Re: Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2019

Post by Mike1 »

FlankerPhoto wrote:RN201 confirmed! :drool: :yahoo:

Along with Spitfire MV293, Harvard KF183, HAC DH-9 & Hurricanes P2902, V7947 & R4118. :clap:

Belter of a show confirmed .....

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Flying legends Mk2
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Looking forward to this - but wish there was a bit more in the way of jet participation!

The MiG and T-33 are great, but it'd be so nice to see the Gnats or the Norwegian Vampires again. Of course, on the continent there is a whole host of lovely jets available - Sabre, Hunters, Magisters and... Me.262!

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

rdchawk wrote:Flying legends Mk2

MK2+
Thomas

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

The first duxford show this year I’ve been genuinely excited for

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

Pen Pusher wrote:
SATURDAY SALES FLASH – Duxford Battle of Britain tickets are selling fast! Saturday 21 September onsite parking has sold out, but don’t worry... the best way to travel is by train or Park & Ride.

To meet demand for Saturday sales we’ve released Babraham offsite parking tickets, guaranteed spaces close to the event and a short hop by shuttle, but only if booked in advance.

Brian

Unless I've seriously messed up my booking, there appears to be no park and ride spaces available for Saturday for either option. Not a happy bunny. There appears to be availability for Babraham for Sunday, though I'm guessing that's in short supply. There must be a cap on the number of car spaces available. :sad:

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

I thought you could just turn up to Trumpington park and ride.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

neilos

Post by neilos »

Aquarious wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:
SATURDAY SALES FLASH – Duxford Battle of Britain tickets are selling fast! Saturday 21 September onsite parking has sold out, but don’t worry... the best way to travel is by train or Park & Ride.

To meet demand for Saturday sales we’ve released Babraham offsite parking tickets, guaranteed spaces close to the event and a short hop by shuttle, but only if booked in advance.

Brian

Unless I've seriously messed up my booking, there appears to be no park and ride spaces available for Saturday for either option. Not a happy bunny. There appears to be availability for Babraham for Sunday, though I'm guessing that's in short supply. There must be a cap on the number of car spaces available. :sad:

You just turn up and park at the P&R sites. They’re not to know you’re attending Duxford, there are no reserved spaces as far as I’m aware.

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

Just checked again thinking I might have been mistaken. The ticket selection page states 'OFF-SITE PARKING IS AVAILABLE AT BABRAHAM PARK AND RIDE FOR SUNDAY ONLY'. When you select it takes you to the booking page and its £5 a pop. Therefore it must be ticketed only.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Aquarious wrote:Just checked again thinking I might have been mistaken. The ticket selection page states 'OFF-SITE PARKING IS AVAILABLE AT BABRAHAM PARK AND RIDE FOR SUNDAY ONLY'. When you select it takes you to the booking page and its £5 a pop. Therefore it must be ticketed only.

Babraham is closer than Trumpington, is for the airshow only and is ticketed, yes. Trumpington and the railway stations are free and you just turn up and catch the bus. There's a banner on the show website that confirms this.

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

Thanks for the clarification Wrexham, I wasn't sure whether Trumpington is ticketed or not. The shuttle bus only runs from 8.30am which isn't ideal. It also states that there are limited spaces so depending on arrival time and numbers, some people could be disappointed.

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

HAC Fury Cancelled, Stearman confirmed.

Source: Flying Programme posted on Duxford Airshows Facebook Group.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Anyone have a parking permit for Sat they want to swap for Sun?

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Is the Shark P-51 back at Duxford? I was expecting that to be a cancellation.

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Sharkmouth has also cancelled.

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

"Flying Programme posted on Duxford Airshows Facebook Group."

Hi Flankerman, don't seem to be able to see that FB page. Can you please 'cut and paste' here ?

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

It's a Facebook Group, linked:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Duxford/

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Pat Murphy wrote:Seriously, I wonder if there has been a conscious effort to limit these passes? Never seen the car park sell out before the show has :question:

Posted in the Duxford Facebook link in the post above
I heard today that IWM have limited available on-site parking to 4,790 vehicles each day ( down 600/700 spaces over last year ) to push the park and ride option.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Pen Pusher wrote:
I heard today that IWM have limited available on-site parking to 4,790 vehicles each day ( down 600/700 spaces over last year ) to push the park and ride option.

Brian

Difficult to see the business case for losing around £3000+ income from parking fees and then funding the busses for Park and Ride. It is true that some of that would be recovered from parking fees at Babraham, but that still leaves the cost of the busses (and drivers).

I think this may have more to do with the use of the space outside the Superhangar/Visitor Centre for show-related displays. This area was previously used as the Disabled car park, but that (if recent form is followed) will now be between the AAM and the Land Warfare Hall.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Personally I think this is a great decision. Getting out at the end has always been the worst bit of a Duxford airshow so i'm hoping that this decision to cut back on car numbers will improve things.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

MiG_Eater wrote:Personally I think this is a great decision. Getting out at the end has always been the worst bit of a Duxford airshow so i'm hoping that this decision to cut back on car numbers will improve things.

i must be the luckiest person alive because i have never experienced the parking "Kris Kris Tofferson!" storm others have. sometimes it's slow to get out but that's no different to any event.

Mike

Post by Mike »

MiG_Eater wrote:Personally I think this is a great decision. Getting out at the end has always been the worst bit of a Duxford airshow so i'm hoping that this decision to cut back on car numbers will improve things.

I wonder if you'll be saying the same on Monday morning after queuing for a shuttlebus at the end of the show

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

rockfordstone wrote:

i must be the luckiest person alive because i have never experienced the parking "Kris Kris Tofferson!" storm others have. sometimes it's slow to get out but that's no different to any event.

Nor me, I've never had that nightmare that gets reported elsewhere, ever. Sometimes a short delay, other times straight out, always from my favourite car park by the AAM. Oh wait, that might be about to change.

The whole thing seems rather disingenuous of IWM. And for me, its a proper 'woe is me' situation. Shifted to Sunday so I could drive to the event, we now have a forecast of sunshine all day Saturday and peeing down all day Sunday. Oh dear :grin:

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Just 3 quickies if I may?
Re the Royston P&R, When does the first bus leave and how often after that? Can you park there OK all day? Although,I'm also assuming you can only use these buses if you travel by train? Thanks in advance.
...Rad shutters auto.

Mike

Post by Mike »

You're probably better off addressing that question to Greater Anglia directly, as they seem to be organising the shuttle buses from Royston.