Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2019

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
iainpeden

Re: Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2019

Post by iainpeden »

PJ1 wrote:Morning Gents. Has anyone got any experience of the Park and Ride, to get to the show. Is it really an alternative if you don't mind taking all your stuff around with you.
I'd be coming from the A11/A14 direction, so was wondering which would be the best, Trumpington or the newly released Babraham. How long does it take to get in, are you stuck on the same roads (A505) as everybody else??
Asking as I was looking to go Saturday, and we know by now there is no on site parking left.

I have used the park and ride from Trumpington on a number of occasions with no problems as long as you get there early; role up with everyone else at 9.30 and you might find yourself queuing for the bus. It's the same at the end of the show - make sure you are near the bus exit at the end of the show to get into the queue quickly. I don't know about Babraham.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

neilos

Post by neilos »

PJ1 wrote:Morning Gents. Has anyone got any experience of the Park and Ride, to get to the show. Is it really an alternative if you don't mind taking all your stuff around with you.
I'd be coming from the A11/A14 direction, so was wondering which would be the best, Trumpington or the newly released Babraham. How long does it take to get in, are you stuck on the same roads (A505) as everybody else??
Asking as I was looking to go Saturday, and we know by now there is no on site parking left.

If coming from that direction, and depending on what time you’re hoping to arrive, then I’d use Babraham P&R. I’d avoid the M11 if possible. Don’t wanna be caught in an unnecessary jam!

Can’t comment on either P&R sites as I’ve never used them for DX.

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Some timings have been posted on the IWM website:

Battle of Britain film scenario - 1:15pm

Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - 1:40pm

Mass Spitfire formation - 4:50pm
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

L6656/19: Duxford: Aerodrome limitation
Q) EGTT/QFALT/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5205N00008E005
VISITING GENERAL AVIATION AIRCRAFT RESTRICTED DUE HIGH LEVELS OF
AERIAL ACTIVITY IN THE DUXFORD ATZ
FROM: 20 Sep 2019 12:00 GMT (13:00 BST) TO: 20 Sep 2019 17:00 GMT (18:00 BST)

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

JJC

Post by JJC »

All onsite parking, including blue badge now sold out for both days.

Not sure what’s going on with the parking policy at the moment to be honest. Have the event parking areas got smaller, or capacity on show days got bigger and car parking capacity not increased to match?

Either way, that’s one elderly blue badge holder disappointed they’ll be unable to attend. :up:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

That's really odd.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

JJC wrote:All onsite parking, including blue badge now sold out for both days.

Not sure what’s going on with the parking policy at the moment to be honest. Have the event parking areas got smaller, or capacity on show days got bigger and car parking capacity not increased to match?

Either way, that’s one elderly blue badge holder disappointed they’ll be unable to attend. :up:

Jakub.Zurek wrote:That's really odd.

Not really. The limit at Duxford has always been car parking spaces rather than pedestrian footfall which is why for big events they have to hire the field across the road from the AAM.

Last big air show of the year. 18+ Spitfires. Almost bound to be a sell-out (in spite of the constant criticism on here re admission prices which is evidently no deterrent to the much-maligned "Joe Public".....)
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

phreakf4 wrote:Not really. The limit at Duxford has always been car parking spaces rather than pedestrian footfall which is why for big events they have to hire the field across the road from the AAM.

Last big air show of the year. 18+ Spitfires. Almost bound to be a sell-out (in spite of the constant criticism on here re admission prices which is evidently no deterrent to the much-maligned "Joe Public".....)

I dunno, I get the impression something has changed. The event isn't sold out, that's the thing. There seems to be a big mismatch between parking capacity and people capacity, and one that seems greater these days than it used to be. Is this simply because the person to car ratio has changed? or because fewer parking spaces are available? Is there a push to get more to use park and rides? I don't know, I'm just asking.

I was expecting it this year, knowing how popular the event is, but I was still caught out.

I hope the bog to visitor ratio has been sorted out, that's for sure. Last year was a bladder buster.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Is there a push to get more to use park and rides?

That's one possibility IMO, to reduce traffic around the site as getting in/out of the show has been a major issue in the past.

Wrexham Mackem wrote:I was expecting it this year, knowing how popular the event is, but I was still caught out.

Likewise - no RAFAT or Typhoon or RAF100, I thought it wouldn't be a sell out. At the end of the day it just looks like a slightly beefed up Flying Legends. Perhaps IWM are doing something right after all to attract the general public.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:I thought it wouldn't be a sell out.

It isn't a sell out. You can still get in as a pedestrian.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Let’s just hope they sort out the marshalling in the car park at the end if the show rather than the customary free for all while the so-called marshals either can’t be seen for dust or are otherwise standing around doing absolutely s*d all.

Andy :smile:

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Blackbird wrote:Let’s just hope they sort out the marshalling in the car park at the end if the show rather than the customary free for all while the so-called marshals either can’t be seen for dust or are otherwise standing around doing absolutely s*d all.

Andy :smile:

I'm with you on that one Andy. Legends was a total disaster... :wall: :dizzy:
...Rad shutters auto.

R4118

Post by R4118 »

Yes Legends.
Already the traffic to get in on Saterday was a disaster. It was just unbelievable, real amateurs.
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Forecast for the weekend is mini-heatwave/23C so I imagine remaining tickets will go fast despite the lack of on-site parking.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Any one arriving by car from the north and intending using the A1(M)/A14, drivers beware.

Monday 16 September to Sunday 22 September (7 nights)
A14 westbound Swavesey junction 28 between exit and entry slips
Vehicles will be diverted off the A14 at junction 28 via the westbound exit slip and will re-join via the entry slip

From 9pm Friday 20 September until 5am Monday 23 September
A1 M southbound between junction 14 and Alconbury
Vehicles will be diverted south on the A14 link road, then east on the A14 to re-join the A1 at Brampton Hut

Woolley Road
A14 eastbound Histon junction 32 exit slip

Vehicles wishing to exit the A14 at junction 32 will be diverted to junction 33 and return on the westbound carriageway

B1049 Histon junction 32 north western quadrant

From 5am Saturday 21 September until 5am Monday 23 September
A1 northbound between Brampton Hut and A14M junction 14
Vehicles will be diverted east at Brampton Hut on the A14, then north on the A14 link to re-join the A1

Saturday 21 September (1 night)
A14 westbound Dry Drayton junction 30 exit and entry slips
Vehicles will be diverted to Bar Hill junction 29 and return on the eastbound carriageway

Full Weekend Road Closures
From 9pm Friday 20 September until 6am Monday 23 September

A1(M) Northbound & southbound

There is a map of the junctions at the bottom of the link below

https://www.scambs.gov.uk/community-dev ... ed-weekly/

Brian

DfG on Facebook

st24

Post by st24 »

After 3 hassle free, laid back, great value for money European events, here I am snookered by a UK show having to decide months in advance what day to go and if I want the simple pleasure of driving into the venue rather than being stuck with hordes of others in hot sticky buses and paying extra for the privilege.
I really don't get the UK airshow scene, and in particular this place; it really doesn't seem to do itself any favours...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

This show does seem different re parking, I have never seen parking sell out but tickets for P&R still available before.....
What annoys me is I normally stroll around at leisure after the show, now will have to join a bus queue straight after the flying...

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

st24 wrote: being stuck with hordes of others in hot sticky buses and paying extra for the privilege.

Buses are free and the Stagecoach buses I travel on have air con.

Brian.

DfG on Facebook

st24

Post by st24 »

Pen Pusher wrote:
st24 wrote: being stuck with hordes of others in hot sticky buses and paying extra for the privilege.

Brian.

They could shuttle me around in an open top Bentley with a jacuzzi and swimwear models in the back but I'd still like the choice of parking my own car on site and deciding on the day what day I want to go..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

R4118

Post by R4118 »

One has to admit, rather odd: parking is a sell out, but the actual show isn't (yet).
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

st24 wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:

Brian.

They could shuttle me around in an open top Bentley with a jacuzzi and swimwear models in the back but I'd still like the choice of parking my own car on site and deciding on the day what day I want to go..

Damn! Where was that option on the Ticket list :grin:
Seriously, I wonder if there has been a conscious effort to limit these passes? Never seen the car park sell out before the show has :question:

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Pat Murphy wrote:
st24 wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:

Brian.

Damn! Where was that option on the Ticket list :grin:
Seriously, I wonder if there has been a conscious effort to limit these passes? Never seen the car park sell out before the show has :question:

it does seem strange. even when it sells out there still seems to be parking.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 »

Weather looks set for the weekend - get the feeling we are in for a for a belter of a show....

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Now showing on the web site -
Final tickets remaining

Brian

DfG on Facebook

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

RN201 confirmed! :drool: :yahoo:

Along with Spitfire MV293, Harvard KF183, HAC DH-9 & Hurricanes P2902, V7947 & R4118. :clap: