Vintage Evening at Duxford - 22nd June 2019

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum

Re: Vintage Evening at Duxford - 22nd June 2019

Post by 5944 »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:I had no skin in this game, but it does appear to me that there is a distinct whiff that HAC and IWM view enthusiasts just as cash cows, and are in fact anxious to deny them opportunities (by denying information) if they are not going to get to lighten the enthusiasts' wallets considerably.

A goodwill gesture such as including in the cancellation email "sorry we can't run the event but you may wish to be aware that at least some of the aircraft will be flying at Duxford during the afternoon if weather permits" would have been a decent thing to do. It is ironic that in the Information Age, getting helpful information from organisations enthusiasts are keen to support is like getting blood out of a stone.

After all, entrance fees and all the appropriate insurances etc are in place to cover this, it isn't an event, just normal Duxford business. And we are constantly reminded that real enthusiasts are a tiny part of the market, so numbers wouldn't be a worry.

Are you sure about that?

I would imagine once you advertise that particular aircraft are flying, as an additional incentive to visit, then it is very close to becoming an airshow?

And yet Duxford were advertising "Showcase" days, with certain aircraft booked to fly.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

5944 wrote:And yet Duxford were advertising "Showcase" days, with certain aircraft booked to fly.

'Showcase' days have been approved and authorised by the CAA and NOTAMS for the event are issued.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

Those gutted to have not seen the DH-9 fly will now be able to see it at Flying Legends, where it is due to make its debut.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/historicaircaftcollection/posts/2358074970948357[/fb-post]

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Mike

Post by Mike »

Third time lucky perhaps? Debut at HAC Vintage Evening, no, make that Old Warden Military Airshow, oh no, Flying Legends now.

Dontcha just love airshow politics. :roll:

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Ryan. wrote:
Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:I had no skin in this game, but it does appear to me that there is a distinct whiff that HAC and IWM view enthusiasts just as cash cows, and are in fact anxious to deny them opportunities (by denying information) if they are not going to get to lighten the enthusiasts' wallets considerably.

A goodwill gesture such as including in the cancellation email "sorry we can't run the event but you may wish to be aware that at least some of the aircraft will be flying at Duxford during the afternoon if weather permits" would have been a decent thing to do. It is ironic that in the Information Age, getting helpful information from organisations enthusiasts are keen to support is like getting blood out of a stone.

After all, entrance fees and all the appropriate insurances etc are in place to cover this, it isn't an event, just normal Duxford business. And we are constantly reminded that real enthusiasts are a tiny part of the market, so numbers wouldn't be a worry.

Are you sure about that?

I would imagine once you advertise that particular aircraft are flying, as an additional incentive to visit, then it is very close to becoming an airshow?

This was certainly an issue at Jetfest at North Weald last year, they were not allowed to say when the Gnats' would be departing or risk it being considered an airshow by the CAA. It's crazy but that's the situation we're in now.

It crossed my mind but I dismissed it as paranoia. Obviously I am not paranoid enough!

So when BA originally announced their retro jets were going to do domestic flights, that turned various airports into airshows? The Red Arrows operating from other than Scampton and announcing departure times and dates in advance are/are not airshows? This is plain bonkers.

If it is simply an arrival or departure with no other aspect of "show", such as a run and break on arrival or a planned go around then I would agree. However, beyond that then where do you draw the line? Apparently a proper agreement has been reached regarding Duxford "Showcase Days" so fair enough but otherwise the boundaries just get pushed further and further until there is a problem.