[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/iwm.duxford/posts/2523878934302917[/fb-post]

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Tom105

Re: Vintage Evening at Duxford - 22nd June 2019

Post by Tom105 »

HAC have put on instagram that the DH9 was ahead of schedule and on time and the fleet is fully serviceable. Something to me doesn't feel quite right.
https://www.instagram.com/p/By3LbPMANzY ... RE0/?hl=en
(sorry i cannot get it to appear as a post)
Thomas

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Tom105 wrote:HAC have put on instagram that the DH9 was ahead of schedule and on time and the fleet is fully serviceable. Something to me doesn't feel quite right.
https://www.instagram.com/p/By3LbPMANzY ... RE0/?hl=en
(sorry i cannot get it to appear as a post)

the weather forecast isn't as bad as it was originally. wonder if its not made enough in ticket sales to run it

hardtarget

Post by hardtarget »

Deleted
Last edited by hardtarget on Wed 19 Jun 2019, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Post by Mike »

hardtarget wrote:This event has just been cancelled. Bugger.

And in other news, the Titanic has struck an iceberg in the North Atlantic, and Archduke Ferdinand has been shot in Sarajevo.

hardtarget

Post by hardtarget »

Mike wrote:

And in other news, the Titanic has struck an iceberg in the North Atlantic, and Archduke Ferdinand has been shot in Sarajevo.

?

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Mike wrote:

I thought Elliot's point was a good one given that was a major reason sited for the cancellation.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

It's a real shame. I hope any other parties who may want to consider running an evening show at Duxford are not put off by this.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

erding

Post by erding »

An announcement from Historic Aircraft Collection:

"It is with enormous sadness and regret that the ‘Vintage Evening’ on the 22nd June, due to be held at IWM Duxford, has been canceled due to a combination of challenges outside of our control.

The DH9 flight test program is progressing excellently and ahead of schedule. The Historic Aircraft Collection fleet is fully serviceable, thanks to the determined efforts of our pilots, engineers and ground crew. Without them and the dedication of our supporter's none of these unique and historic airplanes would exist.

We look forward to seeing you at one of our forthcoming U.K. and European events in the coming months.

For ticket refunds please contact the Imperial War Museum Duxford"

Please also check our FB and Twitter social media channels - we do not use Instagram - for an announcement shortly.

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Maybe Shuttleworth should host it as part of one of their evening shows :).

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

erding wrote:Please also check our FB and Twitter social media channels - we do not use Instagram - for an announcement shortly.

Whose page is this then?

https://www.instagram.com/historicaircraftcollection/
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

erding

Post by erding »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
erding wrote:Please also check our FB and Twitter social media channels - we do not use Instagram - for an announcement shortly.

Whose page is this then?

https://www.instagram.com/historicaircraftcollection/

A good question indeed, as HAC had no knowledge of that Instagram page, until we saw that comment here this morning, and we are investigating further.

Mike

Post by Mike »

The entire HAC fleet was outside at Duxford this afternoon, and all except the Fury were flown, some of them twice. Surprisingly, they managed to avoid the wind, rain hail, plague of locusts and plague of frogs promised by the IWM. Oh, and the 'not ready in time' DH-9 flew twice as well.

Make of that what you will.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Weather was perfect for it too.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

So you're telling me, those of us who were looking forward to this event only for it to be cancelled last minute, could've still travelled to Duxford and seen the DH9? :wall:

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

I could and probably would have come to this evening show to see the dh9 such a shame they didn't say everything would fly as I would have been up to Duxford very quickly!
Thomas

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

The HAC team were carrying out scheduled training.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

I’m pleased for HAC that they spent the day flying most of their aeroplanes.

As a ticket holder who cancelled plans to go to Duxford and spent the day doing something else, I’m unimpressed that I missed the opportunity to see them.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

I had no skin in this game, but it does appear to me that there is a distinct whiff that HAC and IWM view enthusiasts just as cash cows, and are in fact anxious to deny them opportunities (by denying information) if they are not going to get to lighten the enthusiasts' wallets considerably.

A goodwill gesture such as including in the cancellation email "sorry we can't run the event but you may wish to be aware that at least some of the aircraft will be flying at Duxford during the afternoon if weather permits" would have been a decent thing to do. It is ironic that in the Information Age, getting helpful information from organisations enthusiasts are keen to support is like getting blood out of a stone.

After all, entrance fees and all the appropriate insurances etc are in place to cover this, it isn't an event, just normal Duxford business. And we are constantly reminded that real enthusiasts are a tiny part of the market, so numbers wouldn't be a worry.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

I commented on the HAC Facebook post that I was disappointed as a cancelled ticket holder to have missed the chance to see their aircraft flying yesterday. My comment was promptly deleted...

I’m keen to support the likes of HAC, but as has been said, a bit of honest communication wouldn’t go amiss.

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

FarnboroJohn wrote:I had no skin in this game, but it does appear to me that there is a distinct whiff that HAC and IWM view enthusiasts just as cash cows, and are in fact anxious to deny them opportunities (by denying information) if they are not going to get to lighten the enthusiasts' wallets considerably.

A goodwill gesture such as including in the cancellation email "sorry we can't run the event but you may wish to be aware that at least some of the aircraft will be flying at Duxford during the afternoon if weather permits" would have been a decent thing to do. It is ironic that in the Information Age, getting helpful information from organisations enthusiasts are keen to support is like getting blood out of a stone.

After all, entrance fees and all the appropriate insurances etc are in place to cover this, it isn't an event, just normal Duxford business. And we are constantly reminded that real enthusiasts are a tiny part of the market, so numbers wouldn't be a worry.

Are you sure about that?

I would imagine once you advertise that particular aircraft are flying, as an additional incentive to visit, then it is very close to becoming an airshow?

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:I had no skin in this game, but it does appear to me that there is a distinct whiff that HAC and IWM view enthusiasts just as cash cows, and are in fact anxious to deny them opportunities (by denying information) if they are not going to get to lighten the enthusiasts' wallets considerably.

Are you sure about that?

I would imagine once you advertise that particular aircraft are flying, as an additional incentive to visit, then it is very close to becoming an airshow?

This was certainly an issue at Jetfest at North Weald last year, they were not allowed to say when the Gnats' would be departing or risk it being considered an airshow by the CAA. It's crazy but that's the situation we're in now.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Ryan. wrote:
Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:

Are you sure about that?

This was certainly an issue at Jetfest at North Weald last year, they were not allowed to say when the Gnats' would be departing or risk it being considered an airshow by the CAA. It's crazy but that's the situation we're in now.

It crossed my mind but I dismissed it as paranoia. Obviously I am not paranoid enough!

So when BA originally announced their retro jets were going to do domestic flights, that turned various airports into airshows? The Red Arrows operating from other than Scampton and announcing departure times and dates in advance are/are not airshows? This is plain bonkers.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

The Vulcan mob always used to say that they couldn't advise flight times or the CAA would class it as an event.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:The Vulcan mob always used to say that they couldn't advise flight times or the CAA would class it as an event.

More than ever I understand the sobriquet "Campaign Against Aviation"!