Duxford Premium membership

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
frank

Duxford Premium membership

Post by frank »

Might be interested in this particularly for the benefits of on site parking and enclosure on air show days
Can anyone share their experiences of these two aspects.
Also what is photography like from there - I presume there is tiering in the enclosure and no standing.
TIA for any comments

Mike

Re: Duxford Premium membership

Post by Mike »

AFAIK there is no preferential on-site parking for premium members

The enclosure has no tiering and has rows of chairs

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

The main benefits for me are free entry on non-airshow days and discounted airshow tickets.

There is no preferential parking and the air show enclosure alone certainly wouldn't justify membership, especially since the cafe became a commercial operation.

frank

Post by frank »

Not sure where I got the "on site parking for air shows " from - thought I read it on the IWM website but cant find any reference to it now.
Thanks for replies

frank

Post by frank »

Not sure where I got the "on site parking for air shows " from - thought I read it on the IWM website but cant find any reference to it now.
Thanks for replies

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

As we have a thread on the subject, has anyone else here renewed IWM membership recently?

I renewed Joint Premium Membership in July and have still not received new membership cards. I have asked about this a couple of times when onsite at Duxford and been told that the delay is because they have 'run out of cards'.

Pretty poor for a supposedly premium product.

Tim N

Post by Tim N »

I have Premium membership and I originally had trouble getting my discount on my Sunday tickets. I went to the correct ‘members area’ to book tickets and it was charging me £35 which didn’t sound like much of a discount . I dug out the Flying Legends email which had a link which took me to the correct place and a £28 ticket.
Be warned if you are a Premium Member.

I was annoyed to find the Saturday parking permits had sold out as this was my weather back up :roll:

neilos

Post by neilos »

DaveBr wrote:As we have a thread on the subject, has anyone else here renewed IWM membership recently?

I renewed Joint Premium Membership in July and have still not received new membership cards. I have asked about this a couple of times when onsite at Duxford and been told that the delay is because they have 'run out of cards'.

Pretty poor for a supposedly premium product.

I received mine in the post today, and this is after renewing in July!!

I did email them asking why it’s taking so long, and their excuse was ‘due to high demand’ :roll:

Never had this trouble when DX looked after membership!

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Got my cards yesterday too. Glad I won't have to faff about showing the renewal email next weekend...

Alpha Delta 210

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

Mike wrote:AFAIK there is no preferential on-site parking for premium members

As Mike says, there are chairs provided on the concrete, with space behind if you choose to bring your own chairs. No standing is permitted in the seating area during the flying display.

If you choose to remain on the grass area in front of the marquee, you are not permitted to use seats, so you must stand or sit on the grass.

The rules are enforced in a rather hit and miss fashion by the contract security staff. (Don't start me on how Premium Membership is far inferior to its predecessor, Friends of Duxford....)

As others have said, there is no preferential parking for Premium Members.

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

Alpha Delta 210 wrote:
Mike wrote:AFAIK there is no preferential on-site parking for premium members

If you choose to remain on the grass area in front of the marquee, you are not permitted to use seats, so you must stand or sit on the grass.

The rules are enforced in a rather hit and miss fashion by the contract security staff.

This seems to be a recent "innovation" as a couple of years ago there were tables and chairs provided on the grass area. As for the security staff enforcing the "rules", in my experience last year he/they were very surly as though dealing with naughty school children to anyone putting their picnic chairs on the grass !

tomward

Post by tomward »

Hi I’m new here, another immigrant from the key forum.

I’ve been considering membership too. Is it worth getting joint membership for my wife and I, or if I have single can I buy two discount tickets and Invite her into the members enclosure on show days?

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

I believe at the last show no guests were aloud in however not 100% on that as i over heard that conversation
Thomas

MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

When run by 'Friends of Duxford' members could bring in one guest. Now, under IWM ownership/management no guests are allowed. I asked about the change at one of the 2019 shows and was told "all the room is needed for members".

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

MingtheMerciless wrote:When run by 'Friends of Duxford' members could bring in one guest. Now, under IWM ownership/management no guests are allowed. I asked about the change at one of the 2019 shows and was told "all the room is needed for members".

last year you could pay a one off fee to bring them into the tent. this year you couldn't even do that.

i get my moneys worth out of the membership. i live local so go there a lot particularly in the summer and the discount on the shows etc.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

You can also get free access to Duxford on non show days with Sally B membership, OK you don't get the show discount but at £40 compared to £55 you could argue it's similar value and if anything a more worthy and needed cause.

Post by 5944 »

jalfrezi wrote:You can also get free access to Duxford on non show days with Sally B membership, OK you don't get the show discount but at £40 compared to £55 you could argue it's similar value and if anything a more worthy and needed cause.

If you think Sally B membership is too much, then Catalina membership is £20 for an adult, or £25 for a family. Only valid on non-airshow days as well, obviously.

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

I assume the Sally B and Catalina memberships are valid on Showcase Days as they are not classed as airshows? Do they also give access to the onsite parking on those days?

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Aquarious wrote:I assume the Sally B and Catalina memberships are valid on Showcase Days as they are not classed as airshows? Do they also give access to the onsite parking on those days?

no membership guarantees you parking. showcase days are included in Duxford's membership. not sure about the operator's memberships.