Duxford Shows: 2020

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
rockfordstone

Re: Duxford Shows: 2020

Post by rockfordstone »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Wed 13 May 2020, 4:16 pm
I wont be going. My health is more important to me that watching a few aeroplanes I've seen flying before, fly.

Besides with back to work day today, in two weeks we'll be in strict lockdown again as the death rate rises.
that's kinda where i am. honestly, i don't think it will go ahead, other countries are already saying gatherings that size before autumn is a no no

In a Maze

Post by In a Maze »

I would be amazed if the show even goes ahead. I`ve been going to the September show since Leuchars folded, but not this year, I`m just not prepared to take the risk.

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/faqs/covid-19

Detailed information, regarding the social distancing measures.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

FlankerPhoto wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020, 12:07 pm
https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/faqs/covid-19

Detailed information, regarding the social distancing measures.
I admire their optimism, but I’m honestly not sure what IWM are trying to achieve here? Are they trying to stay ahead of the game?

Yes, we all want airshows to resume, but we hardly know what will happen in the next fortnight, yet alone by the time we reach September. Who knows what life will look like.

The news of an evening show is most welcome though, especially after last year’s fiasco with the DH9’s debut.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Thu 30 Apr 2020, 12:11 pm
More likely making Friday arrivals day part of the show and costing more for entrance,
Brian
I said Friday arrivals and practice would be part of the 3 day show and cost for entrance and hey presto - Members Friday price is £29-80 PLUS £5 parking.

Doesn't matter, still not going.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Mike

Post by Mike »

Brian, it is very clearly stated that Friday is a display day including a Proms in the evening, not just the usual arrivals and practice

"The new Duxford Battle of Britain Proms on Friday 18 September will start off Air Show commemorations, filled with flying and entertainment, climaxing with sunset flypasts and an evening filled with music."

BobL

Post by BobL »

Mike wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020, 1:04 pm
Brian, it is very clearly stated that Friday is a display day including a Proms in the evening, not just the usual arrivals and practice

"The new Duxford Battle of Britain Proms on Friday 18 September will start off Air Show commemorations, filled with flying and entertainment, climaxing with sunset flypasts and an evening filled with music."
...followed by two weeks of self isolation or a prolonged stay in the Covid-19 ward in your local hospital... :mask:
Underneath my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Mike wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020, 1:04 pm

Where does it say display flying?. The wording, at the moment, is 'Flying' as in arrivals and practice and 'Sunset Flypast' as in flypast not display.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

BobL

Post by BobL »

2m social distancing markers for queuing, ticket scanning and entry points, with additional entry points with more staff to support safe entry onto the showground
2m social distancing makers for safe queuing when visiting catering stalls, stands and IWM cafes
2m social distancing markers in marquee shops and trading stands
2m social distancing markers and suggested routes in hangars, exhibitions and halls to manage the flow of visitors within inside spaces.
Where we cannot guarantee a safe route around our museum, or enough space on the showground to ensure social distancing, we will close the offer.
Visitors are required to observe suitable social distancing measures as a condition of entry. Those who do not will be removed so that we meet necessary health and safety standards for staff and visitors.
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Will there be 2m social distancing markers for the crowd line to ensure visitors remain safely separated?
So the ~1.2km available length of the fence will be divided into a line of 2m squares? That's 600 squares - wonder if they will be sold as premium spots?...

In a Maze

Post by In a Maze »

Will there be 2 metres distancing in the loos!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

And the crowd line.

DfG on Facebook

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020, 2:51 pm
And the crowd line.
assuming people stick to that. how are they going to manage it? are they going to have people watching every single person in the crowd to ensure they don't move? a phone line to grass up people standing together? they can barely manage the car parks at times so this is going to be disaster

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I'm optimistic. I really hope it goes ahead and will be getting tickets. I'll probably watch the display from my car - which is what I tend to do at Duxford in general.

The risk of infection is going to be similar to visiting the shops or going to work, and the benefit of an event like this once or twice a year is - for me - worth the risk. Obviously nobody is going to be compelled to go, and as with all large scale events, at any time, there is an element of risk involved. I'm very happy to take it and wish IWM the very best of luck in organising the whole thing.

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

There is also a 'Flightline experience' for Friday so maybe arrivals/practice day is Thursday?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

On the ticket booking page, flightline experience tickets (Not available on the day) are only available for Saturday/Sunday, nothing for Friday.

DfG on Facebook

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

I bought my Tickets though the IWM member website this afternoon and purchased a Flightline Experience ticket for the Friday
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I just wonder if the shuttle bus from Cambridge station will still be available.

BobL

Post by BobL »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020, 8:29 pm
I just wonder if the shuttle bus from Cambridge station will still be available.
Most if not all are single decker buses - if the service enforces 2m distancing for passengers other operators are stating they can only carry 10% of their full capacity - that is 3 to 5 passengers per journey.
Better be prepared for really long queues at the station...

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Says on website after checking there will be one. I'll be there for 7:30am as that's when train gets into Cambridge. Last time I was at Duxford, no queues for bus at all and only a handful on it at that time at that time of the morning.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

8674planes wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020, 7:22 pm
I bought my Tickets though the IWM member website this afternoon and purchased a Flightline Experience ticket for the Friday
I should have read the-mail properly. Friday tickets only available to IWM Members until the 21st May and if any spaces left, then offered to the public. Also heard that this will be the norm for future air shows next year. The Museum are going to make Friday's arrivals and practice an 'Event Day', ticket only, and charge Members for it as well.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I hope it goes ahead I really do for everyone wanting to attend however I have strong doubts that it will, it isn’t just about social distancing.

Andy

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

In a Maze wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020, 2:47 pm
I can't hit the target from that far out :rofl: :rofl:
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

duxfordhawk wrote:
Fri 15 May 2020, 8:27 am
In a Maze wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020, 2:47 pm
I can't hit the target from that far out :rofl: :rofl:
Our aim is to keep this toilet clean,your aim will help! :smiley: :smiley:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

So not an air show on Friday, 40 minutes or of showcase flying.
Join us on Friday 18 September for a day filled with entertainment and showcase flying,
Storytelling Flying Displays
Telling the story of the Battle of Britain, our special Friday flying creates two perfect displays. The first display tells the story of the training of the Few and focusing on the build up to the Battle of Britain.

Sunset Flypasts
As day turns to dusk, sunset flypasts and twilight displays will introduce the Proms, creating an evening to remember. The perfect start to the 80th anniversary Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show weekend at IWM Duxford.
IWM Web

Brian

DfG on Facebook

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Fri 15 May 2020, 5:15 am
8674planes wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020, 7:22 pm
The Museum are going to make Friday's arrivals and practice an 'Event Day', ticket only, and charge Members for it as well.

Brian
They tried that a few years ago, went down like a lead balloon.