1200- Doors Open
1530-1700- showcase flying
1800-1900- Show Case Flying
1900-2100- Proms Entertainment
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford Shows: 2020

Post by Pen Pusher »

I think the police might have something to say about cars parking on the M11/A505 until the doors open.
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Bought my tickets this evening for all three days. Lets see if it goes ahead... Friday night sounds pants - I was hoping for more of an orchestral thing, similar to the Shuttleworth proms, but with the 'D-Day Darlings' and 'Flyboys' I think it'll be a screechy karaoke affair - nevertheless, happy to pay for a few movements during the day and hopefully a small amount of decent flying in the evening.

At this stage, i'm just happy to look forward to any kind of outdoor event - let alone one involving aviation!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

It's a bit of a bun fight getting out of Duxford car parks in daylight. It would be worth going on the Friday just to see the fun in the dark. :grimacing:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i haven't decided whether to go or not yet. not gonna lie the Friday holds no appeal to me if it's just a couple of groups singing old war songs

BobL

Post by BobL »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Fri 22 May 2020, 6:45 am
It's a bit of a bun fight getting out of Duxford car parks in daylight. It woul :laughing: :laughing: d be worth going on the Friday just to see the fun in the dark.

Brian
No problem for you motorbikers though? :wink:
:laughing:
Underneath my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Bah, I should be boarding my flight right now to go to the show :(

neilos

Post by neilos »

rockfordstone wrote:
Fri 22 May 2020, 7:47 am
i haven't decided whether to go or not yet. not gonna lie the Friday holds no appeal to me if it's just a couple of groups singing old war songs
If it’ll be anything like their previous ‘Flying Proms’ events they use to hold several years ago, it should be quite good.

timuss

Post by timuss »

I should be at my hotel in Cambridge right now ready for a weekend at Duxford :cry:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

R4118

Post by R4118 »

Would like to go. But the 14day quarantaine rule makes it impossible, as I come from Belgium. Can't come to the UK 2 weeks in advance of the airshow, to self isolate in a hotel, in order to visit the show. Highly impractical. Maybe it will change by then; we'll have to wait and see.

First time in more than 20 years that I won't have been to an airshow in the UK.

I will give La Ferté-Alais a shot I think. Of course depending on the global state of the world……

PS
Stay at home (or in your neighbourhood, or within a 300mile radius) and stay save.
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

The public Grandstand has been removed for 2020
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR DUXFORD BATTLE OF BRITAIN AIRSHOW GRANDSTAND TICKET
The 80th anniversary Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show is still expected to go ahead on Saturday 19 & Sunday 20 September.

We welcome millions of visitors to our museums and historic sites every year. The wellbeing of our visitors, staff and volunteers will always be our top priority.

After careful consideration, taking into account government guidelines on social distancing, we have taken the decision to remove the Grandstand Experience from this year’s event. We will refund your Grandstand Experience ticket, while your Air Show ticket will remain valid and can be used on the day..

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I'm in two minds about trying for this one. I wonder if it's going to be worth the hassle.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

G-CVIX wrote:
Thu 18 Jun 2020, 6:48 am
I'm in two minds about trying for this one. I wonder if it's going to be worth the hassle.
that's my thought process. even if it does go ahead, which I still don't think it will, what's going to come?

Mike

Post by Mike »

rockfordstone wrote:
Fri 19 Jun 2020, 1:35 pm
...even if it does go ahead, which I still don't think it will, what's going to come?
Spitfires. Lots and lots of Spitfires. Probably some Hurricanes and Buchons too.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Look at it another way. Duxford depends on visitor revenue from all sources to be the attraction it is.
Make an effort to go, put some money into the museum and even if it is "just a few warbirds" it will help the 2021 shows go ahead (and a few of the staff keep their jobs.)
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Even if its a reduced show with a few hours flying I will be there. its a 400+ mile trip for me just to get there. I'm just happy to be able to get away for a weekend.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Fri 19 Jun 2020, 7:52 pm
Even if its a reduced show with a few hours flying I will be there. its a 400+ mile trip for me just to get there. I'm just happy to be able to get away for a weekend.
If it goes to plan I will be on the desk at the Gold membership - drop by and say hello.
Iain
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

jl151080

Post by jl151080 »

I bought my tickets months ago, so it will be interesting to see how it all pans out and how social distancing is dealt with.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

iainpeden wrote:
Fri 19 Jun 2020, 5:53 pm
Look at it another way. Duxford depends on visitor revenue from all sources to be the attraction it is.
Make an effort to go, put some money into the museum and even if it is "just a few warbirds" it will help the 2021 shows go ahead (and a few of the staff keep their jobs.)
This is a fair point, and with that in mind I'd certainly donate or make an online purchase if I decide not to go. I would buy tickets regardless but I wouldn't want to take tickets away from those who decide to attend.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Here's hoping things significantly change for the better when this 2 metre rule is addressed later this week. Not just this but for everything...
...Rad shutters auto.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

In a normal airshow season, when would announcements begin for Duxford's September show? I would assume after Legends?

Anyway, Catalina is self confirmed. However, this was probably post-lockdown and cancellation of most shows.

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Sat 27 Jun 2020, 5:32 pm
In a normal airshow season, when would announcements begin for Duxford's September show? I would assume after Legends?

Anyway, Catalina is self confirmed. However, this was probably post-lockdown and cancellation of most shows.
At the moment as long as it`s got wings ( or rotors ) and flies I`ll go.

Mike

Post by Mike »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Sat 27 Jun 2020, 5:32 pm

This season is anything other than normal. The size of the crowd for the September show will be severely limited in numbers, which means that the income from the show will be much lower than in ‘a normal airshow season’. Therefore it stands to reason that there will be much less money available to buy in participating acts. I would not be at all surprised to see that this show consists mainly of Duxford-based aircraft that provide a certain number of display slots to the airfield owners each season as payback for hangarage. There is also the issue of whether some aircraft will fly at all this year, for example Sally B’s operators have already said that they’ll be sitting 2020 out.

The museum have yet to announce when they will reopen, let alone what will be displaying at an airshow for which the government has yet to say can even happen, and if so, under what restrictions. If it does take place it will be the only major airshow in the UK in 2020.

So I guess we’ll just have to be grateful if we see any displays this year without worrying too much about what might or might not be attending. With the Battle of Britain 80th anniversary taking place this year, and various Spitfires, Hurricanes and Buchons being based at Duxford, it doesn’t take much imagination to guess what form the airshow is likely to take.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Flying list 'SO FAR' for the BoB show.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/duxford ... lying-list

DfG on Facebook

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Nice start :) Good to see the Sea Fury on the list.