Duxford Shows: 2020

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Mike

Re: Duxford Shows: 2020

Post by Mike »

keithjs wrote:
Wed 29 Apr 2020, 6:52 pm
I can't honestly see 10,000+ people being made to keep 2 meters apart on the airfield...? :dunno:
Capacity crowd is about 24,000 for the big Duxford shows.

Can anyone honestly see this being allowed to go ahead?

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

My point exactly, but I honestly didn't think it was as many as that? :dunno: Especially as the current thinking appears to be these restrictions will stay in place for the rest of the year? Why drag it out..? :dunno:
Only time will tell I suppose?
...Rad shutters auto.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Wed 29 Apr 2020, 6:22 pm
Basically, plan until you know for sure it can't go ahead. There is still a chance for it to happen, but the next month or so will be vital for how things go.
i'm sure this will be the logic, and given a lot of entries will be based at Duxford theres probably some sense in that,
that said, i suspect there will be a blanket ban on social gatherings of decent size for the rest of this year, it would be too big a risk of spread still.

Mike

Post by Mike »

My understanding is that they're planning on September being a 3-day show - makes sense as they normally sell out the big anniversary September shows with lots of Spitfires anyway, and all the infrastructure will be in place, so just tag on an extra day.

Still don't see it happening though

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

More likely making Friday arrivals day part of the show and costing more for entrance, and how many warbird operators are going to get their aircraft airworthy for just one show?

More likely taking money on advance tickets, generating interest, so when they have to pay it back they have a profit.

Government have already said large gatherings wont be permitted until a vaccine is available, and that's probably next year.

Brian
Last edited by Pen Pusher on Thu 30 Apr 2020, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Exactly, so why not just cancel it now rather than get peoples hopes up... :dunno:
...Rad shutters auto.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Thu 30 Apr 2020, 12:11 pm
More likely making Friday arrivals day part of the show and costing more for entrance...
My understanding is that the plan is for a full-blown 3-day airshow

BobL

Post by BobL »

And what's going to happen then? You book your 2m social distance square and remain in it for the duration of the day? Or will the crowd line be divided into a line one deep of 2m boxes and once they have all be 'allocated' no-one else will be allowed in?

With the indication of gradual reopening of businesses maybe going ahead, will there be queues all the way along the A505 in both directions as visitors maintain the 2m rule?

Are we going to risk a second outbreak just so an airshow can go ahead?...
Underneath my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

BobL wrote:
Fri 01 May 2020, 1:05 pm
And what's going to happen then? You book your 2m social distance square and remain in it for the duration of the day? Or will the crowd line be divided into a line one deep of 2m boxes and once they have all be 'allocated' no-one else will be allowed in?

With the indication of gradual reopening of businesses maybe going ahead, will there be queues all the way along the A505 in both directions as visitors maintain the 2m rule?

Are we going to risk a second outbreak just so an airshow can go ahead?...
Yep, I refer you to my point above. It really isn't viable surely?
...Rad shutters auto.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

There is a way of course :whistle:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

timuss

Post by timuss »

Just out of interest how long have anybody had to wait for refunds from Duxford. I had an email on the 22nd of April saying they had been sent to the finance department, and ive heard nothing more as yet.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Got my refund from Duxford at the start of the week.

BobL

Post by BobL »

timuss wrote:
Fri 01 May 2020, 10:01 pm
Just out of interest how long have anybody had to wait for refunds from Duxford. I had an email on the 22nd of April saying they had been sent to the finance department, and I've heard nothing more as yet.
I think all IWM departments are closed - they may have someone dealing with refunds but may be homeworking so it might take longer than usual...
Underneath my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

timuss

Post by timuss »

Yeah going to wait a bit longer before i email them i think.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Until a vaccine or cure is found any large outdoor event isn’t going to happen, it’s as simple as that, the very core of this pandemic is the fact that it’s easily transmissible with people in built up , confined spaces ,all it takes it a small ratio of attendees to have the virus to start a significant chain reaction and the golden “R” rate goes up again!

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Aardvark, do you speak with medical authority or just speculation ?
If you are then I assume you are planning to stay behind closed doors for some time, which means you will be expecting a large number of other people to continue working to keep you safe ?
If not then you are just promoting your own personal ideas.
Stay safe.

In a Maze

Post by In a Maze »

I have to say I thinking exactly the same as Aardvark, until theres a cure large public gatherings are out of the question. If you look at sport nobody is expecting spectators to be allowed for a long time. Start saving for summer 2021.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I have heard non commital ramblings from politicians and scientists alike suggesting that the virus is harder to transmit outdoors and that outdoor events may pose less of a risk - so who knows. Some people believe the infection rate is so much higher than previously thought that with a lot of luck the virus may 'burn out' in the UK. Lets see. I remain very hopeful - but i'm an irrational optimist.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I'm guessing tomorrow is going to be the day we find out somewhat if Duxford goes ahead or not in September. Government is going to lay out a road-map on the way forward.

If their roadmap does not have a return to normal/allowing large events before end of September it will be game over for 2020 I think.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Looks like it is a very possible no go for September. Duxford would probably fall under same category of sporting event crowds (mass gatherings)

Last edited by jasonT1981 on Mon 11 May 2020, 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

On the contrary.. Raab suggested this morning that pubs, restaurants, cafes and hairdressers would be considered for re-opening from July 4th. Wouldn't take that chart as gospel.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

FlankerPhoto wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 12:36 pm
On the contrary.. Raab suggested this morning that pubs, restaurants, cafes and hairdressers would be considered for re-opening from July 4th. Wouldn't take that chart as gospel.
It now seems that Raab was expunging air through his lower cheeks :rolling_eyes:

Andy :slight_smile:

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Cancelling Duxford Air Festival & Flying Legends last month disappointed the IWM Team as much as air show fans. We're still planning for an amazing 80th Anniversary Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show, capping numbers to protect the safety of visitors, volunteers and staff.
And so our bumper commemoration will now include an additional day to remember on Friday 18 September – Duxford Battle of Britain Proms. IWM Members will have priority ticket access from Thursday 14 May, 7 days before general release.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

FlankerPhoto wrote:
Wed 13 May 2020, 3:12 pm
Cancelling Duxford Air Festival & Flying Legends last month disappointed the IWM Team as much as air show fans. We're still planning for an amazing 80th Anniversary Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show, capping numbers to protect the safety of visitors, volunteers and staff.
And so our bumper commemoration will now include an additional day to remember on Friday 18 September – Duxford Battle of Britain Proms. IWM Members will have priority ticket access from Thursday 14 May, 7 days before general release.
i just can't see how they can manage this safely in the current climate. given we may not open social gatherings of small scale until july and we don't even know when we can see our families, how is september all of a sudden going to be achieveable?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

I wont be going. My health is more important to me that watching a few aeroplanes I've seen flying before, fly.

Besides with back to work day today, in two weeks we'll be in strict lockdown again as the death rate rises.

DfG on Facebook