IWM Flying Festival

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Tom105

IWM Flying Festival

Post by Tom105 »

23rd and 24th May
Last year the line up wasn't great but the start today isn'y shabby at all!
Wingwalkers
Little and Large
Ultimate Fighters :yahoo:
Stichting Fokker Four :yahoo:
Whirlwind and Wessex! :yahoo: :yahoo:
Thomas

DaveBr

Re: IWM Flying Festival

Post by DaveBr »

I've been pretty down on this show for the last couple of years and after last year vowed to stop buying tickets in advance of a full flying list.

This is a decent start though and the Ultimate Fighters and the Historic Helicopters (which I haven't seen yet) count as star items for me.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Nice start, had hoped to see the Ultimate Warbirds and the Wingwalkers. Helicopters are a nice addition too. Had never heard of the Stichting Fokker Four but its another new display for me so thats great :)

Very nice start.

timuss

Post by timuss »

Yeah nice start one to keep an eye on for sure, ive yet to see the Wessex and Whirlwind so these and the Ultimate Fighters are very appealing.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Fokker four have been around for ages but don't recall them ever coming to the UK before.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Chris G wrote:Fokker four have been around for ages but don't recall them ever coming to the UK before.

They were at Old Warden in 1981

st24

Post by st24 »

Chris G wrote:Fokker four have been around for ages but don't recall them ever coming to the UK before.

I seem to recall them gaining the official Fokker Four name in '82 but had been displaying as such for many years prior to that. As Mike says they have been to OW and I think a couple of other events so a good, out of the box pull. Rare, seldom seen machines in pukka schemes displaying - what's not to like?!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

DirtyFokker

Post by DirtyFokker »

Tom105 wrote:23rd and 24th May
Little and Large

Are they coming out of retirement just for the IWM show?

:heyhey:

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Czech gripen plus alcas added :yahoo:
Blades
B17
Catalina
Wasp
N3200
501 hurricane
One of the best line ups I've seen at Duxford spring show for a long time
Last edited by Tom105 on Fri 21 Feb 2020, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Blimey, wasn't expecting that! :clap:

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Wooooo what an update!

Strikemaster pairs also added
Last edited by jasonT1981 on Fri 21 Feb 2020, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Very tidy! The Czechs are a great catch. Now let's get the Hind and Hip for September. :whistle:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Blimey!

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

If Duxford can secure Patrouille De France/Rafale and the Typhoon I will be returning. (I said I wouldn't be after last years disaster)

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

What was wrong with last years? I really enjoyed it. Granted it was my first ever trip to Duxford so didn't know what to expect.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Yeah I enjoyed last year as well. The participation had a bit of a bashing, but I thought it was pretty reasonable all things considered.

I'm only disappointed at no weekend tickets for this year, but I can cope with the cost given the Wessex and the Czechs! :smile:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Over hyped PR, line up was pretty basic, weather was pants (can't be helped), loads of things on show that had nothing to do with it being an airshow, horrendously packed. I ended up leaving half way through. It looks like they're working on improving this year!

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

It’s disappointing that they no longer offer the 2 day ticket option which was a good insurance policy against the weather. Sadly, It looks like yet another manifestation of the IWM’s money grasping mentality.

Andy

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Blackbird wrote:It’s disappointing that they no longer offer the 2 day ticket option which was a good insurance policy against the weather. Sadly, It looks like yet another manifestation of the IWM’s money grasping mentality.

Andy

does feel like a money grab. even as a premium member it's going to cost about 70 (including parking) quid for the weekend. The Gripen is good but at the moment it's not enough to get me to spend my money

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Blackbird wrote:It’s disappointing that they no longer offer the 2 day ticket option which was a good insurance policy against the weather. Sadly, It looks like yet another manifestation of the IWM’s money grasping mentality.

Andy

I did ask what happened to the 2 day weekend ticket option. The response I got was there was issues scanning weekend tickets over multiple days. Never had a problem with mine, but there you go. I was disappointed there was no weekend ticket either.

Airshowhammer wrote:Over hyped PR, line up was pretty basic, weather was pants (can't be helped), loads of things on show that had nothing to do with it being an airshow, horrendously packed. I ended up leaving half way through. It looks like they're working on improving this year!

Were you there Sunday only? It was absolutely beautiful on the Saturday and not a cloud in the sky. Sunday got hit with quite a few showers and gray clouds all day.

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Absolutely awesome looking line-up... If Coronavirus causes a cancellation i'm going to train in microbiology and destroy the virus myself! :mad:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Ticket booked. Great news. Come on Rafale and PDF!

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Another self confirm - The Stampe Formation Team flying 3 or 4 Stampe-Vertongen SV.4

https://stampe-formation-team.co.uk/events.php

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Does seem like the IWM have listened to last years criticism of the participation list. Shaping up well. :clap: