Battle of Britain Airshow 2020 - Cancelled

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Downes0106

Re: Battle of Britain Airshow 2020 - 18th-20th September.

Post by Downes0106 »

Spotty_Jag wrote:
Fri 28 Aug 2020, 9:01 pm
I sincerely hope that the IWM management have put a lot of thought and effort into making the airshow "COVID Secure" and introducing measures to make social distancing manageable along the crowdline. It's all well and good creating the extra space and limiting ticket number but that's simply lip service unless proper control measures are put in place along the crowdline to manage visitors.
Perhaps those attending should be expected to take some responsibility for their own actions, it shouldnt just be down to the organisers. Unfortunately people (not all, but certainly too many) dont have any respect for others, nor acceptance of just how serious Covid-19 can be, and thats why i have chosen not to attend.
Scott

Canon EOS7D, with 30D Back-up
Canon 100-400MM IS, 70-200MM plus some wide-angle/macro stuff

Lightningkid70

Post by Lightningkid70 »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Sun 23 Aug 2020, 4:15 pm
Friday display looks a bit better to me than the Saturday and Sunday displays so far, though I assume (And hope) more will be added soon.
Friday

Flying Display - Spitfires

Spitfire Mk.Ia N3200
Spitfire Mk.Ia X4650
Spitfire Mk.Ia AR213
Spitfire T9 PT462
Spitfire T9 PV202
Spitfire Mk.PRXI PL983
Spitfire Mk.Vc JG891

Other Aircraft

RAF Red Arrows 3PM
RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Spitfires, Hurricanes and Lancaster (Dowding formation?)
The Blades
Fireflies Aerobatic Display Team
North American Harvard Mk.IV ‘Taz’
P-51D 'Miss Helen'
P-51D Mustang 'Warhorse'
Strikemaster Pair
Great War Display Team
AeroSuperBatics Wingwalkers
De Havilland DH-9 E8894
Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina
Tiger 9
Do you mind me asking where you found that list? Can't stand that unfriendly IWM website, just wanted to see a list for Saturday.
Cheers mate!

Martin

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Got it from their website. You do have to click through a few links for it. I agree, its not a very friendly website.

Here is Sat/Sun flying list - https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/duxford ... lying-list

And here is the Proms Friday flying list - https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/duxford ... lying-list

Lightningkid70

Post by Lightningkid70 »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Sun 30 Aug 2020, 4:33 pm
Got it from their website. You do have to click through a few links for it. I agree, its not a very friendly website.

Here is Sat/Sun flying list - https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/duxford ... lying-list

And here is the Proms Friday flying list - https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/duxford ... lying-list
Cheers mate! :-)
Can't understand why they don't just show a typed list instead of those photos, just like in the olden days when we all knew what planes looked like & if one didn't know, you'd go to the library or refer to your Observers book! Nowerdays we have tinternet to look things up!
Gawd I sound old! :laughing:

Martin

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Downes0106 wrote:
Sat 29 Aug 2020, 4:42 pm
Spotty_Jag wrote:
I sincerely hope that the IWM management have put a lot of thought and effort into making the airshow "COVID Secure" and introducing measures to make social distancing manageable along the crowdline. It's all well and good creating the extra space and limiting ticket number but that's simply lip service unless proper control measures are put in place along the crowdline to manage visitors.
Perhaps those attending should be expected to take some responsibility for their own actions, it shouldnt just be down to the organisers. Unfortunately people (not all, but certainly too many) dont have any respect for others, nor acceptance of just how serious Covid-19 can be, and thats why i have chosen not to attend.
you are correct in people should take their own precautions. i think the biggest issue will be what the government consider a mass gathering. i'm not sure whether gatherings of 15,000 people (not including staff and "social distancing champions") could class as not being a mass gathering.

i have a ticket but i'm on the fence to be honest. i can't help but feel if they had been given the offical go-ahead by PHE or otherwise that their media team would be crowing about it by now

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

rockfordstone wrote:
Tue 01 Sep 2020, 11:11 am
Downes0106 wrote:
Sat 29 Aug 2020, 4:42 pm
Spotty_Jag wrote:
you are correct in people should take their own precautions. i think the biggest issue will be what the government consider a mass gathering. i'm not sure whether gatherings of 15,000 people (not including staff and "social distancing champions") could class as not being a mass gathering.

i have a ticket but i'm on the fence to be honest. i can't help but feel if they had been given the offical go-ahead by PHE or otherwise that their media team would be crowing about it by now
From https://t.co/27bZu0FPl9
Phil Hood, Air Show Event Manager, IWM says: “We’ve been working tirelessly with the local authorities to ensure that we have all the measures in place to make this event COVID-secure and prioritise the safety of visitors, staff and volunteers. We encourage those attending to read our COVID-19 Response Page on our website which outlines all the operational measures in place including test and trace procedures, mandatory mask-wearing when indoors, the appointment of a designated Social Distance team and thorough cleaning in all areas.

elterwater

Post by elterwater »

rockfordstone wrote:
Tue 01 Sep 2020, 11:11 am
It's no different to a theme park, a zoo or a museum being open with ticket holders being spread across their sites. The idea behind the mass gatherings is to discourage large social gatherings of people who all know each other in some fashion and are likely to mingle in close quarters, not many thousands of people spread across an airfield.

Mike

Post by Mike »

I would urge those who would like to attend but are worried about social distancing to consider getting a ticket for Friday. The flying programme looks better than the weekend at the moment, and I understand that the crowd numbers are likely to be significantly lower than for the Saturday and Sunday.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Just booked a Friday Gold ticket.

Press release from IWM mentioned Hurricanes and Spitfires in a dog fight with a Buchon

https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2020/09/ai ... 8zK5tAEd3A
Last edited by jasonT1981 on Tue 01 Sep 2020, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Post by Mike »

It mentions *a* Buchón.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Whoops, fixed.

There is still more to be added to the Saturday and Sunday display quite soon but the Friday line-up on website is the finalised line-up

rutley

Post by rutley »

To those asking the question about how the IWM got permission to hold the airshow, Government guidelines allow it happen. The guidelines state that "with the exception of large sporting events, guidelines allow for outdoor events to take place that are organised by charitable organisations provided they can take all reasonable steps to mitigate viral transmission in line with Covid 19 guidelines.This includes social distancing between different households or support bubbles and between those working at events and customers at events."That is the key to it all. Please read the IWM's small print as well, as it now states that if the weather is bad, they will close all the hangers to stop people taking shelter and bunching up. Enjoy!

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

rutley wrote:
Wed 02 Sep 2020, 1:07 pm
To those asking the question about how the IWM got permission to hold the airshow, Government guidelines allow it happen. The guidelines state that "with the exception of large sporting events, guidelines allow for outdoor events to take place that are organised by charitable organisations provided they can take all reasonable steps to mitigate viral transmission in line with Covid 19 guidelines.This includes social distancing between different households or support bubbles and between those working at events and customers at events."That is the key to it all. Please read the IWM's small print as well, as it now states that if the weather is bad, they will close all the hangers to stop people taking shelter and bunching up. Enjoy!
IF the weather is bad. It's bound to be. Biggest air show of the year so no doubt it will piss it down haha

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

5 Spitfires, 4 Hurricanes, a Buchon, Catalina, 3rd P51 Mustang, Fireflys, Tiger 9 and another Harvard added for Saturday and Sunday.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/duxford ... lying-list

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Moving the crowd barriers forward for the show.
L4091/20: Duxford: Apron closed
Q) EGTT/QMNLC/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5205N00008E005
WESTERN APRON CLOSED
FROM: 09 Sep 2020 07:00 GMT (08:00 BST) TO: 21 Sep 2020 17:00 GMT (18:00 BST)

L4092/20: Duxford: Apron limitation
Q) EGTT/QMNLT/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5205N00008E005
EASTERN APRON REDUCED IN SIZE DUE TO PARTIAL CLOSURE
FROM: 09 Sep 2020 07:00 GMT (08:00 BST) TO: 21 Sep 2020 17:00 GMT (18:00 BST)
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Show has officially got 100% go ahead from Public Health England today.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Fri 28 Aug 2020, 2:03 pm
rockfordstone wrote:
Fri 28 Aug 2020, 12:51 pm

I don't think any of the TFC stuff is serviced or has the approval to display this year so I suspect they are out.
And I also suspect they don't feel incentivised to do anything about that!
That's something I've been pondering myself, we may not only have lost legends at Duxford but also the TFC fleet displaying at the Duxford shows. Would be a great shame and I really hope things are not so bad between TFC and IWM that we will still see them at the Duxford events.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Gt5500 wrote:
Thu 03 Sep 2020, 12:55 pm
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Fri 28 Aug 2020, 2:03 pm
rockfordstone wrote:
Fri 28 Aug 2020, 12:51 pm

I don't think any of the TFC stuff is serviced or has the approval to display this year so I suspect they are out.
And I also suspect they don't feel incentivised to do anything about that!
That's something I've been pondering myself, we may not only have lost legends at Duxford but also the TFC fleet displaying at the Duxford shows. Would be a great shame and I really hope things are not so bad between TFC and IWM that we will still see them at the Duxford events.
i don't think that's the case, i think it's more that they didn't complete winter servicing because of lockdown and because Legends was cancelled and this show has been touch and go until now really they just didn't see the value in getting all the planes ready for a single show which may or may not have happened.

that's what i've been told anyway. i understand the Legends argument was about money (on both sides) and not the working relationship between the 2 parties

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Blenheim won't be flying. Too expensive to run for just this one show.
There is a long standing agreement between the IWM and the companies on site that they will fly aircraft at IWM organised air shows, it's just that the Blenheim is a very expensive aircraft to maintain and fly and it is just not financially viable on this occasion

Mike

Post by Mike »

It was also booked for Melun (along with the Lysander) so I guess when that was cancelled it made it unviable to get the Blenheim up and running and insured and practice displays flown for just a single event.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

rutley wrote:
Wed 02 Sep 2020, 1:07 pm
Please read the IWM's small print as well, as it now states that if the weather is bad, they will close all the hangers to stop people taking shelter and bunching up. Enjoy!
Their email says something slightly different. Hangars will be closed when they reach capacity. Not closed altogether if raining.
As with all our air shows, there’s one thing we can’t control and that is the weather, so please be prepared for all the elements! The air show and proms are outdoor experiences and, in the event of adverse weather conditions, all indoor spaces across the site will be closed when they reach capacity so please come prepared for all weather conditions.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Some timings for the weekend of the show

Friday
15:00 The Red Arrows
15:00-17:00 Showcase flying
18:00 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight
18:00- 19:30 Showcase flying
19:00: Start of Proms
21:00 Finish
Saturday and Sunday
13:00 The Red Arrows
15:00 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight
16:45 Duxford Spitfire Flypast
18:00 Finish
https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/duxford ... n-your-day

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

The Great War Display Team have been removed from the Flying participation list. Not surprising concidering the circumstances
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Two days running, new Covid infections at around 3000 per day. Wondering if anyone is reconsidering going?
I am having to take a long hard look at this, as I have a busy week with Guests following on from the Tuesday after...

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Pat Murphy wrote:
Tue 08 Sep 2020, 8:56 am
Two days running, new Covid infections at around 3000 per day. Wondering if anyone is reconsidering going?
I am having to take a long hard look at this, as I have a busy week with Guests following on from the Tuesday after...
I read this morning that the government are contemplating reducing weddings and funeral gatherings etc down to as little as 6 people again because of the sharp rise so will be interesting to see what knock on effect that has