Battle of Britain Airshow 2020 - Cancelled

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
SEMAE

Re: Battle of Britain Airshow 2020 - 18th-20th September.

Post by SEMAE »

Jumping the gun.

There is nothing in the briefing stating all outdoor gatherings are banned. It states that hospitality venues can still go ahead as an exemption in a covid secure enviroment but you cannot mix in a group of any more of six within it, be that your family or support bubble, inside or outside.

So Duxford can still have 13k crowd so long as mixing in groups is limited to 6.

Having said that, if the situations re covid figures jumps even more dramatically in the next few days, it could still be cancelled nearer the time but not as a result of the situation at this very moment.

Any outdoor event that has had a refusal or is allowed to go ahead will be based on on whether the event has met covid mitigation guidelines.

Martin Eames

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

From IWM FB page

Dear all,

We appreciate that many of you have expressed concerns following the latest government advice on social gatherings. Please be assured that we are in communication with the relevant authorities to understand how the latest announcement will impact the Duxford Battle of Britain Proms and the Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show.

Our expectation at present is that these are able to go ahead but as soon as we have all the information we will update you via our social media channels and website so we ask that you continue to check these so you can keep up to date with the latest news.

We would like to thank you for your continued support during this unpredictable time.

blackfive460

Post by blackfive460 »

keithjs wrote:
Wed 09 Sep 2020, 1:10 pm

So what about all those poor people that are there today then that are going to be infecting each other? Surely they should have cancelled today's meeting too as the same infection rates will still apply whatever the day of the week surely?
From watching the TV coverage from Doncaster this afternoon, bearing in mind that the racecourse's attendances often top 30,000 and there were less than 3,000 in attendance today I'd say that there would be more risk from a supermarket visit or a ride on a bus or train.
North East coast beaches have looked far busier than Doncaster racecourse did today.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

SEMAE wrote:
Wed 09 Sep 2020, 3:26 pm

So Duxford can still have 13k crowd so long as mixing in groups is limited to 6.

BBC website: Johnson, speaking at a Downing Street news conference, also said pilot events in September would be restricted to 1,000 fans with social distancing measures in place.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Presume the straw clutchers on here are ticket holders? Who will seriously want to mix with 14999 others at DX in 10 days? Not I. And I love airshows.

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

UKTopgun wrote:
Wed 09 Sep 2020, 5:16 pm
Presume the straw clutchers on here are ticket holders? Who will seriously want to mix with 14999 others at DX in 10 days? Not I. And I love airshows.
Nobody is clutching at straws but people are still jumping the gun. If Duxford does not go ahead, the tickets will almost certainly be held over to next year or refunded.

As far as I am aware, neither the previous four Old Warden shows were 'pilot events' and neither is the Duxford display. The pilot events mostly refer to sporting spectator events. Nobody knows at the moment know for sure if the Duxford show will go ahead (perhaps with all the hangars closed) or not.

From a purely selfish point of view, if a show does not go ahead, then there is nothing I am going to miss. if it ends up being cancelled, there are plenty of other things I can do instead.

I do not have a problem in being at a location where there are 13k people in a crowd as I will not be mixing with any of them, not even six. I am very happy standing back from the front of the crowd on my own to ensure my own safety.

However if the figures for the number of new infections go up by another dramatic jump in the next few days, then I will very much doubt the show will go ahead.

We will all know for sure in a few days.

Martin Eames

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Fair play if you can hold it in all day, impressed. You simply can't attend this sort of event and guarantee no human comes within 2m of you.
What if a young child runs towards you, do you sprint away from them?
Anyway, good luck to those who go if it is still on.

elterwater

Post by elterwater »

UKTopgun wrote:
Wed 09 Sep 2020, 6:59 pm
The same as I'd do in a supermarket or in the street, avoid them as best I can without one of us falling over and get on with life?

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

blackfive460 wrote:
Wed 09 Sep 2020, 4:18 pm
keithjs wrote:
Wed 09 Sep 2020, 1:10 pm

So what about all those poor people that are there today then that are going to be infecting each other? Surely they should have cancelled today's meeting too as the same infection rates will still apply whatever the day of the week surely?
From watching the TV coverage from Doncaster this afternoon, bearing in mind that the racecourse's attendances often top 30,000 and there were less than 3,000 in attendance today I'd say that there would be more risk from a supermarket visit or a ride on a bus or train.
North East coast beaches have looked far busier than Doncaster racecourse did today.
The racecourse have now been told to stop people attending from Thursday onwards.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

elterwater wrote:
Wed 09 Sep 2020, 7:11 pm
UKTopgun wrote:
Wed 09 Sep 2020, 6:59 pm
The same as I'd do in a supermarket or in the street, avoid them as best I can without one of us falling over and get on with life?
Minor difference being the 15k people in a relatively small area

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Just curious, and I must be missing something somewhere, but, how will todays
new ruling regarding NMT 6 in a group instead of up to 30 affect Duxfords (IWM) decision to go ahead (or not) when they were going ahead anyway when the ruling was with 30...In the grand scheme of things how is 13,970 people different from 13,994....? Hope I've explained what I mean OK...but you get the gist...(I hope)?
...Rad shutters auto.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

keithjs wrote:
Wed 09 Sep 2020, 8:07 pm
new ruling regarding NMT 6 in a group instead of up to 30 affect Duxfords (IWM) decision to go ahead (or not) when they were going ahead anyway when the ruling was with 30...In the grand scheme of things how is 13,970 people different from 13,994....? Hope I've explained what I mean OK...but you get the gist...(I hope)?
Just something that can't be explained. As Stated I'm in Manchester under local lockdown, it's not recommended that I leave the area, but it appears OK for someone living outside of Manchester to come into the City to work, go home to Cheshire or wherever and carry on as normal. How can that be right, or do they breath different air while in the city than I do.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Ticket sales MAY have been suspended. It is giving an error on the page
"Unfortunately your session may have timed out, or an error has occurred. Please use the button below and restart your booking."
However, it was also giving this yesterday at times when they added some Gold tickets to Saturday and Sunday

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

keithjs wrote:
Wed 09 Sep 2020, 8:07 pm
I get the impression - because nothing seems crystal clear - but, it seems that the only difference to an event like this is that more than six in total, eg. two families, can't arrange to meet at the show, and spend it un-distanced. Basically, the social distancing rules apply. Which is exactly the same as pre-announcement, if you are in a group of six or less. I just can't see how it renders this event untenable, with respect to rules and regulations.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I've worked nigh on every day during the outbreak. I manage transport for a company that delivers food to hospitals, schools, care homes, and the hospitality trade, in Cornwall.

Now, I guarantee I am going to be safer at Duxford than I have been in the town I live in Cornwall for the past 6-8 weeks. I have NEVER struggled to find my own space at an airshow, so long as I don't try and cram myself in on the fence.

Will I go? Probably not, but more so because it's a long way to drive for not a great deal of aircraft, than because I think I'm going to be at any higher risk than I am every day down here.

blackfive460

Post by blackfive460 »

IP1960 wrote:
Wed 09 Sep 2020, 7:32 pm

The racecourse have now been told to stop people attending from Thursday onwards.
Yes, but by the director of Public Health for Doncaster following pressure from the risk averse Local Authority, not because of any new national restrictions.

Dragging the thread back on topic; I suppose the same thing could happen at Duxford if a local authority decided they weren't happy with an influx of visitors...

elterwater

Post by elterwater »

According to the BBC Look east news bulletin, Duxford will make an announcement on Friday morning....

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

Just occurred to me that whilst the open space at the show may not have implications re the new rules of six, it could affect the spectator enclosures so may have a bearing on whatever decision has been made and to be announced later in the morning.

Martin Eames

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

The International Boat show at Southampton now cancelled this morning and you can't get a lot more 'outdoors' than that!
...Rad shutters auto.

ozplane

Post by ozplane »

The late news on BBC East said there would be an announcement "today" Friday.

ozplane

Post by ozplane »

Apologies,already posted.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

I still don't get what difference it will make if the limit was 30 people in a group and they were going ahead anyway with 13,070 more than that and its now 6. Surely a 24 person reduction among 14,000 is negligable to say the least... Will someone explain or am I missing the obvious?
Last edited by keithjs on Fri 11 Sep 2020, 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
...Rad shutters auto.

DirtyFokker

Post by DirtyFokker »

The International Boat show at Southampton was Covid Secure:
The show, due to take place from 11-20 September 2020, was set to open on Friday following extensive work in collaboration with Southampton City Council to ensure that the existing Public Health England Covid-19 secure requirements were met.
https://marineindustrynews.co.uk/shock- ... oats-2020/

:thinking:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

keithjs wrote:
Fri 11 Sep 2020, 9:30 am
I still don't get what difference it will make if the limit was 30 people in a group and they were going ahead anyway with 13,070 more than that and its now 6. Surely a 24 person reduction among 14,000 is negliable to say the least... Will someone explain or am I missing the obvoius?
There is no difference. The '6' limit is on un-social distanced gatherings. Outside, with social distancing, will be compliant. And that is how it will have been set up in the first place. The recent spate of cancellations seem more to do with local decisions on risk rather than government guidelines.

FlyingMachinesTV

Post by FlyingMachinesTV »

DirtyFokker wrote:
Fri 11 Sep 2020, 9:36 am
The International Boat show at Southampton was Covid Secure:
The show, due to take place from 11-20 September 2020, was set to open on Friday following extensive work in collaboration with Southampton City Council to ensure that the existing Public Health England Covid-19 secure requirements were met.
https://marineindustrynews.co.uk/shock- ... oats-2020/

:thinking:
I know one of the people responsible for Health & Safety and it was VERY Covid secure, the new restrictions don't directly affect the Duxford show but it will affect the local council's thinking around events. Now it's just a case of wait and see.