Post by Blackbird »

Me too☹️

keithjs

Re: Battle of Britain Airshow 2020 - Cancelled

Post by keithjs »

Blackbird wrote:
Sat 19 Sep 2020, 1:30 pm
Me too☹️
Hi Andrew, Did we not enjoy a coffee together in the AAM some years ago too?
...Rad shutters auto.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Yes indeed we did!! That must have been a few years ago now.

Andy

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Blackbird wrote:
Sat 19 Sep 2020, 1:38 pm
Yes indeed we did!! That must have been a few years ago now.

Andy
Yes it was and I can't actually remember why?
...Rad shutters auto.

MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Gt5500 wrote:
Fri 18 Sep 2020, 8:53 am

Snipped..........
What I think has happened (and this is speculation) is either the local authorities have pulled the plug due to the worry of all the outside visitors or the organisers have cancelled on moral grounds.
I think Duxford have followed government advice. As has been said in other posts, outdoor events can still take place but there can be no groups larger than six people. However, organisers of such events have to be able to ensure that groups of more than six people cannot form and groups do not mingle. Updated government advice was issued on 14th September which said

'There can be multiple groups of six people in a place, provided that those groups do not mingle. In practice, however, this will make it difficult for some activities to take place without breaking the law. Activities where there is a significant likelihood of groups of more than six mingling – and therefore breaking the law – should not take place until further COVID-19 Secure guidance has been developed and approved to enable the activity to happen safely'.

I suspect the organisers felt there was a 'significant likelihood of groups of more than six mingling' at the airshow.

jl151080

Post by jl151080 »

I'm still looking forward to 10 October - Showcase Day.

According to an interview with a Duxford staff member on the Planes TV Youtube live stream, it's still going ahead.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Let's hope it does happen but it is still a way off and we know lots can happen very quickly with the virus situation

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Has anyone who had a ticket for this event heard anything regarding a refund?

I selected the option that I would be interested in converting the money into IWM membership, but I don't appear to have had any response?

I can obviously give IWM a call, but was interested to hear of others' experience.

timuss

Post by timuss »

pb643 wrote:
Mon 12 Oct 2020, 10:14 am

I selected the option that I would be interested in converting the money into IWM membership, but I don't appear to have had any response?

I can obviously give IWM a call, but was interested to hear of others' experience.
It did take a while for the may and Legends refunds to get through.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

pb643

Post by pb643 »

timuss wrote:
Mon 12 Oct 2020, 11:27 am
pb643 wrote:

It did take a while for the may and Legends refunds to get through.
Thank you, I will give it a little longer.

Pilotstitch

Post by Pilotstitch »

pb643 wrote:

I had a call on Monday and did convert my tickets into membership. The chap I spoke to was very helpful but said they are rather busy trying to work their way through

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Obviously I don't have any refunds for September yet. Nor do I have membership cards for the Premium Membership I renewed in July. In both the previous 2 years I have not received membership cards until I have chased it up months after the event.

I appreciate they are "rather busy", but I don't have this sort of trouble with other similar organisations I have been a member of. It is not a good look for IWM, especially at a time when they are trying to attract supporters.

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

 by DaveBr » Wed 14 Oct 2020, 9:37 am

Obviously I don't have any refunds for September yet. Nor do I have membership cards for the Premium Membership I renewed in July. In both the previous 2 years I have not received membership cards until I have chased it up months after the event.
I can't believe that they are that far behind in issuing membership cards. I renewed mine at the end of June and I received my card mid August. I had a confirmation on renewal that I should receive my membership pack within two months and it was just inside the period. I think you will have to chase them again Dave.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

I chased them in September. I agree, I probably need to do it again. But why do I have to? I don't need to do this, year after year, for other organisations.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

DaveBr wrote:
Wed 14 Oct 2020, 8:37 am

I appreciate they are "rather busy", but I don't have this sort of trouble with other similar organisations I have been a member of. It is not a good look for IWM, especially at a time when they are trying to attract supporters.
In comparison Shuttleworth issued both refunds within 48 hours. I do appreciate that they were certainly dealing with much smaller numbers, but then I would assume they are a smaller organisation all around than IWM?

LinkGaz56

Post by LinkGaz56 »

DaveBr wrote:
Wed 14 Oct 2020, 8:37 am

I joined as a new member in July and had not received my membership card in September. I mailed them to check if they had sent one and I had not received it, they mailed back and said one would be sent. When I went to the experience day last Saturday on the off chance when leaving I mentioned it to the lady on the membership desk. She took my membership number, I had printed a conformation incase of issues when I arrived, looked me up on the system and printed me a card out. I can only assume that according to the system one had not been sent out, she was very helpful.
So far I have not received a re-fund for the Battle of Britain Show but I am assuming they have a lot to get though and process.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

I find it astonishing that an organisation like IWM would need to manually process refunds, I can't believe it is not an automated process.

Mike

Post by Mike »

There’s also the small matter of needing the liquid funds to pay out for around 30,000 tickets sold at £35 each. Say £1m in round figures.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Mike wrote:
Thu 15 Oct 2020, 12:05 pm
There’s also the small matter of needing the liquid funds to pay out for around 30,000 tickets sold at £35 each. Say £1m in round figures.
I was given to understand that tickets had been limited to 15,000, many of which would have been sold as "early bird" or to IWM members at a discount, so rather less than £1 million, but still a lot of money.

In a similar vein, I wonder how much (if any) they would refund to traders who intended to attend....
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Mike

Post by Mike »

phreakf4 wrote:
Thu 15 Oct 2020, 1:13 pm
I was given to understand that tickets had been limited to 15,000, many of which would have been sold as "early bird" or to IWM members at a discount, so rather less than £1 million, but still a lot of money.
15,000 a day for Saturday and Sunday and a lower number for Friday is my understanding. And the museum stated on social media that the weekend days were close to selling out. Then on top of that there's the Gold Passes, presold programmes and parking passes, corporate tents, traders, etc. I'd bet a month's salary that my number isn't far from the truth, probably on the low side if anything.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Mike wrote:
Thu 15 Oct 2020, 1:26 pm
phreakf4 wrote:
Thu 15 Oct 2020, 1:13 pm
15,000 a day for Saturday and Sunday and a lower number for Friday is my understanding. And the museum stated on social media that the weekend days were close to selling out. Then on top of that there's the Gold Passes, presold programmes and parking passes, corporate tents, traders, etc. I'd bet a month's salary that my number isn't far from the truth, probably on the low side if anything.
I stand corrected.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Mike wrote:
Thu 15 Oct 2020, 12:05 pm
Surely a good reason to promptly get in touch with those ticket holders who do not want their money back, before they change their mind?

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

when i got the email about refunds or putting it towards a membership i contacted IWM first.

my question was simply would it go towards my renewal due in december, and given i paid more for my tickets/parking than the value of membership would i get that in form of a refund (i was willing to take it as gift card or something to use on the site).

the response i got was "there is no mechanism to transfer the ticket price to a membership" so i'd need to process a refund.

i did that and then several days later i got an email saying "thank you for your interest in changing your ticket to membership, we will be in touch soon"

so i don't really know what is going on there

BobL

Post by BobL »

rockfordstone wrote:
Fri 16 Oct 2020, 9:19 am
so i don't really know what is going on there
Apparently you are not alone.... :thinking:
Underneath my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

austinp

Post by austinp »

Hi all.

Not wishing to sound like a broken record, but has anyone had a refund yet?

Cheers.