Flying Legends to cease at Duxford

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
DaveBr

Re: Flying Legends to cease at Duxford

Post by DaveBr »

Completely agree with R4118 and I only live 90 minutes away from Duxford.

Thinking about it over the last few days, the only reason I was at the May airshow in 2019 was some sense of misplaced loyalty and nostalgia for being at a Duxford airshow. I spent most of the time I was there angry, wondering why on earth an organisation at an airfield with hangars full of amazing airworthy warbirds would choose to stage a show that barely included any of them. Still, there was always Flying Legends...

Assuming some sort of normality can resume in 2021 I look forward to travelling to La Ferte Alais and Melun. I've only been to La Ferte Alais once before (in 2019) and absolutely loved it - a breath of fresh air after the frustration that has been building with Duxford over the last few years.

I know they are *only* airshows, but Flying Legends has been the highlight of my summer for the last 18 years.

Ant.H

Post by Ant.H »

First and foremost, I'd like to express my appreciation to everyone who has made FL possible up to now. I managed to attend all but three of them over the years and the content, location and atmosphere were really just perfect. I really hope TFC can find another location, but it's tough to find anything like the same venue.

As for IWM's plans going forward, the only way I can see it working for them is if they create a "clone" show in the same slot. Being so close in date to other generic shows like Yeovilton and RIAT, it needs to be a niche show to attract an audience. All this negative talk of FL being a niche show is nonsense IMHO, it's a big enough niche to support such an event and there really was nothing else like it. I can't imagine spectators will trek from NZ or S Africa or wherever just for another generic UK show.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

After reading this thread, hearing the radio interview and thinking about it some more, it really is sinking in what a bad decision this is by the IWM. It's one thing to see static, restored exhibits but, on non FL visits, its fascinating to see "live" warbirds stripped down, being worked on, parts coming in, and yes, that Beaufighter. Something many other museums would simply love to have on site. Every visit to the hanger, you would something a little different and, if lucky, see an engine test, hanger re-shuffle,test flight etc. TFC add so much more to the IWM experience and, surely, IWM should be doing everything they can to keep them happy. Whilst not underestimating the task ahead for TFC, I think its easier for TFC to find another base than for IWM to find another Fighter Collection.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

BobL

Post by BobL »

The fact it kept all the jet stuff well out of it's programme meant it was pretty unique and the only Duxford show I consciously made an effort to attend every year (taking leave over the FL weekend many years to ensure I could go).

The rest of the years shows I'd go if the urge was there though I tended to work them as a volunteer...

In the 25(?) years of it running I missed maybe two or three years. Many times I forked out extra for the Gold Pass ticket.

Will I make the effort to travel to its new home if it isn't in Cambridgeshire. Not sure....
Underneath my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Interesting that the comments that came from the IWM curator were from her private Twitter account. Completely unprofessional to use that route to comment on such an issue. If any of my staff did that, words would be had!!
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

It's interesting that IWM seems to want a slot that regularly clashes with the biggest airshow in Europe. Flying Legends could always hold its own against RIAT, but could a generic airshow?
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

The Baron wrote:
Fri 28 Aug 2020, 2:28 pm
It's interesting that IWM seems to want a slot that regularly clashes with the biggest airshow in Europe. Flying Legends could always hold its own against RIAT, but could a generic airshow?
Spot on we always split the two when they happened at the same weekend, it was a godsend on that year IAT was washed out.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Have they said that they'll hold their event on the same weekend as Legends was? Nick mentioned something about July being a prime month, but that doesn't stop IWM holding it on a weekend that doesn't clash with RIAT (or Yeovilton). Their only statement to date has been that the schedule for 2021 airshows will be announced in due course.
Last edited by Mike on Fri 28 Aug 2020, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlyingMachinesTV

Post by FlyingMachinesTV »

I believe the tweet from the museum "curator" has now been removed

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

The tweet was promptly removed yesterday I believe. Tried to find it to look through some of the comments but it was gone.

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:
Fri 28 Aug 2020, 9:35 pm
The tweet was promptly removed yesterday I believe. Tried to find it to look through some of the comments but it was gone.
I suspect she quickly realised that she'd bitten off more than she could chew......and being her personal account rather than an official one, needed to invoke some damage limitation. You can't stuff the genie back in the bottle though.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

The irony is that a curator would have no input at all into the decision re FL but she seemed to think she was both qualified and indeed, authorised to go "on the record" re the rational behind the decision. Love this tweet that responded.........

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Further to tremendous controversy that I caused online yesterday by making the outlandish claim that IWM Duxford was primarily an aviation museum. I submit humbly the evidence by which I formed by impression of this. I`m sure many others have been similarly fooled too. <a href="https://t.co/pcmcQ5i2V2">pic.twitter.co ... </p>&mdash; Calum Douglas (@CalumDouglas1) <a href=" 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BobL

Post by BobL »

Not enough planes for some though...
Underneath my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

Sideslip

Post by Sideslip »

The evidence is plane to see.

cgwilson

Post by cgwilson »

I saw a Tweet from an "Emily Charles" saying:

QUOTE :"Yes Flying Legends is popular among a certain audience, but for a number of years it has been out performed by shows with less niche appeal. Duxford has always been a war museum first, aviation museum second, amd IMO Legends programme has become removed from its warbird origins" UNQUOTE

I took a screenshot of her tweet but couldn`t figure out how to get it on here! I believe she is an IWM employee.

Discuss........................... ;0(

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:
Fri 28 Aug 2020, 9:35 pm
i think she probably meant that IWM is a war museum first and aviation second which in that case she is largely correct. however, what she said was foolish. it was one of those occasions she should have as a member of IWM staff kept her mouth shut

Orion

Post by Orion »

For many years now I've thought that 'Flying Legends' has become stale with too few standout items and too many of the same, eg Spitfires, Mustangs etc. Consequently I stopped going regularly decades ago and my last visit was 2012. Having said that I have, recently, made a practice of visiting on the practice day before the show, using my membership card, and enjoyed the tidbits that were available.
I can understand why the IWM wants to move on from Legends, I hope they choose wisely, but the tweet remarks from Emily Charles is a cause for concern.
Cheers

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

But this curator is clearly an innovator, according to the IWM website she used birds to fund her new website idea...

"Emily is curator of the American Air Museum at IWM Duxford, she is currently responsible for looking after the largest collection of American Military aircraft outside the USA. In 2014 she developed americanairmuseum.com an interactive crow-sourced archive of the Air War"

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

UKTopgun wrote:
Sun 30 Aug 2020, 2:00 pm
But this curator is clearly an innovator, according to the IWM website she used birds to fund her new website idea...

"Emily is curator of the American Air Museum at IWM Duxford, she is currently responsible for looking after the largest collection of American Military aircraft outside the USA. In 2014 she developed americanairmuseum.com an interactive crow-sourced archive of the Air War"
Old Crow presumably?

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Seems the curator in question has now made her Twitter private

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Sun 30 Aug 2020, 3:20 pm
UKTopgun wrote:

Old Crow presumably?
:grin:

I'm sure that comment would fly right over the head of the Curator of the AAM though :wink:

Orion

Post by Orion »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Sun 30 Aug 2020, 3:20 pm
UKTopgun wrote:

Old Crow presumably?
I think that 'interactive crow-sourced archive' should read 'interactive crowd-sourced archive. I further think the lady in question is wise to have made her twitter feed private.

R4118

Post by R4118 »

QUOTE : Yes Flying Legends is popular among a certain audience, but for a number of years it has been out performed by shows with less niche appeal

"certain audience": Legends draws the biggest crowds of all Duxford shows.
Anybody have an idea what shows "outperform" Flying Legends.

Certainly non of the other Duxford shows. Or even the new ones in France, like Melun or Lens. Quite the opposite. The succes of Legends has stimulated other airshows to copy the Legends format. They have become an addition to the airshow scene and not competition of Legends.

I can't help thinking that there are other reasons for stopping the flying at Duxford. I fear it will become a museum like Hendon. Static pieces, come and see, but don't touch. Nothing wrong with that. BUT WHAT A LOSS.
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

catwomanofkent

Post by catwomanofkent »

Hi Mike
We had it from the horses mouth at Duxford FL that were on the entry locations in the car park, some public DID NOT have tickets and they were able to pay on the day. A lot of pre bought tickets did not work on phones or paper and these people were refused entry. A coachload of public arrived at the May show one year and had no tickets and were refused entry after travelling from Newcastle, 80+ people. FL were definately allowing public in without prebuying tickets.