RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by Tommy »

AARDVARK wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:22 pm
B52’s cancelling are a massive loss to the USAF show piece, considering it was one of the major themes and leaves just the Osprey as sole USAF item flying!
Seem’s to me that the powers that be simply haven’t got behind RIAT’s 75 theme, E4B still fantastic scope and one of the star static items
I hope the USAF generals and big-wigs are suitably embarrassed that, in a field of multiple different displays from other European countries, that all they can manage on a USAF base is a single Osprey (though I love seeing an Osprey, so I’m happy it’s attending) in the flying.

Perhaps that’ll spurn them to support the show more than they have this year in the future.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Just to point out that, at the FRIAT forum, the praise for the level of support the USAF give RIAT was generous and genuine.
I think the comparative low number of USAF participation is down to circumstance not a lack of support; it would be quite easy for some 5-star general to look at Fairford, decide it's a high security vital asset that doesn't need 150000 Brits trampling over it and pull the show.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Sorry I’m not attending, sorry to hear about both the B-52s cancelling, always an awesome sight at any Airshow, Hope that all of you who are going have a great Weekend!

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Apparently a B-52 had an emergency landing at Nellis yesterday. Might be related to the cancellation, if for example they had to ground the whole fleet.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Tommy, thats why I said ‘in the tone of’ I wasn’t directly quoting anyone. Like you say of course it’s not be end all, but very difficult if not in attendance at an airshow to see this aircraft for me.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Tommy wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:27 pm
AARDVARK wrote:
B52’s cancelling are a massive loss to the USAF show piece, considering it was one of the major themes and leaves just the Osprey as sole USAF item flying!
Seem’s to me that the powers that be simply haven’t got behind RIAT’s 75 theme, E4B still fantastic scope and one of the star static items
I hope the USAF generals and big-wigs are suitably embarrassed that, in a field of multiple different displays from other European countries, that all they can manage on a USAF base is a single Osprey (though I love seeing an Osprey, so I’m happy it’s attending) in the flying.

Perhaps that’ll spurn them to support the show more than they have this year in the future.
I hope you meant SPUR Tommy, :smiling_imp: as spurn means :reject with disdain or contempt

daveseth

Post by daveseth »

so what can fill the time slot for the missing flying B.52, also the static spot?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:40 pm
Tommy wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:27 pm
AARDVARK wrote:

I hope you meant SPUR Tommy, :smiling_imp: as spurn means :reject with disdain or contempt
*yes sorry - autocorrect

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

daveseth wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:46 pm
so what can fill the time slot for the missing flying B.52, also the static spot?
Probably nothing at this late stage?

Not all cancellations can be replaced as it were.

Canberra TT.18

Post by Canberra TT.18 »

Back in the old days you went to an air show and just were amazed what showed up and what flew. So you didn't knew what hadn't showed up or was cancelled...

Nowdays social media and forums like this sets expectations much higher maybe even to high.

I can't wait for sunday. (But first of to Paris Defile, they have a perfect diagram what's flying the 14th. No surprises...)

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

iainpeden wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:24 pm
Must admit that C-130B with the picture of Groucho Marx on the tail would be good.
It would have been a real star, sadly I think its already in the USA.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Frecce are stopping at Geilenkirchen before making their way to Fairford tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/4158529584403 ... cDzwl/?d=n
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

stevebrodie

Post by stevebrodie »

Tommy wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:48 pm
daveseth wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:46 pm
hmm .... B2 round trip flight from across the pond :rofl: :rofl:
Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Canberra TT.18 wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 2:02 pm
Back in the old days you went to an air show and just were amazed what showed up and what flew. So you didn't knew what hadn't showed up or was cancelled...

Nowdays social media and forums like this sets expectations much higher maybe even to high.

I can't wait for sunday. (But first of to Paris Defile, they have a perfect diagram what's flying the 14th. No surprises...)
It would have been much better if the B-52, F-35 and A-10 were never announced/self confirmed. This way people get hyped up and end up disappointed (like me). But because of social media the old way of see whats here when you show up just would not work.

TheMaster

Post by TheMaster »

It's the Martin Baker Meteor for me. B52s have been into Fairford numerous times the past years and this was only a static 'display' in any case.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

The flying B-52 was only a static unlike the static Meteor?

I think I'll just pack the bags ready.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 2:13 pm
Canberra TT.18 wrote:

It would have been much better if the B-52, F-35 and A-10 were never announced/self confirmed. This way people get hyped up and end up disappointed (like me). But because of social media the old way of see whats here when you show up just would not work.
The golden rule is, nothing on that list is *confirmed* until it turns up. I've only been doing arrivals days for the last 10 years, but even I can tell you with some certainty that not everything still on the list will make it. It'd be almost unheard of for it all to arrive....

disgruntled

Post by disgruntled »

I know this has been asked lots of times including this year but I’ve been looking through the pages and can’t find it… so with apologies… A question about Thursday arrivals.

One of the reasons for not going to the main show days anymore is that my Dad who is approaching his 80s can’t manage the early starts anymore. So, if we were to arrive for say 0830 on the Thursday will there still be a decent enough spot for 2 without having tens of heads, arms, caps to contend with trying to get shots of the approach?

Sorry to ask a FAQ!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Bodz156 wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 2:20 pm
bobby 1211 wrote:
Canberra TT.18 wrote:

The golden rule is, nothing on that list is *confirmed* until it turns up. I've only been doing arrivals days for the last 10 years, but even I can tell you with some certainty that not everything still on the list will make it. It'd be almost unheard of for it all to arrive....
And certainly not unheard of for extra static assets to appear - I recall extra RAF Typhoons for example that were never on the list. The Israeli C-130 was never announced either I don't think (or at least not until the morning it was due to arrive).
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

cossie333`

Post by cossie333` »

Bodz156 wrote:
bobby 1211 wrote:
Canberra TT.18 wrote:

Hahah I like to think of it as a car journey, if 200 cars are all heading to one place its almost guaranteed a few of them will get problems that mean they have to turn around

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

disgruntled wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 2:28 pm
I know this has been asked lots of times including this year but I’ve been looking through the pages and can’t find it… so with apologies… A question about Thursday arrivals.

One of the reasons for not going to the main show days anymore is that my Dad who is approaching his 80s can’t manage the early starts anymore. So, if we were to arrive for say 0830 on the Thursday will there still be a decent enough spot for 2 without having tens of heads, arms, caps to contend with trying to get shots of the approach?

Sorry to ask a FAQ!
Yeah, if you turned up at that time on Thursday you might get space at the front down the western end as it's not as busy there, but not at East. However if you want approach shots you don't need to be at the front, move up towards the road (where the ladder section is) maybe & there's enough space up there usually. Plus aircraft are high enough that heads being in the way isn't an issue.

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

CJS wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 2:29 pm
Bodz156 wrote:
bobby 1211 wrote:
Canberra TT.18 wrote:

And certainly not unheard of for extra static assets to appear - I recall extra RAF Typhoons for example that were never on the list. The Israeli C-130 was never announced either I don't think (or at least not until the morning it was due to arrive).
Having read the anniversary book, that Israeli Herc was known about for some time but not made public at the request of the Israeli Air Force...but yeah, often the odd thing will turn up unannounced (French Army helicopters often do this)
Last edited by Bodz156 on Tue 12 Jul 2022, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Canberra TT.18

Post by Canberra TT.18 »

Bodz156 wrote:
bobby 1211 wrote:
Canberra TT.18 wrote:

It is almost like:

'I mean, what have you got to lose?
You know, you come from nothing
You're going back to nothing
What have you lost? Nothing'

So always look on the bright side of life.

RAF Fairford has nothing today and nothing next Wednesday, but in between!!!
(I know it should be almost nothing).

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 12:12 pm
CJS wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 12:08 pm
bobby 1211 wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 11:57 am
With the B-52 cancellation and hot weather on Saturday/Sunday I've decided I am not going on the weekend. I am looking for someone to swap tickets with. I have 2x Saturday tickets with the Swindon bus and I am looking for 2x Friday tickets.
Don't be too hasty, the lineups for the weekend are still extraordinary and really Friday doesn't come close. You can manage the weather if you're careful and you wouldn't want to regret a hasty decision, that's all I'm saying.
You'd be mad to cancel your tickets. When else are you going to (probably) see a Viggen, an A-4, a U-2 and/or an E-4B up close? How about a Hind or the Typhoon QRA display... plus there's the small matter of the Black Eagles!

Stick with it mate would be my advice :)
I have decided to only go on the Friday to and from what I can tell I will still get to see a Hind, the Typhoon QRA display and the Black Eagles plus the Viggen airborne as it arrives so going Friday isn't totally crazy :)

Whatever day people go though I am sure everyone will have a great time and the fact I have been able to convince my Dad to go up on the Friday after he flat out refused to go Sunday is a big bonus as has greatly missed them the last few years and with him getting up their in years this might be one of his last chances to attend so I am going to try and make it a good one.
Last edited by Andyperkins on Tue 12 Jul 2022, 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Had never intended going this year, I've moved home and am based much further away than previously and figured the first post-pandemic show might be a bit lean but given the great weather forecast have booked a last minute ticket for Sunday. I haven't really looked at the line-up but I think I prefer this approach to the weekly angst of what might/might not happen and the disappointment when stuff cancels. It's a whole day of flying and loads of static stuff to wander around, I'm sure I'll be satisfied...