Farnborough 2016

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
FullCarrot

Farnborough 2016

Post by FullCarrot »

Surprised this one hasn't started yet.....

Announced today; tickets go live at 10am on November 20th, first 1,500 tickets will be £32.

Advance tickets £40, on the day £48

capercaillie

Re: Farnborough 2016

Post by capercaillie »

Their generosity knows no bounds! :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

£48... :-X Good god!

kph100

Post by kph100 »

At the moment only have the Sunday off work.
Is the line up of aircraft mostly the same for the Sunday and Saturday.
Guess im asking if there is any reduction in flying time on the Sunday ?
Obviously the statics are the same.

Thanks.

Russ

Post by Russ »

Britain's most unfriendly airshow, if you pay £48 (or anything for that matter), then you have more money than sense.

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

WG655 wrote:£48... :-X Good god!

Still cheaper than most premier football match tickets and its a whole day experience not just 2 hours ! :cuppa:

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

Rampvan wrote:

Still cheaper than most premier football match tickets and its a whole day experience not just 2 hours ! :cuppa:

Yes but only if half the pitch was closed only on match day , They promised Messi and ronaldo would be joining your team only to bugger off just before kick off then 15 pushy unwashed people were sharing your seat and out of the 90 mins the best players only played of 15 mins and the rest of the time filled by New Mills FC squad

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Farnborough showdays are hideously overcrowded, and some of the aircraft which have been missed in recent years make skidd's analogy very true.

Can't think of a venue less interested in ensuring its visitors have a good day out - its more as if they feel obligated to 'let the common folk in for the weekend now all those in suits have been whisked away'...

A family of 2 adults, 2 children would be far better going to RIAT for the day, and would save £18 in the process, for probably double the number of aircraft.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

WG655 wrote:its more as if they feel obligated to 'let the common folk in for the weekend now all those in suits have been whisked away'...

Isn't this exactly the case, but more accurately "they allow common folk to come and have a look round for a bit before everything is packed away"?

Mister G

Post by Mister G »

I thought this had been worked out two years ago, there are now two events during "Farnborough Week". What we traditionally think of as the Farnborough Air Show runs from Monday to Friday afternoon and at the weekend there is an air show at Farnborough

Graham
If you've enjoyed this half as much as I have,
then I've enjoyed it twice as much as you!

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

skidd40 wrote:
Rampvan wrote:

Yes but only if half the pitch was closed only on match day , They promised Messi and ronaldo would be joining your team only to bugger off just before kick off then 15 pushy unwashed people were sharing your seat and out of the 90 mins the best players only played of 15 mins and the rest of the time filled by New Mills FC squad

Brilliant!!! :lol: :lol:

FullCarrot

Post by FullCarrot »

Russ wrote:Britain's most unfriendly airshow, if you pay £48 (or anything for that matter), then you have more money than sense.

I have to be honest I didn't get the unfriendly vibe at all, the people around me were all decent and I didn't experience any pushy characters. Maybe I was lucky but I honestly had a cracking time in 2014.

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

skidd40 wrote:
Rampvan wrote:

And you dont think that happens at football matches, you pay to go to watch a football match, you have no idea on the players the teams will put out until 15 mins before the match, the same way you pay to go to see an air show ! its very naive of you to think any different!
Last edited by Rampvan on Thu 05 Nov 2015, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

WG655 wrote:Farnborough showdays are hideously overcrowded, .

Cant be overpriced then :smile:

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

FullCarrot wrote:
Russ wrote:Britain's most unfriendly airshow, if you pay £48 (or anything for that matter), then you have more money than sense.

I have to be honest I didn't get the unfriendly vibe at all, the people around me were all decent and I didn't experience any pushy characters. Maybe I was lucky but I honestly had a cracking time in 2014.

Overpriced, cramped, horrible, no thanks.

We went in 2014, despite never wishing to go again after an awful 2010 (I bought tickets based on F35, Harrier & Me262 appearing, sadly only one of those aircraft actually ended up attending)
Had been to RIAT the weekend before (which was also hit by the absence of the F35) and the difference was like day and night!
We got there early and set up our seats right at the front of the crowdline, but had persistent people pushing in alongside (and on one ocassion in front of us) to get photos etc. which resulted in a heated public spat.

Static layout is consistently awful and public walkways bottlenecking everywhere, you never know until virtually the day what is going to be displaying and what will bugger off home after displaying all week for the trade attendees (787 Dreamliner & F22 biggest culprits in 2010).

The 2014 line-up consisted of about 60% of items I can see for free at my local seaside show, the only thing worth paying money for was to see a flying harrier and Super connie!

£48??? Never again, I wouldn't go if I was given free tickets quite frankly!

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I say this every year, you do not have to buy a public day ticket! Trade tickets are easily available from the webiste nearer the time. No crush, no turning up at the crack of dawn, get a spot on the flight line as the first display aircraft taxies out. Ok you wont get the likes of the reds, warbirds etc and you will get a shorter display, but you will get room around the statics and access to the halls.
I don't get the whole unfriendly thing. The show organizers have provided free park and view for registered enthusiasts for 8 years now. Yes it gets packed on public days and you get lots of people who don't normally go to airshows. This is massively advertised in London as a easily accessible show so you get a lot of people who only go here.

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

farnboroughrob wrote:I say this every year, you do not have to buy a public day ticket! Trade tickets are easily available from the webiste nearer the time. No crush, no turning up at the crack of dawn, get a spot on the flight line as the first display aircraft taxies out. Ok you wont get the likes of the reds, warbirds etc and you will get a shorter display, but you will get room around the statics and access to the halls.
I don't get the whole unfriendly thing. The show organizers have provided free park and view for registered enthusiasts for 8 years now. Yes it gets packed on public days and you get lots of people who don't normally go to airshows. This is massively advertised in London as a easily accessible show so you get a lot of people who only go here.

I wouldn't say they were "easily available", I did look into it last year and canvassed the opinion of enthusiasts on here, but there didn't seem to be any certainty about being turned away at the gate because you were representing a "made up" company (which I understood to be the only way to get a trade ticket)
In addition to this, the harrier was only displaying on the weekend.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I have been using the same made up company for more than 10 years and not had any problems. You will find the show full of spotters every day anyway.

Russ

Post by Russ »

Rampvan wrote:

Yeah, but I don't get treated like scum when I go to see my football team play.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I haven't been to a big football match for many years but that is exactly how you used to be treated - herded like cattle.

Anyway, 2016 will be my 20th Farnborough and I have never found it particularly unfriendly - no more than any other place where large numbers of people are crammed into a small space. For a few years now, I've got trade tickets and I'm fortunate enough not to have to make up a company name. Farnborough has its own little foibles like some pretty severe bottlenecks for pedestrians and off-site parking which is a pain but it's always a been bit like that. The opportunity to see the latest and greatest is something that still attracts large crowds and long may it continue.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

DerekF wrote: The opportunity to see the latest and greatest is something that still attracts large crowds and long may it continue.

The trouble is for the great British public coming at the weekend, the opportunity to see the latest doesn't happen anymore as its all sodded off home!

Russ

Post by Russ »

DerekF wrote:I haven't been to a big football match for many years but that is exactly how you used to be treated - herded like cattle.

On the terraces 25+ years ago, you'd be right. But not these days I can assure you.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

capercaillie wrote:
DerekF wrote: The opportunity to see the latest and greatest is something that still attracts large crowds and long may it continue.

The trouble is for the great British public coming at the weekend, the opportunity to see the latest doesn't happen anymore as its all sodded off home!

It's been like that since I started going to be honest. I remember the very first Farnborough I went to in 1978 expecting to see the newly flown Mirage 2000 which had sadly disappeared by the weekend. We always used to go on the Friday which was always a full public day when most of the star items were still there. The disappearance of star items is the main reason why a trade day visit is better.

Anyway, each to their own. I'll be going next year and hope the weather is better than the last few years.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Oh come on Derek, its nothing like like it is these days. I first visited Farnborough in 1984 and everything that flew during the week was flying at the weekend bar the Buffalo which crashed. All you used to get was the addition of the Reds and BBMF added to the weekend line up.

In 1992 it was a little different as the Russians varied what flew, the Yak-38 and Yak-141 only flew Thursday, the Tu-22M only on the weekend and the MiG-31 not at all even though it had cleared its routine. But all the new stuff was still there flying at the weekend.

The last few have been awful with all the airliners and bizjets vanishing. I last attended in 2008 and the AW609 was being dis-assembled, the Indian team were also packed up away from the crowds, the flying display was basically your average seaside line up with Super Hornet, A380 and solo Dhruv thrown in for good measure.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

On customer service/experience, Farnborough on a trade or public day is the worst Airshow experience in the UK with no equal.

In 2014 the staff manning the stands were very rude and no one gave 2 whatsits about you if they couldn't make a million or two off you. The only exception being Airbus who were positively exstatic if you took an interest in any of their displays.

It will take a number of unique new acts (that aren't at RIAT) to be announced for me to go in 2016.

Andy