Farnborough 2016

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
lynothehammer

Re: Farnborough 2016

Post by lynothehammer »

If the news true and they manage to bring it over then what a fantastic coupe.

As for 2014 had the F35 & ME262 turned out then i think the weekend days were a decent flying line up, maybe not Farnborough of yesteryear but certainly an improvement.

Unfortunately the cost is what really lets them down, then again the crowds still turned out in 2014 so why would they lower the cost ? :(

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Russ wrote:
Rampvan wrote:
WG655 wrote:£48... :-X Good god!

Still cheaper than most premier football match tickets and its a whole day experience not just 2 hours ! :cuppa:

Yeah, but I don't get treated like scum when I go to see my football team play.

care to elaborate on that ?

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

lynothehammer wrote:Unfortunately the cost is what really lets them down, then again the crowds still turned out in 2014 so why would they lower the cost ? :(

It looks like I will be working again for the whole week at the show, the bonuses are.....I will be getting free entry all week and get paid to watch the show, there will be no crowd in front of me for the whole week, I will get numerous breaks to do what I like. So if you do attend the show come and find our little team, you will get a very warm welcome I can assure you. :smile:

Russ

Post by Russ »

Rampvan wrote:
Russ wrote:
Rampvan wrote:

Still cheaper than most premier football match tickets and its a whole day experience not just 2 hours ! :cuppa:

Certainly. Here's my post from the "Thoughts on the show" thread, posted on July 15th, 2012 - http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=45017&start=25#p448723

Russ wrote:I went today, wish I hadn't bothered, it was the worst airshow experience I have ever had. Anyway here goes...

The public are treated like scum. Even on arrival, the security checks were ridiculous I even had to take my belt off and pull the top up - WTF? The security staff (G4S *snigger*), were rude and damn right nasty. Never known such a heavy handed and aggressive security search, disgraceful. No smiles or greeting, treated people like cattle.

Public days should be changed to advance tickets only, it was stupidly, dangerously overcrowded today. To the point where it would on the crowdline take 10 minutes to walk a couple hundred yards (I'm not exaggerating either). Then the G4S staff who stand the other side of the fence, have zero realisation what is going on and get in the way of photographers.

I know Farnborough is predominately a trade show, but that is all they seem to care about. No commentary down a large proportion of the crowdline - why? Very few toilets for the number of visitors, meaning a long walk and wait - why? Catering onsite is obscenely expensive, glad I took my own, but I saw one stall selling hot dogs for £6! Why? Nobodies fault but the clientèle are damn right rude, pushing in front of people and lack even basic manners.

£41 on the day is simply scandalous for the line up, which was mostly mediocre, with the A380 the only real stand out item for me. Compare the price to RIAT and what you get, clearly many things are fundamentally wrong at FI. I only booked tickets to see the Russian Knights a week before they cancelled.

It's been called Britain's "unfriendly airshow" before and that title is still absolutely 100% justified, probably more so now. I have no desire to go back on a public day again. The organisers should be ashamed of themselves.

Offbreed

Post by Offbreed »

I've always enjoyed the Farnborough Airshow , enthusiast day on the Friday allows access to all the halls, which are huge and full of interesting stuff, security is quite thorough on entry, which is a good thing on such a high profile event.

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Russ wrote:
Rampvan wrote:
Russ wrote:
Rampvan wrote:

Certainly. Here's my post from the "Thoughts on the show" thread, posted on July 15th, 2012 - http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=45017&start=25#p448723

Russ wrote:I went today, wish I hadn't bothered, it was the worst airshow experience I have ever had. Anyway here goes...

The public are treated like scum. Even on arrival, the security checks were ridiculous I even had to take my belt off and pull the top up - WTF? The security staff (G4S *snigger*), were rude and damn right nasty. Never known such a heavy handed and aggressive security search, disgraceful. No smiles or greeting, treated people like cattle.

Public days should be changed to advance tickets only, it was stupidly, dangerously overcrowded today. To the point where it would on the crowdline take 10 minutes to walk a couple hundred yards (I'm not exaggerating either). Then the G4S staff who stand the other side of the fence, have zero realisation what is going on and get in the way of photographers.

I know Farnborough is predominately a trade show, but that is all they seem to care about. No commentary down a large proportion of the crowdline - why? Very few toilets for the number of visitors, meaning a long walk and wait - why? Catering onsite is obscenely expensive, glad I took my own, but I saw one stall selling hot dogs for £6! Why? Nobodies fault but the clientèle are damn right rude, pushing in front of people and lack even basic manners.

£41 on the day is simply scandalous for the line up, which was mostly mediocre, with the A380 the only real stand out item for me. Compare the price to RIAT and what you get, clearly many things are fundamentally wrong at FI. I only booked tickets to see the Russian Knights a week before they cancelled.

It's been called Britain's "unfriendly airshow" before and that title is still absolutely 100% justified, probably more so now. I have no desire to go back on a public day again. The organisers should be ashamed of themselves.

Sorry you feel that way, Im not going to defend it as you will take the worst case scenario every time, I just wondered what your feelings were :smile: so thank you

PS: G4S werent aircraft side of the fence!

Russ

Post by Russ »

Well at least you can see my point of view.

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Russ wrote:Well at least you can see my point of view.

Some, but def not all :smile:

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

There is a lot of truth said above, however this has never been billed as a enthusiasts airshow. As for security I had no problem last show, maybe I was lucky? I attended on Tue, Wed and being a local had BOGOF for Saturday. It was very over crowded but this is due to the whole layout and the fact nothing has changed on that front for 40+ years. As for the cost, well this is a very affluent area and the show is heavily advertised in London. Im not saying the streets are paved with gold but there are enough people willing to spend £50 for a day out without even blinking. It really does not matter to them what the price of RIAT is in comparison . Farnborough is so easy from London, 45 min on the train and a 10 min bus journey, its the only airshow they will probably attend that year.

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

2012....A visit on the Wednesday of the show, we parked on site and had a casual stroll around the static which wasnt crowded at all, we then did the halls where we picked up plenty of freebies including a couple of Aircraft models from the chalets....at about 13.50 we made our way to the free grandstand to watch the show...although only a 5 min walk from the halls this was evidently too far for the business people in attendance on the day to walk...a couple of Dutch enthusiasts joined us but that was it...this is why I never get the overcrowding complaint ! :dunno:

And a couple of shots from the grandstand

Last edited by Rampvan on Thu 12 Nov 2015, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

That is totally normal for a weekday at Farnborough. You will find the genuine trade visitors will be lunching, meeting etc away from the crowd line. No issues with getting a decient spot as the first display item taxis out. Go Mon-Wed after that many of the trade aircraft will start to depart and be replaced by the regulars for the weekend.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

So, what impression did the trade days give this year? One of decadence and snobbery where if you weren't someone from whom money could be made, you were a nobody and treated as such. Farnborough must shake this attitude off. They don't help themselves by charging £16 for hot food in their restaurants which is of £5 quality, they make RIAT look cheap. Whilst the author did not attend the public days, it is clear from our forums that the promised changes to improve this show made things worse, especially with star flying acts from the trade days departing prior to them. The public days certainly don't appear to be worth the rip off cost the organisers charge for a ticket and unless something drastically changes in 2016 we really can't recommend people attend them in the future. There are much better value and cheaper shows out there where you get to see more, indeed, RIAT represents a comparable show for far better value.

Will Farnborough listen to the fact that they need to drastically change to stay relevant? Probably not, they will more than likely point to the US$152billion in aircraft orders placed during the show to show that it is a success and our criticism is unfounded. However compare that order book to Dubai 2013 (US$206.1billion in aircraft orders), and the real (shrinking) size of Farnborough's relevance is abundantly clear.

Sadly the biggest losers here are British industry not the enthusiast and for that reason, something must change.

Says it all really :whistle:
http://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/uk/20 ... l-airshow/

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

I have never encountered this "One of decadence and snobbery where if you weren't someone from whom money could be made" perhaps I look rich :smile: I can assure you I dont though, I do however not look like a scruffy anorak wearing spotter geek that most outsiders see us as ! I can hold a conversation with most people again without coming across as a geek...maybe this has something to do with it maybe not :dunno:

The prices at the show will continue to increase year on year because year on year there are more people willing to attend than there are tickets (supply and demand), until we see a fall in the general public who want to attend then this will be the case.

RIAT: Although yes this is a good show, travelling to and from for the uninitiated joe public type can be very much a nightmare, located off country roads with very limited infrastructure to accomodate the huge influx of cars. Yes I know the way to go is to leave at the crack of sparrows but the afformentioned joe public dont know this, in fact some enthusiasts who know the pitfalls of RIAT also get caught out some years. Not a great advert for RIAT. Of course Farnborough also suffers congestions but as Rob says there are good transport links via trains and motorway/dual carriageway almost to the door.

With one of the quiestest Dubai shows for many years in terms of aircraft orders it will be interesting to see how next years FIA figures stand up

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Rampvan wrote:I have never encountered this "One of decadence and snobbery where if you weren't someone from whom money could be made" perhaps I look rich :smile: I can assure you I dont though, I do however not look like a scruffy anorak wearing spotter geek that most outsiders see us as ! I can hold a conversation with most people again without coming across as a geek...maybe this has something to do with it maybe not :dunno:

Went suited/booted for two full days in 2014 and many times didn't even get chance to start a conversation with some despite being 100% professional and friendly as I am at work (Chartered Surveyor). Many looked at my name badge and just lost all interest. The worst for it was the gentleman manning the Striker Helmet display at BAE... physically turned his nose up at me.

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Im sorry you have found that to be the case, personally Ive been invited in for coffee, waffles (the big Dutch ones) sandwiches and even a beers at numerous stands in all the halls. Wonder what your doing wrong :dunno:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I strongly believe it's all down to what your name badge says underneath your name, the snobbery point being that if they see your badge and don't think there is money in it they don't want to know. I can't use my works name on my badge (public sector, classed as abusing your position).

effects

Post by effects »

boff180 wrote:I strongly believe it's all down to what your name badge says underneath your name, the snobbery point being that if they see your badge and don't think there is money in it they don't want to know. I can't use my works name on my badge (public sector, classed as abusing your position).

Well Rampers and I both work for a security company at FIA (not g4s) and have had no problems engaging in chat with all manner of companies and in the process being given a vast amount of gizzits and offered tea/coffee/beer and food, most of the reps are happy to chat to anyone. Maybe you just can't 'talk the talk'.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Offbreed

Post by Offbreed »

I noticed that on the Friday when coach loads of school kids carrying clip boards descend on the show, many of the reps in the halls go into hiding. :lol:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Offbreed wrote:I noticed that on the Friday when coach loads of school kids carrying clip boards descend on the show, many of the reps in the halls go into hiding. :lol:

Wouldn't you? :grin: :hide:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

Apparently the 1,500 early bird tickets for the public days sold out in 30 minutes this morning.

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Paul_Reflex wrote:Apparently the 1,500 early bird tickets for the public days sold out in 30 minutes this morning.

Looks like another sell out is on the cards then !

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Who said the Gannet had no pulling power! :vulc:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Ordered a ticket for the Friday and Saturday :smile:

patrouille2001