FIA 2016 Participants

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
effects

Re: FIA 2016 Participants

Post by effects »

Russ wrote:
JJC wrote:No RAF Typhoon display this year...

From Twitter:
@RAFTyphoonTeam
1/2 Sorry to announce we will not be displaying @FIAFarnborough this year, although @BAESystemsAir will be providing a Typhoon role display.

Playing devils advocate, but is it possible that due to the much-tightened display restrictions at FIA, they simply cannot adapt the already PDA approved RAF Typhoon routine, to fit within the limits? Whereas the BAE Systems role demo can be worked up to fit within them? :question:

You are probably spot on, altering routines (as some have suggested happens at RIAT) causes mishaps. One small deviation from a practiced display could spell disaster.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

It seems they've really suffered this year, due to safety changes, but that was probably expected - I'd even say; I'm surprised there's a Farnborough 2016, given the many obstacles in the immediate vicinity. But you only need to look at the current line-up to see the impact; not Farnborough, at all. Best you can hope for is a decent static and maybe one or two special items in the air.

Change of venue for 2018?

effects

Post by effects »

Flare Path wrote:It seems they've really suffered this year, due to safety changes, but that was probably expected - I'd even say; I'm surprised there's a Farnborough 2016, given the many obstacles in the immediate vicinity. But you only need to look at the current line-up to see the impact; not Farnborough, at all. Best you can hope for is a decent static and maybe one or two special items in the air.

Is it any different to last time ref aircraft? it is going to be interesting to see what the Reds decide.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

st24

Post by st24 »

Russ wrote:

From Twitter:
@RAFTyphoonTeam
1/2 Sorry to announce we will not be displaying @FIAFarnborough this year, although @BAESystemsAir will be providing a Typhoon role display.

Playing devils advocate, but is it possible that due to the much-tightened display restrictions at FIA, they simply cannot adapt the already PDA approved RAF Typhoon routine, to fit within the limits? Whereas the BAE Systems role demo can be worked up to fit within them? :question:

Very likely - I know several service display pilots being grumpy about having to adapt sequences to fit in with Farnborough over the years...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Flare Path wrote:It seems they've really suffered this year, due to safety changes, but that was probably expected - I'd even say; I'm surprised there's a Farnborough 2016, given the many obstacles in the immediate vicinity. But you only need to look at the current line-up to see the impact; not Farnborough, at all. Best you can hope for is a decent static and maybe one or two special items in the air.

There will never be a change of venue for 'farnborough'. After this years show they are spending £25mil (IIRC) on a permanent exhibition center to be used all year. However it could mean the end of flying at farnborough shows. I predicted 10+ years ago that it will become a Mon-Thrs trade show with no flying. The trade people do not need a flying display, although the public weekend makes good money. The trade shows like NBAA, EBACE and helitech don't have flying displays.

As for the BAE Typhoon V RAF Typhoon, the BAE one has displayed on many of the trade days before so not a massive surprise. Airshow website still showing the RAF one displaying. It is certainly a show lacking in fast jets (reds, F-16, F-35, typhoon) and they seem to have made a conscious decision to go for the slower acts. Could be the first time in 20+ years I have not purchased a trade ticket!

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

effects wrote:
Russ wrote:

From Twitter:
@RAFTyphoonTeam

You are probably spot on, altering routines (as some have suggested happens at RIAT) causes mishaps. One small deviation from a practiced display could spell disaster.

Despite what may be suggested elsewhere, routines are not altered at RIAT.

Tom

APG

Post by APG »

Changing a display routine to fit at Farnborough has been the norm for many, Boeing have always had to do it with the 18. Can understand the RAF Typhoon withdrawing with this years airspace constraints, too much, money, time and scheduling effort for a "couple" of displays, in amongst an already busy season for them.

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

RNHF Swordfish confirmed for weekend display.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

New map on website dated 17/5...
Bell/Textron aircraft removed
A350 in static now a Qatar example, although A350-1000 still down
C-27J added
C-5 removed
Dornier 328 added
2 gazelle added
A380 removed
Twin Otter removed
ATR removed
two Mi-8 now on the plan, a mistake?
pembroke, Jet Provest, Rapide Dakota x2, An-2 and Gnat added to static for weekend
flying aircraft parked crowd side for the weekend 5x Extra (blades?),4x Stearman (breitling), Yak-3, B-25, 2x Pitts

Personally I think that this is a map for the public weekend? If not is going to be a very empty place? Sadly the map does not extend to the western aircraft parks.

edit forgot the linkhttp://www.farnborough.com/trade/files/oea_17.05.2016.pdf
Rob
Last edited by farnboroughrob on Wed 25 May 2016, 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Galaxy and A380 is two very big holes. :shock:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Awful changes - both the 'heavies' particularly significant losses - I'm becoming increasingly concerned that this is rapidly becoming a historic show with a few airliners thrown in. Where is the technological innovation, inspiration of the young etc? Very glad I didn't fork out for a ticket.

Paris/Dubai/Berlin trade shows have a much greater modern focus: why does Farnborough differ?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

WG655 wrote:Awful changes - both the 'heavies' particularly significant losses - I'm becoming increasingly concerned that this is rapidly becoming a historic show with a few airliners thrown in. Where is the technological innovation, inspiration of the young etc? Very glad I didn't fork out for a ticket.

Paris/Dubai/Berlin trade shows have a much greater modern focus: why does Farnborough differ?

Wash your mouth out Joe, we have the 42 year old F-16 displaying :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I normally cut my local show some slack, but not this year! On what has been revealed so far If you are a photographer, and do not collect numbers don't bother with the show. You have a seaside show with a F-18 and F-35 thrown in. Both these are at RIAT so you will see nothing new. If you collect numbers then there will probably still be some exotic aircraft on the trade days, well Mon-Wed. I'm still pretty sure that there will be a ATR72, CRJ, DHC8, E190, and lots of biz jets on the trade days, I just think they have moved westwards, off that map. A sad state of affairs. Farnborough is like a faded, Victorian, sea side resort still cashing in on its dwindling past.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

as im attending legends the weekend before which is a much better warbird venue then sadly theres nothing that i really want to spend my money on so im tempted to just do legends both days

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

I agree with you FarnboroughBob, I am worried as booked for the Friday and so far not seeing anything I really that impressive, I am fairly loyal to the show and I have been to all the Farnborough's since 1998. Other worry is it's my last booked Airshow of 2016 and I am unsure if attend any others as waiting foot operation.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

APG

Post by APG »

New map demonstrates the re-aligned crowd-line well, which is why the C-5 has gone

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

An interview with AINonline that was published yesterday with the organisers which included the following being said to appear:

Super Hornet flying
2x A350, Qatar and Airbus
2x A380, Qatar and Airbus

And

The show will open on the Monday with a Reds and F-35 formation flypast.

Andy

CJS

Post by CJS »

boff180 wrote:An interview with AINonline that was published yesterday with the organisers which included the following being said to appear:

Super Hornet flying
2x A350, Qatar and Airbus
2x A380, Qatar and Airbus

And

The show will open on the Monday with a Reds and F-35 formation flypast.

Andy

Flying straight from FFD I guess?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

st24

Post by st24 »

That really is quite a change. Have we lost the Indonesian Tucano? And is the "IAF DC-3" that rather lovely Indian Air force schemed one that's heading East at some stage??
Still appears to be very East-end centric given that the display datum is moving Westwards... :dunno:

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I'm still hoping that that map is only for the public days? If not it is going to be a long arrivals week!

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Don't worry the Blades have been added to the weekend... The airshow that just keeps on giving...

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

B727-200 - Oil Spill Response added to the flying display for the weekend. :clap:

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

lynothehammer wrote:B727-200 - Oil Spill Response added to the flying display for the weekend. :clap:

and according to their twitter feed are hoping to fly most days! whether these will be demo flights or displays it doesn't say!

st24

Post by st24 »

lynothehammer wrote:B727-200 - Oil Spill Response added to the flying display for the weekend. :clap:

Yay, a 50 year old airliner! (albeit a superb one and a "proper" aeroplane doing a modern day job :smile: )

BurtyBasset

Post by BurtyBasset »

It seems there will be no F-35A at Farnborough this year
http://www.defensenews.com/story/defens ... /85302804/

Nick