FIA 2016 Participants

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
Rampvan

Re: FIA 2016 Participants

Post by Rampvan »

Didnt display but nearly took my roof off on arrival!!!

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

F-18 display looked a little to the west but not drastically. Im guessing that was his flat display as no loops, mind you the cloud base was only about 2500ft. Typhoon will fly tomorrow pm as they don't have the upper airspace until about 15:00.

Wokka

Post by Wokka »

Hornet 1 (F18) was cleared up to 7900ft today but as you say the cloud base prevented a full display.

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Does anyone know the Frequency's for this year as they normally keep them discrete. :music:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Was it the E or F that displayed?

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Twas the F that displayed yesterday.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

DeanW wrote:Twas the F that displayed yesterday.

Argh! Really want to see the E put through its paces :dunno:

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

BAe Typhoon validated early afternoon: lame. Lazy figure-eights with little "turn and burn": only one 360 crowd centre, no serious climbing and diving etc. Overall sufficiently high that I felt the need of a 1.4 with my 500 from the Southwood playing fields.

F35B was validated by both RAF and USMC aircraft (so two pilots available in case one gets Norro): loud and sounds rather odd when using the lift fan! Short display: its a fast slippery thing though.

Super Hornet E was up late afternoon, display not much different if at all from previous years.

Missed the Blades and Bearcat which were also up at times.

John

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

FarnboroJohn wrote:BAe Typhoon validated early afternoon: lame. Lazy figure-eights with little "turn and burn": only one 360 crowd centre, no serious climbing and diving etc. Overall sufficiently high that I felt the need of a 1.4 with my 500 from the Southwood playing fields.

F35B was validated by both RAF and USMC aircraft (so two pilots available in case one gets Norro): loud and sounds rather odd when using the lift fan! Short display: its a fast slippery thing though.

Super Hornet E was up late afternoon, display not much different if at all from previous years.

John

Agree Typhoon was pretty pathetic, too high, very repetitive, did have nice weapons load though
F18 maybe same as ever but same as ever is very very good.
F35 considering that they probably don't want to damage it, I thought very impressive and the hover is awesome
Most impressive sight of the day was 727 with the blades and 727 on it's own gave a great display showing off its lines to perfection.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

effects

Post by effects »

tankbuster wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:BAe Typhoon validated early afternoon: lame. Lazy figure-eights with little "turn and burn": only one 360 crowd centre, no serious climbing and diving etc. Overall sufficiently high that I felt the need of a 1.4 with my 500 from the Southwood playing fields.

John

Agree Typhoon was pretty pathetic, too high, very repetitive, did have nice weapons load though
F-18 maybe same as ever but same as ever is very very good.
F35 considering that they probably don't want to damage it, I thought very impressive and the hover is awesome
Most impressive sight of the day was 727 with the blades and 727 on it's own gave a great display showing off its lines to perfection.

Watched the displays from the garden, the afternoon typhoon display was better, as for the F35 turning circle of a 747 and the Marine corps will have to come back and get it right! Bearcat was told to 'stop'.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Wokka

Post by Wokka »

Watched the displays from the garden, the afternoon typhoon display was better, as for the F35 turning circle of a 747 and the Marine corps will have to come back and get it right! Bearcat was told to 'stop'

Was able to watch the F35 validation from a high vantage point and the turning circle was one of the widest I've ever seen, thought he might have upset Heathrow at one point!

Offbreed

Post by Offbreed »

Good to read some interesting critique of the validations, instead of the happy clapping on Twitter :up:

effects

Post by effects »

BOE787 due 0743L
BOE737 due 1107L both on wed

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

787 not far off finals at 0745

John in Seaford

alisdairanderson

Post by alisdairanderson »

lambo17841 wrote:787 not far off finals at 0745

John in Seaford

Showing as N1015B on Flightaware.

Thx
Alisdair

effects

Post by effects »

Full ANA colours.

effects

Post by effects »

alisdairanderson wrote:

John in Seaford

Thx
Alisdair

Can confirm it carries N1015B, which is a Boeing temp reg, jap reg under sticker.

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

alisdairanderson wrote:

John in Seaford

Thx
Alisdair

To be JA880A......the 737 should be N8704Q for Southwest

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

2 F-22s at Fairford arrived yesterday,strange not showing here after,unless I have missed it somewhere as a surprise addition?

John in Seaford

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Have seen all the displays and The 727 and F-18 are the best. Warbirs displays (Catalina, Bearcat, Spitfire, yak 3) have frankly been pathetic. Very high and seem to consist of a run a 500ft followed by a wing over and repeat. A 350 and A380 impressive as ever, P-8 same as the last show but still good.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

farnboroughrob wrote:Have seen all the displays and The 727 and F-18 are the best. Warbirs displays (Catalina, Bearcat, Spitfire, yak 3) have frankly been pathetic. Very high and seem to consist of a run a 500ft followed by a wing over and repeat. A 350 and A380 impressive as ever, P-8 same as the last show but still good.

Spot on appraisal although I liked the F35 as well. I know it's not the most agile display but still very impressive and interesting I thought. Some of the small stuff does itself no favours by even agreeing to appear. Acts like the GWDT, I enjoy at at somewhere like Shoreham but if my only exposure had been their display at Farnborough two years ago, I wouldn't cross the road to see them perform again.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

wv383

Post by wv383 »

One thing that I noticed today is how much westwards the display centre has moved. For those who have been before, imagine you are standing roughly in the centre of the crowdline with the control tower straight in front of you, that is pretty much where the display centre was. However, now it is much further to the left towards Laffans Plain pretty much where the trees that partially hide the hangars end. So, anyone who now stands at the old centre or anywhere further towards the exhibition hall end will spend the whole display looking left and towards the end of the afternoon, straight into the sun! The crowdline barrier has also been moved back 50m. To give you an idea of hoe much that is, where Food Court 1 (ahem! their term not mine!) is located to the eastern end of the crowdline, there used to be a walkway behind it with static aircraft and space for the crowd to sit and watch. Not any more as, according to the show plan, the Food Court backs directly onto the barriers! Anyone who has been on public days before will know how much of a crush it can be on the crowdline. Now take 50m depth off the entire length of the crowdline! It's going to be a tight squeeze!! You can see what I mean from the site plan. The food area is just to the left of the old cross runway near the round red blob marked SAAB.

http://www.farnborough.com/trade/files/oea_29.06.2016_2.pdf
Simon

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

wv383 wrote:One thing that I noticed today is how much westwards the display centre has moved. For those who have been before, imagine you are standing roughly in the centre of the crowdline with the control tower straight in front of you, that is pretty much where the display centre was. However, now it is much further to the left towards Laffans Plain pretty much where the trees that partially hide the hangars end. So, anyone who now stands at the old centre or anywhere further towards the exhibition hall end will spend the whole display looking left and towards the end of the afternoon, straight into the sun! The crowdline barrier has also been moved back 50m. To give you an idea of hoe much that is, where Food Court 1 (ahem! their term not mine!) is located to the eastern end of the crowdline, there used to be a walkway behind it with static aircraft and space for the crowd to sit and watch. Not any more as, according to the show plan, the Food Court backs directly onto the barriers! Anyone who has been on public days before will know how much of a crush it can be on the crowdline. Now take 50m depth off the entire length of the crowdline! It's going to be a tight squeeze!! You can see what I mean from the site plan. The food area is just to the left of the old cross runway near the round red blob marked SAAB.

From where were you viewing to work
Out crowd centre had moved ?

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Found this on Facebook to give you a idea: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

wv383

Post by wv383 »

Rampvan wrote:
wv383 wrote:One thing that I noticed today is how much westwards the display centre has moved. For those who have been before, imagine you are standing roughly in the centre of the crowdline with the control tower straight in front of you, that is pretty much where the display centre was. However, now it is much further to the left towards Laffans Plain pretty much where the trees that partially hide the hangars end. So, anyone who now stands at the old centre or anywhere further towards the exhibition hall end will spend the whole display looking left and towards the end of the afternoon, straight into the sun! The crowdline barrier has also been moved back 50m. To give you an idea of hoe much that is, where Food Court 1 (ahem! their term not mine!) is located to the eastern end of the crowdline, there used to be a walkway behind it with static aircraft and space for the crowd to sit and watch. Not any more as, according to the show plan, the Food Court backs directly onto the barriers! Anyone who has been on public days before will know how much of a crush it can be on the crowdline. Now take 50m depth off the entire length of the crowdline! It's going to be a tight squeeze!! You can see what I mean from the site plan. The food area is just to the left of the old cross runway near the round red blob marked SAAB.

From where were you viewing to work
Out crowd centre had moved ?

Pegasus enclosure which is just past where the helicopter pleasure flights will be towards Eelmoor. F/A18 bottom of loops were from right in front of us to just to our right. Also the pyramid markers are in placed close to the taxiway to the TAG hangars whereas before they were further east in front of the trees near the tower.
Simon