FIA - straw poll of enthusiasts

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular

Are you attending FIA 2016 as a paying customer?

Yes, public days only
4%
Yes, public days only
4%
Yes, trade days only
10%
Yes, trade days only
10%
Yes, both public and trade days
1%
Yes, both public and trade days
1%
Yes, but on a free ticket/pass
1%
Yes, but on a free ticket/pass
1%
Not attending
34%
Not attending
34%

Total votes: 272

Dan O'Hagan

FIA - straw poll of enthusiasts

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Interesting to see how many UKARians are attending/not attending FIA this year.

Post your reasons below.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: FIA - straw poll of enthusiasts

Post by boff180 »

After writing the past 2 UKAR reviews and attending 2 trade days per time... the last time not enjoying myself at all, I'm not wasting my money...

To quote my 2014 review....

So, what impression did the trade days give this year? One of decadence and snobbery where if you weren't someone from whom money could be made, you were a nobody and treated as such. Farnborough must shake this attitude off. They don't help themselves by charging £16 for hot food in their restaurants which is of £5 quality, they make RIAT look cheap. Whilst the author did not attend the public days, it is clear from our forums that the promised changes to improve this show made things worse, especially with star flying acts from the trade days departing prior to them. The public days certainly don't appear to be worth the rip off cost the organisers charge for a ticket and unless something drastically changes in 2016 we really can't recommend people attend them in the future. There are much better value and cheaper shows out there where you get to see more, indeed, RIAT represents a comparable show for far better value.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Only attended once in 2008, as part of the FRIAT freebie. One of the worst airshow experiences I have ever had - very crowded and unpleasant, with the closeness of the runway being the only saving grace. The exhibitionists couldn't give a toss if you're an interested punter - wearing suits & having money to spend must be the only way to get the full Farnborough experience. As Andy alluded to in his review, one gets the feeling Farnborough now merely feel obligated to put on a public display because they 'have' to, with little actual interest in making it as good as it can be (both participant & experience wise).

Certainly won't be going near the place this year. It would take an awful lot to entice me to return, the show is rapidly getting too big for its boots - continuing to deliver shoddy lineups alongisde sky-high ticket prices. The airfield is clearly no longer suitable to host air displays under the current regulations, and I would be surprised to see any flying display element after this year.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

As posted in another thread I was determined to make one last visit to Farnborough - the airshow I have attended the most in earlier years, but after reading the posts on here I decided it simply wasn't worth the fairly major travelling arrangements I would have to have made.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Never been. Not interested. Never heard a good word about it.

With the changes this year and the line-up that's currently on offer, they need to be doing significantly better for the asking price.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Been to all the more recent ones. Always suffers as feeling a bit 'after the Lord mayor's show' as usually I have been to RIAT the week before. Close runway, great to be so close to A380 on the roll, but generally not great. Get the London crowd, not a nice experience, never seen litter like it after an airshow, a disgrace really.
The closure of the halls on public days was 2 fingers up to everyone, used to enjoy that aspect as it was unique in the UK. :sad:

Only thing that might persuade me this year is to bid farewell to Farnborough as an airshow.

PS the poll has no option for Do not know yet

Wondering how you can be a paying customer with a free ticket? :dizzy:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Been to every show since 1978, the last few years on trade days. No, it doesn't sound as good as previous years but I'd rather go and make up my own mind. 2014 was also widely predicted as being poor but it wasn't, at least not on the day I went.

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Although I wont be a paying customer, on the contrary I will be being paid to be there for all 5 trade days and I get free entry on the weekend if Im not airshowed out ! 4 days arrivals, 1 day RIAT, 5 trade days and the weekend show takes it out of one :biggrin: but hey ho roll on Farnborough, not only lots of aircraft for the show but also movemnets at TAG all day long...cant beat it in my eyes

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I will be there for arrivals and show week. However I shall be in the (free) Pegasus enclosure. For the first time in memory I will not actually be visiting the show. Normally buy a trade ticket but can't justify it at the moment. My brother-in-law works for TAG and normally comes up with e public day freebee, but I may even turn that down. The last true Farnborough show me thinks before they decide its too dangerous to fly displays there anymore.

effects

Post by effects »

along with Rampers I will be working (getting in photographers way) and have done in 2008,10 and 14. It has been a very enjoyable experience to be able to wander round chat with people about the latest developments in aviation. I usually work Mon to Fri but did do one Saturday- never again. So if you want an interesting and pleasant day out then trade days are the way forward.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

effects wrote:along with Rampers I will be working (getting in photographers way) and have done in 2008,10 and 14. It has been a very enjoyable experience to be able to wander round chat with people about the latest developments in aviation.

Ive ordered the golf buggies and the huge umberellas again this year :lol:

wv383

Post by wv383 »

farnboroughrob wrote:I will be there for arrivals and show week. However I shall be in the (free) Pegasus enclosure. For the first time in memory I will not actually be visiting the show. Normally buy a trade ticket but can't justify it at the moment. My brother-in-law works for TAG and normally comes up with e public day freebee, but I may even turn that down. The last true Farnborough show me thinks before they decide its too dangerous to fly displays there anymore.

I too will be there for arrivals and Show week (not every day but those that I can make), for the first time in the Pegasus enclosure (looking forward to meeting some of you for the first time). However, I am doing one 'inside' day for the simple reason that I didn't want 'not' to go and then find out it was the last one! Having been most years since the 60s, I can at least bid it 'goodbye' from inside.
Simon

effects

Post by effects »

Rampvan wrote:
effects wrote:along with Rampers I will be working (getting in photographers way) and have done in 2008,10 and 14. It has been a very enjoyable experience to be able to wander round chat with people about the latest developments in aviation.

well done that man, umbrellas by the way!!!

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Not going, because it's cramped, overpriced, always has a weak line up and the general pushy-shove atmosphere of the place.

Should have learned in 2010, definitely learned in 2014 :facepalm:

Never again (and that decision was made 2 years ago before all the regulation changes that are going to affect the flying at FIA this year)

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

effects wrote:
Rampvan wrote:

well done that man, umbrellas by the way!!!

umberellas are bigger :biggrin:

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

I live there, I will see what I can do from outside given the restrictions, but they aren't getting a penny of my money for providing a display over Long Valley and no Red Arrows display.

I think the organisers should be offering punters full refunds at the moment.

John

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Trade day only for me this year, normally do one day at the weekend but moneys tight this year.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Farnborough is normally very much on my 'Airshow Tour', either as a paying punter or courtesy of them that pay my wages but this year I doubt I'll be attending. The cost is RIAT territory with half a display, a cramped public area and this year certainly a poor line up. 2014 benefited from the Spanish Harrier, Connie and 3x C-47s. Having been making the effort to attend more European shows post-Payerne I'm constantly looking for more 'bang for my buck' and Farnborough 2016 just ain't delivering!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Offbreed

Post by Offbreed »

Friday for me, hoping I can dodge the hordes of clipboard carrying school kids, and not get run over by maniacs driving golf buggies, I hear there are exciting opportunities to engage with The Red Arrows team on the ground, it should be an inspirational and entertaining family day out.

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

Never been, too expensive for me and from what I can tell the displays were high and distant before this year.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

stuart n wrote:Never been, too expensive for me and from what I can tell the displays were high and distant before this year.

Urban myth. Go on a trade days and you get relatively close to the heavies without having to beat your way through the crowds on the crowd line. For example An A380 display is much closer than an A380 flyby at RIAT. At the last FIA, the Poseiden gave an awesome display and the heavy displays in general are usually very impressive. If your interest is GWDT than true, they seem like dots and a more intimate airfield is required, waste of space at Farnborough.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

LittleRedTrain

Post by LittleRedTrain »

Going (on a public day only) primarily because the shuttle bus leaves from the end of my road and I have a BOGOF ticket.

However, I was hoping for a better lineup when I bought my tickets, glad I'm doing RIAT as well this year.

strangelookingalien

Post by strangelookingalien »

I was born in '89 and went to every Farnborough from '90 through to my last one in 2012.

Since about 2004 or so it has become worse and worse and whilst it used to be an interesting day out to discuss aviation with the professionals in the trade halls it has lost *everything* it used to have going for it.

It's with real sadness that I expect i'll never attend Farnborough again. Crowded, overpriced, poor static and flying display and absolutely no concern for the paying public.

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

I gave up on weekends at FIA some years ago due to the corral effect of the walkways. Originally the pavilions were fantastic for the GP and enthusiasts alike, but they have finally realized it's "dead money" for the companies involved. I believe that FI put the weekend on to finance the week. The chance to see large airliners and unusual types put through different attitudes without the fear of spilling the coffee is an absolute treat.

Sadly, the CAA kneejerk regulations and changes may have put an end to my attendances throughout the year.

effects

Post by effects »

tankbuster wrote:
stuart n wrote:Never been, too expensive for me and from what I can tell the displays were high and distant before this year.

Urban myth. Go on a trade days and you get relatively close to the heavies without having to beat your way through the crowds on the crowd line. For example An A380 display is much closer than an A380 flyby at RIAT. At the last FIA, the Poseiden gave an awesome display and the heavy displays in general are usually very impressive. If your interest is GWDT than true, they seem like dots and a more intimate airfield is required, waste of space at Farnborough.

Talking of 'urban myths' the 230 m line is 230 m from the crowd regardless if its at Fairford or FIA, take offs however are closer at FIA.