Farnborough - a shadow of its former self?

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
DerekF

Re: Farnborough - a shadow of its former self?

Post by DerekF »

Since Farnborough moved to July in 2000, a number of participants have attended both shows so they clearly see some benefit in the shows being close together calendar-wise.

On another point, I wonder when the UKAR review will appear?

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

That sounds more that they do because of the change of date rather than there being a demand from partipants for the change.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

DerekF wrote:On another point, I wonder when the UKAR review will appear?

Don't think we had anybody there.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:

Oh OK. Being one of the UK's biggest airshows I would have thought there would be a review on UKAR.

Dragon Rapide wrote:That sounds more that they do because of the change of date rather than there being a demand from partipants for the change.

Well I'm not a party to the internal workings of SBAC but I suspect that exhibitors may have asked for it. If exhibitors were happy with September then it would have stayed there. Potential customers no doubt also welcome the proximity of the two shows.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

UKAR policy is only to review shows we attend as paying customers. If the show isn't attractive enough to lure people to part with their money, it won't be reviewed. There's no obligation for anyone on UKAR Staff to attend a show they have no interest in attending, regardless of the size of the event.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

DerekF wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:

Oh OK. Being one of the UK's biggest airshows I would have thought there would be a review on UKAR.

Dragon Rapide wrote:That sounds more that they do because of the change of date rather than there being a demand from partipants for the change.

Well I'm not a party to the internal workings of SBAC but I suspect that exhibitors may have asked for it. If exhibitors were happy with September then it would have stayed there. Potential customers no doubt also welcome the proximity of the two shows.

You of course may well be right and your point might be valid but my original scepticism was simply based on the fact that of the hundreds of trade exhibitors who exhibit at this predominantly trade show there can be only a very few of those who attend RIAT, as they are completely different events. But I doubt we will ever know for certain the real reason.

Dragon Rapide

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:UKAR policy is only to review shows we attend as paying customers. If the show isn't attractive enough to lure people to part with their money, it won't be reviewed. There's no obligation for anyone on UKAR Staff to attend a show they have no interest in attending, regardless of the size of the event.

There was attendance from other forum participants, who with prior notice, could easily have written something or do reviews have to be written by staff members?

It seems odd for one the UK's largest and most famous airshows to be missing from the reviewed list but I suppose judging from previous comments, entirely expected.

Russ

Post by Russ »

Probably 'cause it's a ghastly airshow, with even the basics wrong. Who could blame anyone for not parting with their money/time and wishing not to review it from the staff team?

Although I guess they could just republish any of the previous Farnborough reviews and just change the participants a tiny bit. The song remains the same. :whistle:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Ghastly? Not the show I went to this year. As I said on another thread, those that went mostly thought it was OK. Those that didn't go hated it......

True enough though, I'd rather have a review and opinions from someone who actually went.....

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

DerekF wrote:Ghastly? Not the show I went to this year. As I said on another thread, those that went mostly thought it was OK. Those that didn't go hated it......

True enough though, I'd rather have a review and opinions from someone who actually went.....

It does seem almost a fashion to knock Farnborough but at this post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=74035, shows it's still the second best display in the country. I know it is disappointing that so much of the trade stuff leaves but that doesn't detract from the fact that the display line up is really good/varied. I go on a trade day when the display is too short and the public display line up this year had most of the highlights of the trade day displays and a bit more. It is flawed and you do feel it could be much better but it doesn't deserve the bad press it gets here especially as so much of that comes from people who don't go.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Why does that thread show its "the second best display in the country"?

Farnborough has interesting stuff, usually crammed into the poorly arranged static park. It has some good items in the flying display which unfortunately have to display very high and far away to the watching customers. Its also comparatively expensive for the general public who see very few items that can't be seen elsewhere displaying, yes I know there are exceptions.

Don't see how that offers a better experience than an intimate day at Old Warden, especially when you have the excellent on theme Fly Navy Day as a comparison.

The biggest disappointment with Farnborough these days, is so much has gone before the weekend, that never used to happen and that is why the thread title is spot on. Farnborough should be about new technology and aircraft. We know about trade tickets, but it shouldn't come down to that, it never used to, and the fact remains the trade days had so little flying each day, boredom probably would set in.

However, I still don't know why someone else who attended cannot write a review and send it in. Its a UK show that should be covered here, simply due to its size and nature. :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

capercaillie wrote:Why does that thread show its "the second best display in the country"?

Farnborough has interesting stuff, usually crammed into the poorly arranged static park. It has some good items in the flying display which unfortunately have to display very high and far away to the watching customers. Its also comparatively expensive for the general public who see very few items that can't be seen elsewhere displaying, yes I know there are exceptions.

Don't see how that offers a better experience than an intimate day at Old Warden, especially when you have the excellent on theme Fly Navy Day as a comparison.

The biggest disappointment with Farnborough these days, is so much has gone before the weekend, that never used to happen and that is why the thread title is spot on. Farnborough should be about new technology and aircraft. We know about trade tickets, but it shouldn't come down to that, it never used to, and the fact remains the trade days had so little flying each day, boredom probably would set in.

However, I still don't know why someone else who attended cannot write a review and send it in. Its a UK show that should be covered here, simply due to its size and nature. :dunno:

Actually stuff leaving before the weekend has been happening for at least a decade

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

parsley wrote:
capercaillie wrote:Why does that thread show its "the second best display in the country"?

Actually stuff leaving before the weekend has been happening for at least a decade

Concur, the French in particular have a long history of doing it. Bet they didn't at Paris.....

John

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
parsley wrote:

Concur, the French in particular have a long history of doing it. Bet they didn't at Paris.....
John

Bombardier have increasingly had form on that front as well....wasn't it all gone by Thursday this year with the CS100 leaving to sit at Luton over the public days ?

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

parsley wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:
parsley wrote:

John

Bombardier have increasingly had form on that front as well.... with the CS100 leaving to sit at Luton over the public days ?

spoken by someone who clearly doesn't understand the concept of a trade show!

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Rampvan wrote:
parsley wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:
parsley wrote:

John

Bombardier have increasingly had form on that front as well.... with the CS100 leaving to sit at Luton over the public days ?

spoken by someone who clearly doesn't understand the concept of a trade show!

Actually working in part of the "trade" for just under 40 years I fully understand the concept and the various reasons participants may leave but thank you for your assumption anyway,it's hugely appreciated.

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Im sorry, but if that is the case I fail to understand why your complaining about aircraft leaving Farnborough early instead of giving the reasons behind them leaving :dunno:

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

In Farnborough's good old days we went on a trade day and a public day and one of the highlights was the trade halls. The diversity of exhibitors was incredible and perhaps as a change from selling to customers the reps on the stands couldn't have been more accommodating towards an enthusiastic lad with loads of questions!!

Are the trade halls open on Saturday and Sunday these days?

Dragon Rapide

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Im afraid they are not, but they are open on the futures days, however talking to the stall holders tge kids went through the halls like a swarm of locusts !!! So yes the old days are gone, bit like RIATs 500 aircraft airshow im afraid !

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Oh now don't remind me of those GREAT shows! You'll get me all weepy!!!

Dragon Rapide

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Rampvan wrote:Im sorry, but if that is the case I fail to understand why your complaining about aircraft leaving Farnborough early instead of giving the reasons behind them leaving :dunno:

Hi Rampvan...did reply but doesn't appear to have appeared...could be related to the sad death of my coffee perculator this morning !!..I certainly wasn't complaining,as said I'm very aware that there are various reasons why aircraft may leave after the trade days (such as delivery/flight test/production demands) and a manufacturer having an airframe out of the loop,if you include the flight home after the weekend for perhaps 5-6 days in addition to the time spent at the trade part of the show...time is money

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

parsley wrote:
Rampvan wrote:Im sorry, but if that is the case I fail to understand why your complaining about aircraft leaving Farnborough early instead of giving the reasons behind them leaving :dunno:

Hi Rampvan...did reply but doesn't appear to have appeared...could be related to the sad death of my coffee perculator this morning !!..I certainly wasn't complaining,as said I'm very aware that there are various reasons why aircraft may leave after the trade days (such as delivery/flight test/production demands) and a manufacturer having an airframe out of the loop,if you include the flight home after the weekend for perhaps 5-6 days in addition to the time spent at the trade part of the show...time is money

So you do understand why the CS100 was parked at Luton for the public days...........perhaps your question mark in you first post on the subject threw me !

"with the CS100 leaving to sit at Luton over the public days ? :smile:

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Rampvan wrote:
parsley wrote:

So you do understand why the CS100 was parked at Luton for the public days...........perhaps your question mark in you first post on the subject threw me !

"with the CS100 leaving to sit at Luton over the public days ? :smile:

Yes I noticed that question mark this morning...that'll teach me for using one of those new fangled I-pad type things !!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

parsley wrote:Actually stuff leaving before the weekend has been happening for at least a decade

A decade, wow, I didn't realise the show had been running that long. :shock:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/