Farnborough - a shadow of its former self?

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
iainpeden

Re: farnborough - a shadow of its former self~?

Post by iainpeden »

Afraid it's the rose tinted specs! I was thinking back to RAF display a/c in the 1980s:Lightning, Phantom, Harrier, Jaguar, Buccaneer, Tornado GR1 and F2/3, Nimrod, Hercules, Vulcan, Sea Harrier and sometimes a Victor. Now we are down to the Typhoon and maybe, the Lightning II.

There are simply not the aircraft about that there were.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Of course the variety isn't there any more, but there's no denying Farnborough is extremely lazy, especially on the public days, booking a lineup which would be average at some seaside freebie shows.

Charging the prices they are, for what they offer is a scandal, and is complacency born out of the fact that they know they'll attract London families regardless of what's in the programme because it'll be their only show of the year/two years.

Tim N

Post by Tim N »

FIA flying displays in recent years have been like the post Shoreham shows we are currently enduring.........high and distant.
Add to the mix that it's overcrowded with ridiculous parking arrangements and its a non starter for me.

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Of course the variety isn't there any more, but there's no denying Farnborough is extremely lazy, especially on the public days, booking a lineup which would be average at some seaside freebie shows.

Charging the prices they are, for what they offer is a scandal, and is complacency born out of the fact that they know they'll attract London families regardless of what's in the programme because it'll be their only show of the year/two years.

It's been like this for a while, but with this year's line up I'm hoping it'll be the last time they get away with it...

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

iainpeden wrote:Afraid it's the rose tinted specs! I was thinking back to RAF display a/c in the 1980s:Lightning, Phantom, Harrier, Jaguar, Buccaneer, Tornado GR1 and F2/3, Nimrod, Hercules, Vulcan, Sea Harrier and sometimes a Victor. Now we are down to the Typhoon and maybe, the Lightning II.

There are simply not the aircraft about that there were.

Absolutely spot-on with that...& the preceding 30 years! The aircraft manufacturing & associated industry has all but disappeared in the UK now. Everything now is tightly cost-driven to the point of squeaking! Forget those halcyon days of returning from Farnborough with bags of goodies & perhaps a freebie 'resin' ( oh!... that hadn't been invented!) model.
The great un-washed public don't get to access the Trade-halls during their visit & as there is zero prospect of them ordering any new aircraft, they're gone by then too! Surely the General Public will wake-up & smell the coffee this year when the RAFAT land after 2 passes? Only then (maybe ?) will these biannual mega-mugging days cease!
Simplest way to reduce risk to the local populace is to reduce the event by two /three days?

Dan O'Hagan

Re: Farnborough - a shadow of its former self?

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Enthusiasts appear of low importance to FIA, hence why the content gets thinner every two years. Charging the best part of £50 for what's on offer this year, especially with the new restrictions, is quite obscene.

The poll on this forum said less than 10% of members who'd voted planned to attend the public days. Had that poll been run ten years ago, I'd wager it would have been nearer 50% or more. Farnborough's name with the enthusiast is mud, but they'll keep on milking the public teat for a while longer.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

No your specs are NOT rose tinted. That was the reality. The older days were better and hugely diverse and apart from some early IATS and the odd Mildenhall, Farnboroughs were unforgettable. But the aviation world has changed almost out of recognition so we should not be surprised. But the organisers' attitude to the Public Days is arrogantly cavalier and needs to be addressed next time - if there IS a next time!!
Last edited by Dragon Rapide on Mon 11 Jul 2016, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

I returned today wet, but did have a bag full of gizits :-) and i will have another bag full tomorrow :-) and the next and the next and the next :tongue:

Steve Thomson

Post by Steve Thomson »

I bet the weather was and still is better in September.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Rampvan wrote:I returned today wet, but did have a bag full of gizits :-) and i will have another bag full tomorrow :-) and the next and the next and the next :tongue:

Because a couple of biros and a keyring excuse a terrible, terrible airshow?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

At a trade show? A few gizzits are always welcome.

I wonder if Richard Branson turned up this morning and went "well this is rubbish, the Swedish Historic Flight, the Vulcan, and the RAF Typhoon aren't displaying. Sod it, I won't buy 12 A350s here!"

:wall:

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Rampvan wrote:I returned today wet, but did have a bag full of gizits :-) and i will have another bag full tomorrow :-) and the next and the next and the next :tongue:

Because a couple of biros and a keyring excuse a terrible, terrible airshow?

Was only replying to an earlier post mate! and it was a bit more than Biros and a keyring!! get off your horse!! why do you have such a downer on RIAT and Farnborough? are you holding a grudge against one or both of these shows, I know you weren't invited back to RIAT to commentate but what has Farnborough done to deserve your wrath?

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

I've been back to RIAT since, and would have attended this year had I not other plans.

Farnborough is a poor airshow which charges far too much, for far too little.

Don't you go for free, anyway?

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Apart from today(at RIAT) I have been at Farnborough for the last week and seen every display practice/validation. The 727 is good, as is the F-35 and F-18. Im afraid the warbird displays were cringe worthy. The Spitfire display consisted of passes at 500ftish followed by a climbing turn and repeat three times. The Lockheed Electra had the turning circle of a B-52! From a point of view of attending at the weekend do not bother.

However that is not Farnborough is about for me. We have some interesting aircraft in the static (Mi-8,HC-27, 747-8, Swedish ATR, An-0124, An-174,KC-390 etc) that we may never clap eyes on again. There must have been over 200 different bizjets in last week too, and quite a few news ones today. For a reg spotter it has been a real fest. Thankfully the Pegasus enclosure ,provided free of charge by the airshow, has also allowed some good photos. Over all I'm satisfied with this year, its not outstanding but not a dismal failure either.

However I feel that 2016 could be the final public display, going all trade mon-Thursday. It will happen one show!

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

and now we have C130J 99-1431 which arrived at 21.15 tonight.

effects

Post by effects »

So, Tuesday's show is 2hrs 35mins long,
1 mixed mil flyby
2 mil transport
4 fast jets
1 adv jet trainer
1 mpa
1 mil trainer
2 mil helos
2 new airliners
2 current airliners
2 commuter types
1 old airliner- which has a very current role.
I think there would be quite a few places happy with that line up.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:I've been back to RIAT since, and would have attended this year had I not other plans.

Farnborough is a poor airshow which charges far too much, for far too little.

Don't you go for free, anyway?

I don't need to go into see the show, I'm local, however, I have paid in the past to go on trade days just because there is more to an airshow than just the flying, especially Farnborough. the last few shows I have worked there so havn't had to pay as you say, to get in. If I wasnt working I would go though...but only on a trade day !

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Never had a problem getting trade tickets ! Just need to apply for one through the appropriate form on the website

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

aknott68 wrote:
Rampvan wrote:Never had a problem getting trade tickets ! Just need to apply for one through the appropriate form on the website

thanks Rampvan, I'll have to have a look next time the airshow comes around ;0)

And of course what normally happens is that some of the static display aircraft are gone by the time the public days start

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

parsley wrote:
aknott68 wrote:
Rampvan wrote:Never had a problem getting trade tickets ! Just need to apply for one through the appropriate form on the website

thanks Rampvan, I'll have to have a look next time the airshow comes around ;0)

And of course what normally happens is that some of the static display aircraft are gone by the time the public days start

Hence the reason we are talking about trade day tickets :whistle:

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

To be honest, I think trade day tickets may be a bit disappointing to some enthusiasts:

Good for the spotters who just want the numbers
Best flying views bar none
No crowds and relatively easy access
Easy access to the fence
Even a free seat in the grandstand
A bit cheaper

But

Flying is very limited and in between great views of the heavies many of the others get lost in the Farnborough skies
Flying display very short and to add insult, the first half an hour is a few hand held drones
Static is diabolically laid out and tight and completely useless for viewing and pictures
Just getting around the static is a nightmare with the fencing arrangement
The halls are of no interest to the average bod, they are mainly component and auxiliary manufacturers.
The big show manufacturers are all in private halls with no access. In the Halcyon days talked about they were in the main halls
Visiting aircraft less than on a normal day and yesterday I was surprised at the death of helicopter traffic which used to be non stop.
No shopping and limited food
Can't take families
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Back in the "good old days" we went on the Friday and got the best of both worlds and occasionally Saturday as well!! And the halls were always extremely interesting and informative.

Dragon Rapide

rocketeer

Post by rocketeer »

I've lived in Farnborough for 54 years and worked at RAE(ah memories) for 23 of those and can say that IHO that this years show is the dullest I've ever seen.
You've got to except that its a different world now and unfortunately the excitement has gone!
I wonder why anyone pays £££s for what's left!

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

I think it's fair to say that all shows are a shadow of their glory years ,just not the variety there used to be

eg-Abington 1990
Spitfire
Harvard Formation Team
Tornado F3
Tornado Gr1
Canberra
F16
Chinook
B17
A10
Phantom
Vulcan
Buccaneer
Patrouille de France
Airfield Attack
Jet Provost
Lynx
Jaguar
Hawk
B-17
Catalina
Shackleton
Nimrod
BOB Memorial Flight
EC125
F111
Gr5 Harrier
Alphajet
F18
Hercules
Mirage 200
Red Arrows
Swordfish
Tornado/Hind flypast

Hind/Gladiator
Mosquito
Sea King
Blue Eagles
The Grasshoppers
Puma

plus a few other bits and pieces

add to that list a 150 aircraft ( Battle of Britain ) fly by and I think there's something for everyone there

how much would you pay to see that line-up ?
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Dragon Rapide