Newbie to the show looking for advice.

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
PeteW

Newbie to the show looking for advice.

Post by PeteW »

Wife and I have been gifted tickets to Saturdays show and it’s my first time visiting so hoping I can get some advice from your good selves about how best to enjoy the day. I did RIAT last week so getting front and centre is not a top priority this time but I do want a good location for photos. So a bit of help if you can on the following. I’m driving from Reading so what is the parking situation like and what time should I be looking to arrive. Once in, where should I head to drop of the chairs and then where should I be going. Any help or tips on the show greatly appreciated from those in the know :worship: . Thanks

wv383

Re: Newbie to the show looking for advice.

Post by wv383 »

Arrive at car parks as early as possible as the roads become very congested. All parking is off site and opens around 7.30am and free shuttle buses operate to the show. As you are coming from Reading I assume that you will be going via Hartley Wintney. Follow AA Air Show signs from there. Do NOT use satnav as it will direct you to totally the wrong part of the airfield. As you get closer to the show, signs will incorporate parking signs and arrows (White P on blue background). These will direct you to the car park for the direction from which you are travelling. I would guess that this would put you either at Eelmoor Bridge or the Eelmoor Drifing Ground, both of which are on the A323 Fleet to Aldershot road. At the end of the show, this road is closed to all but airshow traffic heading in the Fleet, Hartley Wintney etc directions. Watch out for lane markers as from Eelmoor Bridge onwards, it becomes one-way with alternative lanes for different directions.

On site, the flightline is quite long but if you want to be roughly in the centre, head towards the opposite end of the airfield to the Trade Halls (which are not open on the public weekend) and look out for the big hospitality tent on the crowdline. Display Centre is in front of that, beyond a point level with the control tower on the opposite side of the airfield. Runway shots can be good due to how the land lies. Do NOT attempt to drop off your chairs as you might do at other shows. It is not permitted at Farnborough and unattended chairs etc are removed. There are signs on all the crowdline barriers warning about this. there are loads of activities organised for families which are centred around the Farnborough Live stage and the static aircraft, which are closely barriered so difficulty for photography, stretch the whole length of the site. One end to the other is approx one mile. That is straight line and not taking into account wandering! One thing to be very aware of is that the main walkway along the crowdline is closed off at certain times. This is the area in front of the Airbus aircraft which will be in the display (A380, A350 & A400M). As they have to be towed out well before their display time, anyone in that area is moved to one side and the whole area cleared. It is like this for about 30 minutes before their display time (usually at the beginning of the flying display which is 1230 on Saturday and Sunday) and stays like this until they are towed back in once they have finished. It is possible to pass but only if you take the walkway that runs behind the static aircraft in that area.

A word about getting in and out of the show. Queues build up rapidly at the entrance. This is mainly due to the heavy security which is the same as the sort of thing that you get at Heathrow and Gatwick. All bags are X-rayed and all keys, phones, loose change, belts with metal buckles etc must be removed and placed in a tray to go through the X-ray machines as well. You then have to walk through an airport style detector gate. These gates do not open officially until 9.30am. If you stay until the end of the show, be prepared for a long wait for the shuttle bus back to the car park. If you are able to, it is possible to walk back to the car park (approx one mile). Just follow the crowd. This problem doesn't occur so much if you decide to leave the show before the end of the flying display.

Due to the torrential rain yesterday with further showers today and also expected tomorrow, make sure you have good footwear as some ares are now very muddy indeed. The crowdline is partly grass and partly hard (concrete or tarmac).

Food, if you don't bring your own, there are loads of food wagons which are congregated in three areas (at each end of the crowdline and in the middle). Be aware though that it is standard airshow fare, is not great but prices are high.

Hope all that helps.
Simon

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

PeteW wrote:Wife and I have been gifted tickets to Saturdays show and it’s my first time visiting so hoping I can get some advice from your good selves about how best to enjoy the day. I did RIAT last week so getting front and centre is not a top priority this time but I do want a good location for photos. So a bit of help if you can on the following. I’m driving from Reading so what is the parking situation like and what time should I be looking to arrive. Once in, where should I head to drop of the chairs and then where should I be going. Any help or tips on the show greatly appreciated from those in the know :worship: . Thanks

You've done RIAT before but not Farnborough? I think you'll be unpleasantly shocked!

I can honestly say, if I was offered free tickets and free transport I still wouldn't attend after my experiences in 2010 & 2014. Make of that what you will! :grin:

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Ok you can either park on Queens Paradeand get the (slow) shuttle bus or get some advise from a local. From Reading take the A327 towards Blackbushe then into Fleet. Go past Fleet Station up the high street and turn left towards Aldershot. Keep on the road, over the roundabout, and you will come to the I gate car park across the bridge on the left. This is on airport and next to the end of runway 24. You will need to get here before 9 as it fills up. Walk down to the end of the car park and there is a short bus journey to the security area and you are inside the show. This car park gives you the option of going back to the car to watch the flying. However for runway shots you will need a step ladder due to the height of the fence.. The show ground will get packed very quickly. My modest photographic efforts, from this area, can be seen here https://www.flickr.com/photos/farnboroughrob/
I believe the show has a rule on no unattended seating windbreaks etc, they are removed..

PeteW

Post by PeteW »

Thank you gentlemen for the feedback, some good advice and very much appreciated. Adie1980 - I'll let you know what you missed :tongue:

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

PeteW wrote:Wife and I have been gifted tickets to Saturdays show and it’s my first time visiting so hoping I can get some advice from your good selves about how best to enjoy the day. I did RIAT last week so getting front and centre is not a top priority this time but I do want a good location for photos. So a bit of help if you can on the following. I’m driving from Reading so what is the parking situation like and what time should I be looking to arrive. Once in, where should I head to drop of the chairs and then where should I be going. Any help or tips on the show greatly appreciated from those in the know :worship: . Thanks

Walk to the crowd line then walk left until your path is block by the grandstands bush patterned tarp wrapped fencing and look for three fluorescent structures in a line on the grass the across the runway ,that is display center

Yesterday the grass was sodden, pray for no more rain