Farnborough International Airshow 2018

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
Airshowhammer

Re: Farnborough International Airshow 2018

Post by Airshowhammer »

That addition might sway me. Anything to hear the Rolls Royce Pegasus engine again! :love:

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

I agree! Not many aircraft would encourage me to attend FIA but the Harrier is certainly worth the trip :yahoo:

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

I was hoping I won't need to attend the dreadful show, especially at £42.00! But the Harrier is an extremely attractive proposition...

frank

Post by frank »

It displayed on the Friday in 2014 for definite

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Validations today between 3:15pm and 3:45pm and 3:30pm to 4pm tomorrow.
Anyone have any ideas what might be flying?

Harlequin67
UKAR Supporter

Post by Harlequin67 »

A quick note, 2 aircraft from the Blades Display Team have landed earlier.....could be related to the validations? Time will tell.
Aviation photographer - Achievement unlocked

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Yep, just seen 3 of the Blades aircraft parked up by Gama Maintenence, must be them.

effects

Post by effects »

Saw them display this afternoon.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

effects wrote:Saw them display this afternoon.

Yep me too, outside the TAG hangars! Ground pyrotechnics were LOUD haha :dizzy:
Only 3 ship display though?

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Adie1980 wrote:Only 3 ship display though?

Yep, Mike Ling was going to display with them this year but is flying with the Red Arrows instead.

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:
Adie1980 wrote:Only 3 ship display though?

Yep, Mike Ling was going to display with them this year but is flying with the Red Arrows instead.

Ah yes, of course.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

It's official... the headline act of the Farnborough International Airshow has been formally announced by the organisers today....

.... it's a huge international act/prototype you're all thinking for such a major international trade/public show

It's.......

THE BLADES!!! :lmao:

Seriously, nothing against the Blades but for FIA to say they are the Headline Act is embarrassingly pathetic for what was up until recently one of the worlds most anticipated bi-annual airshows!

I'm not joking the press release says they are the Headline act...

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Surely they are not being serious... :dizzy:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

When I was a child in the '90s Farnborough was my favourite airshow. It was what started my fascination with Russian aircraft and was the venue where I first saw so many amazing prototypes or new production aircraft. Although i've not attended Farnborough since 2012, the airshow still held a place in my heart and I really hoped to go back some day but *everything* about this airshow is just depressing. The useless advertising created by people that clearly have no interest in aviation and no understanding of Farnborough's historic importance, the useless participation (the highlight is a jet that's over 30 years old), the ridiculous flying display lines. It really is depressing.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

I have to be honest i was buzzing with the announcement of the Spanish Navy Harrier and honestly thought this was the start of some interesting announcements, but seeing the Blades announced as a headline act just baffles me.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

I feel almost blackmailed, having pretty much no option but to attend this awful show to see the Harrier.

FlashGordon

Post by FlashGordon »

You could just stand outside and see the Harrier for free. Plenty of decent vantage spots.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

4yrs ago they were planning on having the F35 do a set routine with the Harrier as a kinda then/now/old/new thing ,they paid allot of money to get the Spanish Harrier to attend and work up a routine ,sadly that year the F35 cancelled its inaugural trip to the U.K.but they(Harriers) attended anyhow and displayed solo,I guess they couldn’t attend 2yrs back so this is a case of third time lucky ?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:I feel almost blackmailed, having pretty much no option but to attend this awful show to see the Harrier.

You could always go to Spain, or Thailand, or the US? Make a holiday out of it, it'll certainly be more enjoyable than going to FIA to see one aircraft!

scudpilot

Post by scudpilot »

lynothehammer wrote:I have to be honest i was buzzing with the announcement of the Spanish Navy Harrier and honestly thought this was the start of some interesting announcements, but seeing the Blades announced as a headline act just baffles me.

Is if definitely confirmed that it's the Spanish bird?

wv383

Post by wv383 »

lynothehammer wrote:I have to be honest i was buzzing with the announcement of the Spanish Navy Harrier and honestly thought this was the start of some interesting announcements, but seeing the Blades announced as a headline act just baffles me.

It's down to money. 2Excel pump a lot of money into the show and provide a lot of corporate flights. It's a bit like the utterly boring Starduster Too. It only gets to be there because of commercial connections. Two years ago on the public days they put it on straight after Rich Goodwin's amazing Pitts display and there was a collective yawn the whole length of the crowdline.
Simon

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

lynothehammer wrote:but seeing the Blades announced as a headline act just baffles me.

Embarrassing. A show which needs putting out of its misery.

The Bladezzzzzzzzz would struggle to be a headline act in my back garden, let alone at one of the most expensive airshows on the calendar. Red Arrows egos in Mickey Mouse aeroplanes. A poor man's Royal Jordanian Falcons, but with much, much worse livery.

Has it been announced if the aerobatic display line will be the same as 2016?

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I agree with your whole post, Dan, except for that I genuinely think the Blades are better than the RJF - if only for that weird half-crabbing formation pass.

Amp

Post by Amp »

Sadly, I too agree that from an enthusiast point of view the weekend listing is looking poor, however this is tagged onto a great trade show with some very unusual types and liveries. Sure a handful will depart early, but I believe the weekend event is aimed in part at the local families who will perhaps be thrilled by Blades and wing-walkers etc. The hardcore enthusiast has RIAT and Legends the weekend before. This is just a personal opinion. I look forward to Tuesday and Wednesday at the show, hopeful it won't rain!

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Yeah, but the catch 22 is that Harrier! DBH please put us out of our misery and book it!! I'd rather stick my todger in stinging nettles than have to go to Farnborough again! unless in a TARDIS...