Farnborough International Airshow 2018

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
parsley
UKAR Supporter

Re: Farnborough International Airshow 2018

Post by parsley »

lambo17841 wrote:ATR 72 just landed with a F- reg and a PK WJG reg under the wing.c/n 1488

John

The ATR is the one that popped in yesterday lunchtime.....

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

For the attention of the mods and humble apologies to Lambo but when initially replying to his post about the ATR arriving this evening I accidently hit the report button instead of reply without noticing and then submitted it.

Again apologies for this senior moment :oops:

Paul

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

the social media team seem utterly useless, having seen a provisional line up for tomorrows flying i'd be very disappointed as most of the Red Bull stuff isn't even on it... :(

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

parsley wrote:For the attention of the mods and humble apologies to Lambo but when initially replying to his post about the ATR arriving this evening I accidently hit the report button instead of reply without noticing and then submitted it.

Again apologies for this senior moment :oops:

Paul

No problem, I've banned him for you... :wink:

alisdairanderson

Post by alisdairanderson »

lynothehammer wrote:kc390, P8 & Antonov 124 all left this morning..

A Delta CRJ (C-GIAU) also departed at lunchtime.

Thx
Alisdair

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

What's the issue with the F-16s? Reading some reports they've only been able to perform one display out of the few planned.

Amp

Post by Amp »

I thought the P-8 returned? Did not see the F-16s or the Spanish AV-8B today, perhaps north side? Otherwise a very broad selection, although down in numbers. There did not seem to be many people attending today either. Only moan would be that it was just too hot to be outside, (better than too wet two years ago) so much more time was spent inside the colder halls. The security and bag checking pre boarding the buses from car park was much improved too, drove straight in and was whisked directly to the show-ground.

alisdairanderson

Jakub.Zurek wrote:What's the issue with the F-16s? Reading some reports they've only been able to perform one display out of the few planned.

One F16 arrived at 12:20 (91 361) and then parked over the farside.

It then sounded like an F-16 was powered-up over there, in its booked slot timing but it never ventured out, and I think they said they would move the 727/blades timings to slightly earlier.

Thx
Alisdair

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Hope being banned was just a joke

John

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

https://www.farnboroughairshow.com/trade/aircraft/

If you search via date, it gives today's display times (no idea if it's accurate), all about the Harrier for me at , hopefully, 2.11pm
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

alisdairanderson

alisdairanderson wrote:
lynothehammer wrote:kc390, P8 & Antonov 124 all left this morning..

A Delta CRJ (C-GIAU) also departed at lunchtime.

thanks
Alisdair

And on FR24 it looked like the Qatar A350-1000 and 777-300ER both have departed last night...

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

pbeardmore wrote:https://www.farnboroughairshow.com/media/318797/friday-timetable.pdf

I'd have thought the the Flying Bulls would be added to the line up.
Last edited by lynothehammer on Fri 20 Jul 2018, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

It was marketed as "FAB Friday", others can choose more appropriate "F Words" as it clearly was not FAB,

I did get to a pub called The Gloster to say farewell to the Harrier (hard to imagine seeing a future display) as it swooped right over our heads, just wonderful, what an utterly superb aircraft, really FAB IMHO

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Just got back from FIA was on site, rubbish day flying display was not inspiring which was the whole point of the day. Harrier did a nice display and a nice hover in front of me however that was it. Glad I got a free ticket for today would have been very annoyed if not. Halls which are meant to be open all the companies where packing up by mid afternoon. Other things that annoyed me being told i could not sit somewhere due to aircraft taxing in front of me same as Duxford. Barriers are very close to aircraft cannot get nice shots but thats aways been a problem. :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed:
Thomas

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Tom105 wrote:Other things that annoyed me being told i could not sit somewhere due to aircraft taxing in front of me same as Duxford.

That's the first time I've ever heard of something like this. Surely if there's somewhere you can't sit or a place the show doesn't want any people to be at, they fence it off etc...?

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:
Tom105 wrote:Other things that annoyed me being told i could not sit somewhere due to aircraft taxing in front of me same as Duxford.

That's the first time I've ever heard of something like this. Surely if there's somewhere you can't sit or a place the show doesn't want any people to be at, they fence it off etc...?

They allowed an area to fill up only for a bloke to come along over and kick us out, no warning in other area there were signs but not here many people were not amused.
Thomas

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

I can confirm there is only one place you can view anything from outside and that's just by The Swan (which was charging £40 a table!)

Presumably the entry fee goes towards paying people to stand in the woods and even along the Basingstoke canal and stop anyone from getting anywhere near....

It was nice to see the Harrier from afar but even if I'd paid to get in it probably would not have been as good as the old days by the seaside with the RAF.

the OSR (was it A or B?) 727 stole the show for me :clap:

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

I think it says a lot about the state of FIA if a 727 and a Harrier have taken best display!
Thomas

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Tom105 wrote:They allowed an area to fill up only for a bloke to come along over and kick us out, no warning in other area there were signs but not here many people were not amused.

Which place is this if you don't mind me asking? I don't want to turn up and set myself up for the day to then be told to have to move :dunno:

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

It was a patch of grass on the fence line to right where the reds are now park next to some metal pads where an aircraft had been park during the week and behind is the Embraer legacy 500.
Thomas

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Tom105 wrote:It was a patch of grass on the fence line to right where the reds are now park next to some metal pads where an aircraft had been park during the week and behind is the Embraer legacy 500.

Sounds like the area where they move the displaying aircraft out during the week, based on static for the morning.

wv383

Post by wv383 »

lynothehammer wrote:
pbeardmore wrote:https://www.farnboroughairshow.com/media/318797/friday-timetable.pdf

I'd have thought the the Flying Bulls would be added to the line up.

Unfortunately they were only ever booked for the Saturday & Sunday.
Simon

wv383

Post by wv383 »

lynothehammer wrote:the social media team seem utterly useless, having seen a provisional line up for tomorrows flying i'd be very disappointed as most of the Red Bull stuff isn't even on it... :(

Trouble was the organisers only booked them for the actual public days & didn't include the Friday despite the fact that they're actually here!
Simon

wv383

Post by wv383 »

tankbuster wrote:I think I must go to a different show to everybody else. I went today and thought it was pretty good.

I thought the flying was good, not brilliant but OK. The LM100 was a bit of a disappointment as it's display was about 1/2 the duration and 1/2 the aerobatics of when I saw it in validation. Still good but somebody seems to have held it back for the live show. I like seeing big airliners being thrown around and generally within the confines of the airfield. The A350 100 and A330 Neo were both very good IMHO. The 727 water drop is a sight worthy of any show. The static is pretty much the same format as recent years although I felt there more ability to move in a straight line than the last few shows but that's a lot of different airframes. Take away the French involvement and it would be just as good as Fairford for me although obviously much shorter. With the French RIAT wins hands down.

The pilot aborted his display as his radar depicted multiple hits of encroaching aircraft. Turned out it was the fault of exhibitors in the halls doing demos which they're not supposed to do when there is display flying going on.
Simon