Parking / Transportation to the Show

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
planegeek1

Parking / Transportation to the Show

Post by planegeek1 »

Hi - I am completely new to the forum and I would appreciate your thoughts on the parking arrangements at the show over the public weekend.

We will be driving down from Cheltenham with two young kiddies (adverse to walking long distances) in tow expecting to arrive around midday Saturday. Do you think the general carparks will be completely full by then? or should I try to leave the car somewhere and get a bus or taxi or uber into the show? What would you do in this situation? Thank you in advance for your advice.

effects

Re: Parking / Transportation to the Show

Post by effects »

You seriously need to leave home very early, to arrive at Farnborough before 0900 maybe earlier. When I used to pay to go in the best car park to aim for is the one up the west end, shuttle bus to and from the main display area, it is also possible to watch the flying display from the car.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

planegeek1

Post by planegeek1 »

Thanks. I have tagged a bunch of free viewing spots as Plan C. Trying to pin down Plans A and B first.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Ok as a local you need to get there before 10am, by 12 the car parks will be full and you will probably be denied entry. You can park in the town centre at any time(around £4 all day), probably best to head for the multistory by the cinema (Pinehust car park). From here it is a 15-20min walk into the show https://www.rushmoor.gov.uk/article/477 ... y-car-park

If you can arrive before 10 I can tell you a mostly traffic free route to the best car park (I gate), exit M3 at jcn 4a and take the Farnborough sign, this takes you to a set of lights turn left, and left at the roundabout. You will have a large BMW building on your left, at this roundabout go back on yourself then immediate left into Kennels lane. Follow this to the end and go right, continue straight down until a big roundabout and take 2nd exit towards Aldershot, carpark is 1 1/2 miles on the left. If that carpark is full they will direct you to Rushmoor arena and then its a slow shuttle bust to the show.
The alternative viewing bspots are less usefull now due to the display line being moved westwards. There is Southwood park, take directions above but it is opposite the BMW building (ex Nokia), you need to go past it on the main road and then find parking among the houses. You will only see the larger/faster aircraft here due trees but many will turn over your head. Further down is Morrisons Supermarket whose carpark gives a fair view

Costar1198

Post by Costar1198 »

farnboroughrob wrote:The alternative viewing bspots are less usefull now due to the display line being moved westwards. There is Southwood park, take directions above but it is opposite the BMW building (ex Nokia), you need to go past it on the main road and then find parking among the houses. You will only see the larger/faster aircraft here due trees but many will turn over your head. Further down is Morrisons Supermarket whose carpark gives a fair view

Just out of interest would the Costco car park or at a push the air sciences trust museum be a good spot? Would like to get quite close to the harrier but not sure what would be cordoned off

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Costar1198 wrote:
farnboroughrob wrote:The alternative viewing bspots are less usefull now due to the display line being moved westwards. There is Southwood park, take directions above but it is opposite the BMW building (ex Nokia), you need to go past it on the main road and then find parking among the houses. You will only see the larger/faster aircraft here due trees but many will turn over your head. Further down is Morrisons Supermarket whose carpark gives a fair view

Just out of interest would the Costco car park or at a push the air sciences trust museum be a good spot? Would like to get quite close to the harrier but not sure what would be cordoned off

Museum is closed for the duration, oftern for private events. Costco is within a restricted zone so you need to show a membership card to get in. The whole area where Costco is, and that office park is cordoned off. Along the main road on that side , Iveley Road, you are restricted to standing on the pavements. They get packed and the local parks are much easier. An alternative is the top of the multi story in the town, distant views but great for when the turn finals.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

planegeek1 wrote:What would you do in this situation?

Reassess my choice and go to a proper airshow most likely. :grin:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Costar1198

Post by Costar1198 »

farnboroughrob wrote:
Costar1198 wrote:

Museum is closed for the duration, oftern for private events. Costco is within a restricted zone so you need to show a membership card to get in. The whole area where Costco is, and that office park is cordoned off. Along the main road on that side , Iveley Road, you are restricted to standing on the pavements. They get packed and the local parks are much easier. An alternative is the top of the multi story in the town, distant views but great for when the turn finals.

Surprised about that to be honest, Would have expected that area to be open *cough needs to go to Costa for tea cough*, With the A road by the museum as well that wouldn't be available to stand next to on pavement would it? Hmm... Maybe my dream of seeing the harrier once more might be a bit harder than initially thought...

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Basically if it is not a public road/pavement then it is not open. The Costco area is a private estate so they close it off. If you want a decent view of the harrier then you need to pay to go in. Otherwise you will catch glimpses of it hight/fast but wont see much low/slow manoeuvring in front of the crowd at all from outside.

Costar1198

Post by Costar1198 »

farnboroughrob wrote:Basically if it is not a public road/pavement then it is not open. The Costco area is a private estate so they close it off. If you want a decent view of the harrier then you need to pay to go in. Otherwise you will catch glimpses of it hight/fast but wont see much low/slow manoeuvring in front of the crowd at all from outside.

Alright, cheers for that, shall see what I can do on my low budget, should be travelling in by train or parking up in the town centre :grin:

planegeek1

Post by planegeek1 »

Thanks for the advice on I Gate. Separately, how far east of the airfield will be impacted by road closure/diversions during that weekend? Would A331 be a better entry point than A325?

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

planegeek1 wrote:Thanks for the advice on I Gate. Separately, how far east of the airfield will be impacted by road closure/diversions during that weekend? Would A331 be a better entry point than A325?

The A331 will be the main signposted route into the show, then off at North Camp and down Lynchford Road into the big off field carpark on Queens Parade. Lynchford Road will be one way, changing direction in the afternoon. That whole area off the A325 will be no parking anywhere and may also be one way morning and evening. They tend not to use Junction 4a for show traffic, leaving that side for the locals so it doesn't gridlock the whole town. The council doesn't seem to have published a traffic plan yet so only basing this on previous years.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Is there still parking at the Laffans Plain end? ie if you were to drive over the pontoon bridge off the A323 Fleet Road? This would be on a trade day.
Looks like it might be designated P7. Thanks for any advice.
...Rad shutters auto.