Cosford 2014 News [MAIN THREAD]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
capercaillie

Re: Cosford 2014 News [MAIN THREAD]

Post by capercaillie »

Reds were in the middle of the day, loads after them including the Vulcan with the RV8s. :dunno: I seem to recall the Blades on towards the end.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Maisie wrote:I left when the Red Arrows started last year and got out fine, think 2 more displays were after that?

:lol:

Missing the Apache, MERT Demo, Chinook, C130, Vulcan, Spitfire XI, BBMF Dakota, Sally B, Blades.

Edit: It has been known to be two hours or more when leaving... :ghost:

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

Traffic can be bad getting out has improved a lot lately and with no GA it should be better getting out this year as all routes will be open immediately after the last display item so should be better this year. The trains are a good bet with extra services but beware there was an incident last year and all trains were halted had to get a lift back at about 7 as trains were still not running. There were record crowds last year and witb a cap on numbers this year there maybe fewer travel issues.
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Flare Path wrote:
Maisie wrote:I left when the Red Arrows started last year and got out fine, think 2 more displays were after that?

:lol:

Missing the Apache, MERT Demo, Chinook, C130, Vulcan, Spitfire XI, BBMF Dakota, Sally B, Blades.

Edit: It has been known to be two hours or more when leaving... :ghost:

I was ill so I had to leave and I only went for the F-86A, feels like I was there all day looking back!
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Post by 106500 »

Been going to Cosford show for years and I find that if you wait around an hour after last display its fairly easy to get out - might have to wait in the exit queue for 15 - 20 minutes but that's all....

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

106500 wrote:Been going to Cosford show for years and I find that if you wait around an hour after last display its fairly easy to get out - might have to wait in the exit queue for 15 - 20 minutes but that's all....

Indeed, there is usually a scrum to get out in the first half hour or so. I usually have another walk around the static for a bit before heading back.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Tommy wrote:
106500 wrote:Been going to Cosford show for years and I find that if you wait around an hour after last display its fairly easy to get out - might have to wait in the exit queue for 15 - 20 minutes but that's all....

Indeed, there is usually a scrum to get out in the first half hour or so. I usually have another walk around the static for a bit before heading back.

I do that at every airshow I go to!
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Domvickery wrote:
Tommy wrote:

I do that at every airshow I go to!

:grin: Yeah, true enough. SOP at an airshow really, along with bringing your own food...

D200

Post by D200 »

Today has not been a good day for the RAF Cosford Air Show, and I regret to announce that our eagerly anticipated international star performer has cancelled. If that isnt bad enough, so has Chinook, which in turn places the MERT display in crisis. I am trying alternate means to save MERT but being realistic; it is in jeapody.

That is the bad news. The good news is that the gaps left by these ommisions will be filled from within the UK with displays that otherwise we simply did not have time available for. The dissapointment for us cannot be overstated, but it is what it is, and these things are a integral part of airshow production.

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

If it has cancelled could you possibly tell us what the display was due to be :sad: , im sure it will still be an amazing show though.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

D200 wrote:Today has not been a good day for the RAF Cosford Air Show, and I regret to announce that our eagerly anticipated international star performer has cancelled. If that isnt bad enough, so has Chinook, which in turn places the MERT display in crisis. I am trying alternate means to save MERT but being realistic; it is in jeapody.

That is the bad news. The good news is that the gaps left by these ommisions will be filled from within the UK with displays that otherwise we simply did not have time available for. The dissapointment for us cannot be overstated, but it is what it is, and these things are a integral part of airshow production.

So it was true. :sad:

Sad to hear of these cancellations, and indeed with much disappointment given the huge amount of speculation on here with the international performer. But what can you do.

Hopefully it will still be a good show and the replacements can be sort in good time.

Venom, Vampire, Sabre, Sea Vixen and maybe something from Lakenheath or an aircraft on exercise at Fairford - quite a few options; appreciate getting them is another matter entirely. And an Osprey would be a good replacement for the Chinook! :wink:

Best of luck.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

BrizeWatcher wrote:If it has cancelled could you possibly tell us what the display was due to be

Please don't. That will be painful. :grin:

I suppose some people won't bother attending either now. Shame.

D200

Post by D200 »

I suspect the your answer will remain commercial in confidence in order to pave the way for another year. Frustrating I know but there are logical reasons why these things happen and to risk damaging goodwill would be silly. The Chinook story is far simpler, the Chinook fleet is undergoing various stages of modification. The specific airframes required for display work-up have been operationally deployed setting back the display team by several weeks. Chinook will be on the display circuit later in the year, but not Cosford. As always, operational flying takes precedence over public displays.

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Flare Path wrote:
BrizeWatcher wrote:If it has cancelled could you possibly tell us what the display was due to be

Canberra is a big highlight for me, as it is for a lot of people I would imagine! This foreign display was a bonus......

Shame what ever it is/was has cancelled, but hopefully next year? :)
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Maisie wrote:
Flare Path wrote:

Canberra is a big highlight for me, as it is for a lot of people I would imagine! This foreign display was a bonus......

Shame what ever it is/was has cancelled, but hopefully next year? :)

I wasn't using anyone as an example, merely stating.

The Canberra will be the highlight for me, along with the C17 and Red Devils. :smile:

Timc

Post by Timc »

Disappointed...Yes...Gutted...Yes!

In reality am I surprised?...Well, actually...No! :smile:

It's the nature of the beast I suppose. However, in spite of these setbacks Cosford is still looking pretty good! :smile:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

That sucks, I feel bad for the organising team. Hopefully the negotiation and process laid the groundwork for attendance in future years though.

Shame about the wokka, too. The MERT was a really original set-piece last year.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Hard luck guys.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | "soul-sapping mundanity"

A40-BP

Post by A40-BP »

Not knowing what the mystical item was, and being unlikely to ever find out i cant say i am disappointed. But weather providing its going to be a great show. Hoping to kick start my year here.

A40
With dumb bombs and retarded bomblets, why don't they just use stupid missiles?

Shyft87

Post by Shyft87 »

you know what, I don't care.

I'm certain whatever you had planned was going to be brilliant, but end of the day, I love this show.

It's always a decent day out (2010 not included), and it's a day I spend happily with my family, running around pretending to be a small child and just enjoying the frequent sight of things in the air, that, stuck in my office 5 days a week, rarely get to see.

Hope you find some fun stuff to fill the space, *cough*warbirds please*cough*

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Can I ask where the Harriers line and Spotty Jag will be parked in the static; the normal static area where the Dutch PC7 was last year or will you be using the areas where some of the Jags were parked last year? :smile:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:Can I ask where the Harriers line and Spotty Jag will be parked in the static; the normal static area where the Dutch PC7 was last year or will you be using the areas where some of the Jags were parked last year? :smile:

I think I read the UBAS flightline was to be used, which IIRC is the hardstanding in front of the hangar, used for stuff like Bulldogs, Chipmunks and other light stuff. May work out but the public have access all round it so expect background clutter? I'm sure someone will clarify. :up:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

not_the_dj

Post by not_the_dj »

Disapointed about the Chinnock, but still really looking forward to it!

Last year was our first visit to Cosford (or any airshow for that matter) and we loved it. We've got two youung kids, just comming up for 3 and 6, and it was the best family day out we've had.

Can't wait for this year!

(our tickets arrived this week).

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

st24 wrote:
capercaillie wrote:Can I ask where the Harriers line and Spotty Jag will be parked in the static; the normal static area where the Dutch PC7 was last year or will you be using the areas where some of the Jags were parked last year? :smile:

I think I read the UBAS flightline was to be used, which IIRC is the hardstanding in front of the hangar, used for stuff like Bulldogs, Chipmunks and other light stuff. May work out but the public have access all round it so expect background clutter? I'm sure someone will clarify. :up:

Harrier flightline will indeed be located on the UBAS apron. We aim to position them at 45 degrees to give the best possible photographic opportunities but sadly there's not a lot we can do about the clutter! Positons for the rest of the static is still very much TBC but as Chas mentioned previously; Spotty will be wearing her special drop tanks (for the first time ever I believe?!!) and the Gulf War machine will be equipped as authentically as we can, including overwing Sidewinders.

In the office we're all as disappointed as you with our cancellations - but the process of securing replacement items in the flying display has already begun!

With 25 days to go there is a lot of hard work and long days ahead! Now we just need good weather...! :sweat:

andrewman

Post by andrewman »

Shame about the cancellations but I'm looking forward to seeing what we get to replace them.
2004 bathroom window photographer of the year

my facebook

https://twitter.com/Andrewsteer84 My Twitter