Cosford 2014 News [MAIN THREAD]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
D200

Re: Cosford 2014 News [MAIN THREAD]

Post by D200 »

We have not been warned of any impending cancellations.

Harrier Recon

Post by Harrier Recon »

D200 wrote:The Harrier hide is semi permanent insofar as the metal planking remaining in place all year. For 2014 the Harriers will be deployed to UBAS, and it is not possible to mix it with exiting traffic to redeploy it to a hide.....

Thanks for the clarification, I had suggested the organisers redeploy the GR3 to exhibit in it's Hide after the 'Flying Display' finished, to give visitors a reason to stay longer and stagger their departure, to help reduce the traffic congestion. But as this is not possible, then fingers crossed it will be possible for next years Airday ?

After this years Airday the Harriers will be dispersed and Chas is retiring, but if the remaining RAF Cosford team can hold onto the 'GR3' and the 'RAF Wittering Hide', then hopefully enthusiasts may get a secound chance to view the 'Harrier Hide Exhibit' at the 2015 Airday ?

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

two weeks today :yahoo: :yahoo:

Hope the weathers a little more inviting but as long as the rain holds off we it should be all good :up:

Chloe Jane

Post by Chloe Jane »

Can anyone tell me if there is going to be any rehearsal days on the Friday/Saturday before the show. I usually visit on the Saturday with my dad to have a look- but from what I have seen from the last 2 years most of the participants have landed on the air day.

Also is there any more news on the replacement displays? 2 weeks to go and I'm just hoping the weather is nice for us all!

D200

Post by D200 »

RAF Cosford airfield will be open to aviation 0900 - 1700 hrs local time on both Fri & Sat to permit air display arrivals including static display aircraft. It is possible that there may be display rehearsals during this time but due to the flexible nature of this, no program of events will be notified.

The advance weather forecast is presently suggesting a warm (18'c) day with a westerly wind (aircraft operating left to right) and cloud cover (no into the sun = silhouette photography) , which for Cosford is ideal. There will not be the traditional civilian aircraft parked between the crowd-line and the runway facilitating an unobstructed view of the landing and departing aircraft.

Chloe Jane

Post by Chloe Jane »

D200 wrote:There will not be the traditional civilian aircraft parked between the crowd-line and the runway facilitating an unobstructed view of the landing and departing aircraft.

Oh got you, where will the civvie aircraft be parked for their displays then? With it being a short runway - (you will have to excuse me for not having much knowledge with airfields, as I'm only young(brilliant with aircraft though)). Will the aircraft be behind the runway?. Very impressed I'll be able to get some pics of the aircraft taking off as I didn't get many last year.
:sad: :smile:

D200

Post by D200 »

Traditionally there was up to 25 day visiting light civil aircraft that were not display participants. People complained of an obstructed view - we listened - we acted - there are no visiting light aircraft this *year; the exception being invited guests. Most aircraft will fly into and out of display and those that land will congregate at the eastern end away from the majority of the crowd. At this time, I am expecting just 2 small aircraft and a helicopter to be parked at the western end near the Hospitality Marquees.

* This also means that the western departure gate to the Shifnal > Wolverhampton Road should be open sooner then previous years.

Chloe Jane

Post by Chloe Jane »

Oh I got you, well this years show seems to be shaping up well! The team is working very well :)

Bronco

Post by Bronco »

When are we likely to find out what the replacement aircraft will be for the flying display?

LukeBrown

Post by LukeBrown »

I've probably missed it being mentioned but what aircraft have or have been cancelled???

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

LukeBrown wrote:I've probably missed it being mentioned but what aircraft have or have been cancelled???

RAF Chinook
MERT Demo
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

BrizeWatcher wrote:
LukeBrown wrote:I've probably missed it being mentioned but what aircraft have or have been cancelled???

RAF Chinook
MERT Demo

Possibly Hunter and Swordfish too, although neither have been confirmed.

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

What has happened to the Hunter?
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

BrizeWatcher wrote:What has happened to the Hunter?

Required paperwork may still not be sorted and there had been some talk of Spitfire PR11 flying with the Canberra, but no mention of the Hunter. :dunno:

The same reason it missed Abingdon - no paperwork.

strangelookingalien

Post by strangelookingalien »

Flare Path wrote:

Required paperwork may still not be sorted and there had been some talk of Spitfire PR11 flying with the Canberra, but no mention of the Hunter. :dunno:

What is it they say? "When the weight of the paperwork equals that of the airframe it shall be permitted to fly"...

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

strangelookingalien wrote:
Flare Path wrote:

What is it they say? "When the weight of the paperwork equals that of the airframe it shall be permitted to fly"...

The Hunter got its required paperwork a few days after Abingdon, i think
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Where have you got this idea from..? :dizzy:

Hunter T7 is CONFIRMED to take part in the flying display at the show! (And has already flown at Kemble).
MidAir Squadron are flying together (Canberra and Hunter) but you should also be getting a bonus formation of Canberra & Spitfire too as part of our photo reconnaissance theme!

LukeBrown

Post by LukeBrown »

Does anyone think the Vulcan will make it in time?? Only 11 days till the show and they haven't even flown it yet let alone engine runs.
Luke :smile:

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

LukeBrown wrote:Does anyone think the Vulcan will make it in time?? Only 11 days till the show and they haven't even flown it yet let alone engine runs.

It's starting to look a bit unlikely with only 11 days to go.If it doesn't make it this may affect the attendance a little bit for those who haven't yet purchased tickets in advance.It's also another bit of noise that will be lost from a display that hasn't got that many jets.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

LukeBrown wrote:Does anyone think the Vulcan will make it in time?? Only 11 days till the show and they haven't even flown it yet let alone engine runs.

I was thinking this yesterday but then I remembered they managed to get it to Fairford in 2012 after its first flight only 3-4 days before so I wouldn't rule it out just yet.

LukeBrown

Post by LukeBrown »

I certanily wont rule it out. As a member of the Vulcan To The Sky Trust i will always support it even if i put a pound or two in the pot even if it does not make the show. I remember Waddington 2008 when it arrived Thursday night and got its PDA the next day before the show.

Luke

LukeBrown

Post by LukeBrown »

It May well be making it if all goes well after what i just read in the newsletter,

Luke

Over the weekend the team have been busy tying up all the paperwork that accompanies the service and today have been able to lower the aircraft back to the hangar floor after successful completion of the undercarriage retraction tests you might have seen in Friday’s newsletter. Today they are checking over the control surface movements and other items before doing a complete BEFORE FLIGHT routine check to ensure everything works as advertised, ready for the initial ground running tests of the engines. Later this week, providing all goes well, and the flight crew are happy the aircraft is in full working order, they will launch the first flight of 2014.

I just hope all goes well :smile: :clap: :yahoo:

andrewman

Post by andrewman »

Spitfire and Canberra flypast will be good to see, rather looking forward to that.

On the Vulcan its worth keeping in mind in 2009 it did its first flight of the year 2 days before Cosford and still made the airshow so plenty of time yet for them to do the ground runs, test flight and display practice.
2004 bathroom window photographer of the year

my facebook

https://twitter.com/Andrewsteer84 My Twitter

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

I can now release that we have added the following items to the flying display... :up:

GliderFX
Jet Provost T5
Pitts Special (Rich Goodwin)
Old Buckers

All the details are on the website... http://www.cosfordairshow.co.uk

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Any additions are most welcome IMO

Just need the good weather now.