Cosford 2014 News [MAIN THREAD]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Maisie

Re: Cosford 2014 News [MAIN THREAD]

Post by Maisie »

I do love to see big heavies thrown around but thats life, very happy with the Venom though! :clap: :clap:
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Noooooo pretty gutted about the C-17 but on the flip side very happy with the Venom :D

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Maisie wrote:I do love to see big heavies thrown around but thats life, very happy with the Venom though! :clap: :clap:

Not sure you would have seen the C-17 'thrown around' as it was only scheduled for a flypast?At least they have tried to replace it with the Venom.

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

TYPHOON3 wrote:
Maisie wrote:I do love to see big heavies thrown around but thats life, very happy with the Venom though! :clap: :clap:

Not sure you would have seen the C-17 'thrown around' as it was only scheduled for a flypast?At least they have tried to replace it with the Venom.

I wasn't sure what the plan for the C-17 was to be honest, thrown around or a few slow passes are still nice though..
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

D200

Post by D200 »

RNHF Sea Fury is u/s awaiting new parts, and therefore will not be attending this years event. We are reviewing the flying program and options available for replacement. We will keep you advised of developments.

Another set piece photo opportunity this year that has not been discussed, will be a wartime camouflaged Auster with Normandy reinactors with period vehicles in support. A small but timely display given the D-Day Commemorations.

With it being 25 years since the fall of divided Germany, we shall also have a 'border' complete with armed guards and period vehicles. Sadly no Russian helicopters in support, because they are like chickens teeth.

An addition to the static aircraft display will be a Bulldog in Hong Kong Air Force colours, which will be located adjacent to the Portuguese liveried Chipmunk.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

No hiding from the fact the line-up has been completely decimated by cancellations, a real disappointing scenario - the worst, you could say, for organisers. :sad:

The loss of the International performer, the MERT demo, Chinook, Swordfish, Sea Fury, C17 and Defender are fairly significant losses and I would hope adequate replacements are found in time - the addition of the Venom most welcome. But then there's no guarantee that replacements can be sought.

I think you'd be wasting your time on the station platform Saturday. The weather looks horrendous and the vast majority won't arrive Saturday if the weather remains as true to the forecast. In addition, we've had quite a lot of rain today and I do wonder what state the airfield will be in for parking.

My Saturday plans at Throckmorton are disappearing by the hour, due to the forecast. So I hope Sunday will be a much better day. :smile:

2e1var

Post by 2e1var »

Decimated ? Bit strong. Whilst there are a couple of disappointments the line up looks great, especially if you love your cold war jets like me :)
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G

Chloe Jane

Post by Chloe Jane »

Flare Path wrote:
I think you'd be wasting your time on the station platform Saturday. The weather looks horrendous and the vast majority won't arrive Saturday if the weather remains as true to the forecast. In addition, we've had quite a lot of rain today and I do wonder what state the airfield will be in for parking.

Well with how Saturday looks I think I'm going to bring some Wellies to roam around in. Let's hope cars once they are on the site can get back off

strangelookingalien

Post by strangelookingalien »

2e1var wrote:Decimated ? Bit strong. Whilst there are a couple of disappointments the line up looks great, especially if you love your cold war jets like me :)

I agree.

I'm going for the Vulcan, Canberra, Hunter mainly!

Fingers crossed they're all serviceable and that weather doesn't stop them!

Will have a great day regardless. A very good lineup.

I wonder if they could persuade a B-52 to fly through - after all, one is doing a flypast for a D-day event on Saturday!

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

2e1var wrote:Decimated ? Bit strong. Whilst there are a couple of disappointments the line up looks great, especially if you love your cold war jets like me :)

Not really all it leave's that's worth going to see now is the Canberra and maybe the Red Devils, BBMF aren't sending the Lanc . I'm honestly thinking about not going now and just accepting a loss on the ticket price. Just remember next time don't book on a rumor of an international star act.
Like you say looks great if you like cold war jets but if you have no interest in them, then, yes the show has been decimated.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Shyft87

Post by Shyft87 »

*sigh* I knew stringbag would go, but the sea fury? properly gutted...

any chance of scrounging a mustang, or some more classic jets?

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Whilst I do agree the number of Cold War Jets taking part is significant, and believe me they don't come cheap, you can't hide away from the fact Cosford has lost many of its unique items from the flying programme and despite my strong wording, I believe it is with good reason.

First and foremost, it was hoped that this years Cosford Air Show would see a Harrier in the flying display, a star international act and a Globemaster. Had all three come off, we'd be shouting from the rooftops at how this year is looking like a return to the old days - the likes of star performers from years gone-by taking their place, amongst this years performers and what the organisers can work with. In addition, people put stock in those rumours and went and purchased tickets, but are now themselves questioning whether this is a case of "same old".

The loss of the Sea Fury is disappointing, another star item lost. Is it the organisers fault? No, of course not. They're doing as best they can with the resources available. But it does go to show you how an event like Cosford can be damaged so quickly with a few aircraft pulling out. Yes, the replacement in the Venom is superb but now nothing from the RNHF will be at Cosford, which is a real disappointment and I have to admit I did not know the Sea Fury was currently u/s. This all adds to the current cancellations and it's hard viewing for a seasoned Cosford visitor.

Having supported Cosford for many years, I understand the difficulties organising the event. It isn't just a case of "Please send us X aircraft. Thank you." But I do get concerned about the contingency plan and whether suitable replacements can now be sought in-time, otherwise - and at no fault to the organisers - it will be another year that the event has left me wanting more, and indeed at one point, promised more.

stevebrodie

Post by stevebrodie »

So, without having to go back through the thread and try and piece what is and what isn't now flying, is their a current list somewhere of what is 'expected' for Sunday ?
Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

stevebrodie wrote:So, without having to go back through the thread and try and piece what is and what isn't now flying, is their a current list somewhere of what is 'expected' for Sunday ?

http://www.cosfordairshow.co.uk :biggrin:

kianelle

Post by kianelle »

Flare Path wrote:
stevebrodie wrote:So, without having to go back through the thread and try and piece what is and what isn't now flying, is their a current list somewhere of what is 'expected' for Sunday ?

Not helping much when site is still showing original line up. I think that’s a bit naughty if people are still booking tickets on the fact they may see these aircraft flying it’s a bit miss leading . Yes I know cosford say this
*Please note that aircraft scheduled to appear at the RAF Cosford Air Show are booked on the understanding that operational commitments, adverse weather and aircraft serviceability can affect attendance. Therefore our programme may be subject to change for reasons beyond our control and we cannot be held responsible for last minute changes.

But they now know which aircraft are not coming and they should be removed. Wonder if they are thinking take them off list means fewer tickets sold.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Flare Path wrote:

Their site still lists the C-17 so not that up to date.

This list is more accurate as to what we can expect to see on Sunday...

http://www.airshows.org.uk/2014/airshow ... eview.html
Last edited by Andyperkins on Thu 05 Jun 2014, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

davidjones533 wrote:
Flare Path wrote:

But the C-17 is still listed as (F)?

Website is rubbish. Never gets updated properly.

Chas (D200) informed us it was out. He's top dog, so-to-speak - on here anyway. So safe to assume it has Cancelled?

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

kianelle wrote:
Flare Path wrote:

Not helping much when site is still showing original line up. I think that’s a bit naughty if people are still booking tickets on the fact they may see these aircraft flying it’s a bit miss leading . Yes I know cosford say this
*Please note that aircraft scheduled to appear at the RAF Cosford Air Show are booked on the understanding that operational commitments, adverse weather and aircraft serviceability can affect attendance. Therefore our programme may be subject to change for reasons beyond our control and we cannot be held responsible for last minute changes.

But they now know which aircraft are not coming and they should be removed. Wonder if they are thinking take them off list means fewer tickets sold.

Apart from the C-17 it looks pretty accurate to me? as there is no mention of the Seafury, Swordfish or Chinook.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

A rare update has appeared in the Static… :ninja:

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

Venture ZA634 has just cancelled, also.

Update 050614; It is unfortunate that today we have had to contact the airshow office at RAF Cosford Airshow to inform them that ZA634 will be no longer able to attend. Despite test flights, various sprints around the east midlands, phone calls and emails, we have had no choice but to ground the aircraft for probably two weeks until the engineer is available to repair what we now believe is the issue. It would have also been nice to have supported Buckminster Gliding Club with their D Day commemorations on the Friday, but sadly it was not to be. Whilst we don't currently believe that the issue is a serious one, flight safety has to come first. Our apologies to Chas and the team, we really hope you have a great show.

This also presents an opportunity to thank all those helping in the background and a few of you even looking at providing alternative aircraft on our behalf.

Cheers for now.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Don't think I remember a Cosford show in recent time with this number of cancellations. :dizzy:

strangelookingalien

Flare Path wrote:A rare update has appeared in the Static… :ninja:

Are you talking about the Auster?

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

strangelookingalien wrote:
Flare Path wrote:A rare update has appeared in the Static… :ninja:

Are you talking about the Auster?

I'm talking about...

Static update, rare website update. :grin:

•Chipmunk
•Bulldog
•Tutor
•Vigilant
•Squirrel
•Griffin
•Gazelle
•Sea King
•Stearman
•Auster
•Jet Provost 3
•Jaguar T4
•Kestrel

strangelookingalien

So despite everything we still have the following highlights to look forward to:

Voyager
Eurofighter Typhoon
Vulcan
Canberra
Hunter
Venom

Still looking pretty good to me!